Banned skins? What's going on?

I was looking over the Banned talents heroes and bugs in the heroes lounge page.

I noticed the banned skins.

Prohibited character skins:

• Archangel Diablo
  • Twilight Archangel Diablo
  • Skyborne Archangel Diablo
  • Toxic Archangel Diablo
  • Cyberhawk Kael’thas
  • Sapphire Cyberhawk Kael’thas
  • Cyborghawk Kael’thas
  • Spectre Cyberhawk Kael’thas
  • Maraudin’ Muradin
  • Raider Maraudin’ Muradin
  • Dominion Maraudin’ Muradin
  • Umojan Maraudin’ Muradin
  • Striker Li-Ming
  • Scarlet Striker Li-Ming
  • Canary Striker Li-Ming
  • Sapphire Striker Li-Ming
  • Mecha Tyrael
  • Strike Mecha Tyrael
  • Deathreaper Mecha Tyrael
  • Perfect Mecha Tyrael
  • Cuddle Bear Stitches
  • Honey Bear Stitches
  • Snuggle Bear Stitches
  • Techno Vandal Chromie
  • Jade Techno Vandal Chromie
  • Amber Techno Vandal Chromie

I understand all of them except Bear stitches and Striker Li-Ming. Does anyone have any idea why they are banned?

(Also, banned mounts for anyone interested)

• Arthas Bat Form
  • Kerrigan Bat Transformation
  • Invisible Horse
  • Toy Train
1 Like

The mounted bats affect hero model size unintendedly and have always been banned in competitive play.

Some of those skins effect the color of their skillshots, making them either harder to see or impossible to see for slightly colorblind people.

For example Cyberhawk Kael’thas and Archangel Diablo created certain animations (yellow Flamestrike and light blue Apocalypse) which were nearly invisible against the bright gold background in Sky Temple, to the point the color scheme of the map had to be changed in 2019 to prevent these “exploits”.

7 Likes

Her Magic Missiles are very tiny in this skin. Teddy Bear Stitches I’m not 100% sure, but it’s probably his hook being a more muted colour.

5 Likes

mecha tyraels incoming judgment preanimation is so different to baseline judgment its harder to pre cleanse or pre-unstoppable it
the sound effects are also nearly inaudible to opposing heroes

i always pick this skin for a tiny edge

as for stitches i have no idea, i guess only stitches mains know this one

3 Likes

I get that. Like I said, I understand them all except Ming and Stitches.

Stitches hook isn’t any harder to see with that skin. And his slam is more or less instantaneous so it’s not like you’d have a chance to dodge it based on the animation. I’ll try playing Striker Ming again and see if there’s some issue with projectile color. But I never noticed any playing with or against her.

Or maybe it’s just that Khaldor hates the Bear skin lol.

The cheat comes out.

1 Like

I remember struggling to see Volley Ming’s projectiles a long time ago. On certain maps you cannot see the missiles against the background. Not surprised to see it’s still not welcome in tournament play.

I don’t consider picking these skins cheating however it is slightly unfair. Even if it adds 1% to their win rate in the long term it’s at the expense of fairness.

edit:Cyber Kael was the biggest offender, I literally could not see his Flamestrike at all on Warhead Junction and Sky Temple, until they made Sky Temple darker a while back.

3 Likes

At first I didn’t know this was a thing/understand. Then I understood.

Kool thread!

1 Like

My guess is that bear stitches putrid bile looks so dramatically different to the default putrid bile. It may also be hard to see for colorblind people.

2 Likes

The bear stitches model is smaller than the others that is why. The hit box is the same which makes it frustrating to play against/ as. Seeing a skill shot miss you, but hit is bery bad.