Cannot play on my 2010 iMac after update

I was playing this morning and went to a home inspection. When I got back and downloaded the update, I could no longer play because the game requires a Metal-capable graphics device.

To be honest, I can probably still play on my MacBook, as it is newer, but the only reason I even keep this old iMac around is so that my wife and I can play Heroes of the Storm together. We cannot afford a new pc and I’m pretty sure Apple will not upgrade my graphics card and instead suggest I buy a newer model. I don’t really like playing games on my MacBook because the screen is small. Is there any way to run the game previously without the required Metal-capable device? I love this game and not being able to play is really bumming me out…

My iMac has these specs:
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
21.5", Mid 2010
3.6 GHz Intel Core i5
4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Macintosh HD
ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB

Now I’m not a pro-gamer or computer wiz, but this iMac was able to run this game to my satisfaction and I enjoyed playing Heroes of the Storm regularly (mostly quick play).

3 Likes

Me neather, now i can’t play HOTS anymore.

OS might be too old? A lot of people seem to be having the same problem at the moment and it is likely related to the move to Metal from OpenGL (which Mac demanded due to decreasing OpenGL support).

I strongly recommend everyone running into the issue post what system specs they have, like Noctgar did. This might help the developers correlate a cause.

1 Like

This really sucks but there might be one thing you can do to play hots on that imac. Install bootcamp, windows and hots on it.

Or wait for the issue to be fixed. Most recent macs supporting Metal should be able to run HotS.

If this is a compatibility problem with old hardware Blizzard will either fix it soon or raise the Mac system requirements if that is not viable.

Howdy!

We have sticky post about this located Here. I would recommend utilizing your newer Macbook to play the game.

Thank you/

1 Like

Some of us don’t have newer Macbooks or iMac

2 Likes

Bye HoTS, i can’t get a newer Macbook o iMac.

6 Likes

Are you serious ??? I hope you will fix the issue.

Shame on you HOTS, really ! It’s not respecting your customers !! I won’t buy a new one…

1 Like

WTF is that sh%@t??? Just do the OPTION for old Macs!!!

1 Like

Or just give mom money back for all your games that a buy since diablo 1 !!!

3 Likes

Why should I buy new MacBook? I got 16 gb of memory core I7 quad Radeon HD6750 512 mb? So WHY??? It is very solid Mac with SSD Samsung EVO running 10 VMs and 4K video editing? WTF u saying bro?

1 Like

this is A JOKE BLIZZARD i want refund in all heroes of storm purchases please thanks who the fuçk in the right mind wants to spend over 1000 pound to play a heroes of the storm why was this update brought out i was able to play heroes of storm on high graphics with slight gitter but if i had grahpics on low i had 0 fuçking jitters remove this update you fuçking jews

on plus note you can still play dota and lol since that they accually care about the cummunty where blizzard dont care ffs look at world of warcraft classic ffs doesnt even have a setting to play game in old grahics how retarded can you be i have been a member of blizzard games for 16 years of my life now i cant play world of warcraft now i cant play heroes of storm whats next dioblo or even hearthstone you do this cuz people cry that they get freezes with old mac but there using highestgrahpic settings then no wonder have people not heard of low grahpic systems for more enjoyable smooth game play

True, either add an option to play in both graphic settings or just refund every purchase old mac users did. Imagine putting in money because u were hyped for the update, event and skins and u can´t open the game after it is done… Its just a bad joke

2 Likes

They do not have to refund purchases, since technically you benefited from them for a period of time and technically still have access to them even if you do not have access to a sufficient computer.

If you recently made a purchase you may be able to use online consumer protection legislation to get a refund. This varies with region and may or may not leave your account in good standing.

I would suggest people affected by this list their Mac model and what GPU it uses as well as asking Blizzard to lower the requirements to support them again. It is possible Blizzard was not aware of how many people would be impacted by this migration. At least they could give a justification for the Metal feature level they selected.

2 Likes

Wish there will be an option for 32bit client to play for both HotS and WoW Classic.

let’s believe Blizzard was not aware of how many people would be impacted by this migration.

1 Like

Modern MacOS no longer supports 32bit applications. They will not run at all.

Well, it’s time to unistall HoTS. :cry:

6 Likes