Big Winstreak = Big Loss-streak

Win/Loss treaks were always a thing since forever with any moba.

1 Like

5+Win/Loss streaks were never a thing since any moba.

https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/gameplay-balance/XRNmNd7G-does-anyone-go-on-massive-win-streaks-then-massive-loss-streaks

3 Likes

Anecdotical. How many topic on this forum ?

Just like the OP.

3 Likes

where? when? Source? Cite?

Actually, I think I’ll now lead with a quote from the paper I link at the very bottom:

So, here Microsoft, making a matchmaking algorithm used in dozens (hundreds?) of games, and even when the system is tuned and tested with a specific game (read the PDF for info) it still doesn’t have nearly the accuracy you would want.

Trueskill isn’t perfect, but it is not bad by any means. But Microsoft, spending billions of dollars on Xbox and it’s brand and games… Got these results. But hey, except Blizzard to do better.

(to be fair,I do imagine HotS team has an equally good, if not better system myself, if only due to being able to tailor directly to the game. The issue is the many heroes that can be chosen make it much harder. Someone might be a Diamond level when playing most supports, but is at Silver level when playing a tank).

I don’t think you understand how matchmaking works:

1. it will try to set up two teams that each have as close as possible to 50% chance to win.
  2. If it is QM it doesn’t pay attention to things like Illidan being against all auto attack heroes. Or giving a team Lucio as a healer against a team full of Burst damage.
  3. If it is a draft mode, it doesn’t (and cannot) take into account the heroes people will draft. It could in theory be looking at the roles and heroes they draft and possibly make adjusts on that. But I find it doubtful.

I expect most of these “forced losses” are the result of people making poor drafting decision.

Anyhow, back to the point, Matchmaker should be getting you closer to 50% winrate the more games you play, as your true skill is discovered.

While not related to how HotS does things directly, you could read about a, presuambly similar, matchmaking system as HotS uses for draft modes here:

And actually, if we go directly to Microsoft’s website (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/trueskill-ranking-system/) we get a far more interesting statistic:

Now, the thing is, here, HotS would in theory every person need at minimum 46 games to get their skill accurately nailed down.
HOWEVER, this would likely be on a per hero basis. So basically, until you’ve got enough games to hit level 10, it is unlikely Blizzard could even accurately assess how skilled you are with a single hero much less in a draft where you have any number of heroes to choose from.

Now, this is obviously not the system that HotS uses, but the general gist of it is almost certainly similar.

edit, and if you want to see how deep looking at a matchmaking system can go, here, how trueskill 2 works:

1 Like

You can say those never happened, but since forever people complain about huge win/loss streaks.

1 Like

yup, happened all the time in DotA (WC3, not DotA2 by Valve)…

1 Like

Omg you are so wrong. I’m on these forums since 2015’s xmas and I saw a ton of these. Also, nice btag for an alt acc :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Omg you are so always three to say the same thing. Can’t argue more against such coordinated bad faith.

I’ve experienced multiple instances of win streaks followed by loss streaks. It is not imaginary.

2 Likes

3, 4 let’s say, 5 win or loss streaks are somewhat common. 7, 8, 9 + are just a grip in the system.

Why? Because the system should have a system to force a loss after you win a lot? :rofl:

1 Like

Dunno a thing about probability right Darak ? You are perhaps a literary person ? :rofl:

In every match you have 50% chance of winning and 50% chance of losing. If you play 100 matches, you have 50% chance of winning/losing every single one of them. The last match you had doesn’t interfere on the next one. It’s not because you won the last match that you will have less chances of winning the next one.

Your point?

I have a post about matchmaking a little ways up. Read it.

Anyhow, the fact that you can get these massive winning and losing sprees reenforces the idea that the game doesn’t “force” 50% winrate.

It’s just that in trying to gauge your skill (which as the post above points out, is really hard, even for Microsoft, who did a system for multiple games, and probably has spent more money than went into all of HotS development) is insanely difficult.

So yeah, in ranked you’ll end up losing games, most likely due to losing in draft. Or rather “losing in draft” in a manner that causes the “estimated win rate” to drastically favor one team over the other if you took the teams as if they were QM teams.

On the other hand, you have QM, where you run into issues where you have Illidan against a team that is full of auto attacker damage dealers, making him much more powerful than normal.

If the game was “forcing 50% winrate” it would give you losses if you were above 50%, and wins if you were below 50%.

And probably do it in a pattern like W/L/L/W/L/L/W/W/L/L/W/L/L/W/L/L/W/W to edge you down.

Or vise versa for win/loss. Because that way it feels like you’re winning often.

“forcing 50% winrate” by causing sprees of wins and losses is a terrible way to do it.

Especially given how impossible it is in QM without actively looking at teams and determining which heroes to pair up with/against you. And being able to see what people are going to draft before putting them into the draft lobby.

Instead the system naturally tries to give you matches where both teams have as close to a 50% estimated win rate as possible. And sometimes you lose a bunch of games in a row, sometimes you win a bunch of games in a row.

2 Likes

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/heroes/topic/20755636164?page=3#post-50

We’ve seen some responses in this thread regarding a “Forced 50% win rate,” and we’d like to lay that to rest: The goal of the matchmaker and rating system is not to have every player win 50% of their matches, but rather to bring every player to skill rating where they are expected to win 50% of their matches due to being matched against other players of comparable skill. The matchmaker will not punish a player for winning a majority of their games by intentionally pairing them with other players of lower skill rating. If you are an excellent player and go on a 10 game winning streak, the matchmaker has no obligation to stop you from continuing to win. What will happen is that the game sees you performing at a higher skill level and will try to match you with and against higher skilled players to see if you can continue to win, or start to level off.

3 Likes

Lose Streak happen mostly with toxic/afk players in my party reported by the whole team : pairing with higher ranks never happens for me in a lose suit. I play with better players on a win streak and win more until… But I’ll be fair, it’s my own trivial experience.

There’s nothing that FORCES you to lose a lot, the system just grossly over and under estimates your skill level because of poor implementation.

There’s really nothing malicious about it.

2 Likes

They’re statistically improbable in a working system, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist, nor does it mean they were intentionally implemented.

There is no such thing as a forced 50% winrate, just a poorly implemented matchmaking system.

2 Likes