AI Mode is Unplayable

:potato: Hi Potato.

:sweet_potato: :potato:

:stuck_out_tongue:

What? Where?
Last time they gave mode breakdown on reddit it was QM/HL/UD and very close one between vsAI and TL (<10%)

I can’t find it, it came up when they first proposed merging HL and TL, they gave a breakdown of the modes. I was really shocked as didn’t expect AI would be so popular. I remember other people making comments about it at the time.

If I got this wrong, I’m happy to admit it. The reason I remember it at all as it was so surprising to me that VS AI would be so popular.

1 Like

This is the big one for me. I’m a software engineer (not gamedev I admit) and I can’t for the life of me imagine/reason/logic a scenario where the code got so borked as to cause the frequent hearths back to occur so frequently.

I’ve seen bots with full hp/mana, no obj about to spawn, core or forts/towers aren’t under attack, bots weren’t going for mercs near base, no team battle near core at all… Hearth, run back to my lane, hearth again then stand just outside the core’s forts away from any kind of action…

I can’t begin to reason out why in my head… Like… There are no initiating conditions (well, correct ones anyways*) to trigger decision processes… Occurring at all… and the bot just does all this weird stuff. Maybe it’s incorrectly assuming/responding to events we aren’t aware of because we cant see what the other team is planning/initiating? Possibly? Probably not.

But the decision to hearth issue is what really makes me scratch my head, as the other back-and-forth pathing thing/issue could be rationally explained.

*Borked code is totally borked. Which i mean would kinda make sense, seeing as vs AI is a huge feature of the overall game (1/5 of the gameplay options) and if it’s taking them a bit to correct… Totally borked… Or they haven’t had a chance to start yet xD

1 Like

i have also seen that Arthas keep running back forth near healing dummy in try mode. We finaly made Arthas crazy :smiley:

2 Likes

Oh poor Arthas!

Well the Devs said in that upcoming AMA sticky that they are happy with many of the AI improvements. I have tried, but I can’t see any improvements compared to the AI of a month ago. I concede they are really, really good at hearthing at full health and Mana. But is that really an improvement?

3 Likes

I just played an AI match on Blackheart’s Bay. Whenever I put Rehgar bot on follow, he would mount up and walk back and forth between the enemy mid lane fort and keep. He continued doing this even while under attack, and only stopped when I turned follow off. I was in the bottom lane.

Such improvements.

EDIT: On a similar note (from the same game!), Nova tried to solo the boss. Like, bold-face walked up to the boss with no teammates anywhere and just started fighting it.

2 Likes

I’ve seen bots with full hp/mana, no obj about to spawn, core or forts/towers aren’t under attack, bots weren’t going for mercs near base, no team battle near core at all… Hearth, run back to my lane, hearth again then stand just outside the core’s forts away from any kind of action…

…They know something we don’t…

1 Like

Pretty sure it’s because they’ve had interns doing the coding for over a year now. Tons of respect to art people on the hots team, but the coders are awful. First really bad time was the pbmmr fiasco a year ago when they just broke the matchmaker… And then the ai got from bad to worse to just useless.

All they had to do is find a couple of decent people who could do both AI and matchmaking like around beta time and this game could be oh so much better.

4 Likes

Honestly I still don’t understand why people like to play vs AI? I enjoy playing vs real oppoents than bots. It’s boring vs AI. Just in my opinion.

I don’t play Vs AI, but AI replacement in PVP modes to be somewhat passable. It used to be very hard to win with an AI replacement, now it’s almost impossible since the changes. If they aren’t going to introduce AFK loss forgiveness like they promised a very long time ago, they need to revert the AI changes.

It also doesn’t matter either of us don’t like vs AI, many people do. The more people who play with this game might stay with it. It is not a good time to push payers away in any mode.

Blizzard should just swallow their pride and roll back the changes to AI. They may see improvements in it, but I have seen no evidence of it.

2 Likes

To quote what I was told:
“Some times you gotta break things to rebuild them bigger and stronger :D”

1 Like

kek, Well that’s true, it sounds like they sure accomplished the broken part:

2 Likes

Get the old coder back on the job, the new one sucks !!

1 Like

A morales-bot just used medivac to fly back to the base instead of using the hearthstone multiple times (this bot was full HP)…

1 Like

Because vs AI players don’t need to prove how superior they are compared to their opponents, but still enjoy playing the core game and/or certain characters.

I’d love it if some sort of (vs AI) Story Campaign was added.

1 Like

Naturally they were full HP. That is one consistency I’ve noticed with the improved AI. They will make sure they have full HP and mana/energy before they get into a hearth loop.

1 Like

While playing QM mode, a disconnected player left my team with a BOT as well. The BOT remains in spawn and does wander in lanes nor assist in fights anymore. This is not an exclusive Versus AI problem. The patch did something to all AI players that makes them absolutely useless.

1 year later… :sob:

1 Like

The patch notes said the bots would remain in spawn until someone clicks them to follow… thats working as intended… the problem is, they are absolutely EFFING WORTHLESS on follow. AI games are even worse somehow, they just do the same thing while spazzing out back and forth now.
Why can’t we go back to 2018? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes