Are Guides on Icy Veins Accurate?

This is why people say Uther is a bad healer.
I’m not trying to top people off, unless we’re nowhere near combat and I have mana to spare.
Trying to time the burst heals and armor to cause the enemy to extend at a location that would have been ideal if my heal didn’t happen at that exact time.

5 Likes

and it’s also why i generally hate having a Lucio on my team; oh look, another soundwave boop that saved an enemy hero. Oh look, Sound Barrier was used, and nobody took any damage in that duration. -.-

2 Likes

I don’t even think Icy Viens is being actively supported…

1 Like

They can be. Anyone can make a guide on icy veins. pros and noobs alike. Do a little bit of research on what ever you find.

Than thats the major issue, as good guides should cover both sides (the good and bad) of any aspect as much as they can. Icy veins doesnt do this on the talent aspect at all, which makes it a horrible source in general.

Even if a talent is effectively useless at your skill level, you can state why it is. But you should also see why it can work on other skill levels and still mention that.

Icy veins seems to aim towards a bit higher skill by relying on things like ‘a minion can block a skillshot’, yet this is already something on a higher skill level. Very likely players that are capable enough to decide their talent build on their own. People searching info on icy veins are generaly not that skilled, so are being completely misguided and do not even get any valuable info. They are being guided towards a talent that causes them to lose more often.

But the main issue remains: there is no guide ingame that assists the players by giving them extended info about talents. Especialy on very situational talents its good to mention that they are this situational.

And then there are people who never care about that info and just take whatever mentions the highest raw damage value.
(for a part i miss the requirement to unlock certain talents by a level restriction. Nuclear Option would be excelent behind a level 50 requirement :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

We actually started a thread to collect the builds of some of the heroes:

The thing is, builds are not enough. They can be something a player can test, but it doesnt explain them why it works, or doesnt work.

If i take the nuclear option example again and quote the icyveins description:

Nuclear Option’s time to detonate takes too long and allows enemies to escape it with ease. As a result, it also keeps D.Va in Pilot Form longer, making her more vulnerable in general.

it does not describe enough. Yes, it states its situational and in most cases not recommended. But there is no mention on why and when it can work. I would for example change it to:

Nuclear Option’s time to detonate takes too long and allows enemies to escape it with ease. If your team can ensure that the enemy will remain in range, it can be a viable talent. But in most cases its better to avoid taking this talent as it ends up being counter productive.
As a side effect, it also keeps D.Va in Pilot Form longer, making her more vulnerable in general. But if your team has sufficient crowd control, this should not be an issue.
A few heroes do have an increased utility with this talent as garrosh can throw the mech to enemies, and extended crowd control effects like for example Void prison, Mosh pit and Ley line seal generaly synergize well.

A quick hall of builds is not going to give such in depth info.

1 Like

Also factually incorrect since you can re-mech after 4 seconds, same as without the talent. If anything it helps you by standing in a huge AoE most players don’t want to approach.
Granted, I rarely use Nuclear Options since I am more “cancer build” D.va who always matrixes and gets new mechs.

2 Likes

God no, never do that. Average forum poster is a gold MMR QM player.

Instead go to heroesprofiles and use the statistical information there to your advantage. If there are talents that are close in terms of winrate and popularity, then try both and see which makes you win more.

1 Like

Says someone, who complains about Tracer :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I dont complain I just ban her.

And Tracer is the highest popularity assassin in higher ranks for a reason. It may be that bug, it may be something else. Its insane though that the bug is still there.

I play master and I don’t see her there, even banned mostly. She appears 1-2 times for 20 games, considering that she gets banned only several times by enemy team, when in other games she’s open.

I am masters on 2 accounts too, but I tend to avoid arguing against statistical facts with the experience of my small sample of personal games…

1 Like

I don’t believe stats in websites and prefer to count on my own statistics during games.

I am guessing that you dont work as a statistician… the websites are certainly more accurate than your own very, very small sample of games.

1 Like

Im not that much into dva that i know those details. But i was using it as an example to make the situations in which it is usefull more clear. (and in this case, i just extended the icyveins text relying on it to be correct - which appears it wasnt).

The talent is just a good example of being massive bait towards new players, which only see the potential of high damage, while in most cases being counter productive, but can synergize extremely well with some heroes, which in turn makes it sometimes a very good choise.

Not a lot of talents are like that, and it shows that the talent is actualy well designed. Its just sad that its being poorly chosen a lot, which is why guiding people towards other talents should be important here.

There is a common saying in german that translates roughly:
Never trust a statistic you haven’t faked by yourself
Which means, every statistic has her flaws given by a tiny database, preselected data or wrong assumptions.

Dangerous words
But true. I learned much more from forum people then icyveins

1 Like

Iv has some ok stuff and some real trash. Whats worse is they dont update them that often. I remember seeing a jaina build that still had envenom almost 18 months after it was hard nerfed and a 6 months after they removed it. It is not a good place to go for a beginner.

Some of the chat channels like mfpt is a much better place. I know if i am there and you ask i will help, but not with every hero.

1 Like

Personally, I would look at Heroes Hearth before I looked at Icy Veins if I wanted someone else to pick my build for me.