A response to the confusion over STORM league

Exactly, people get matches based on what they prefer, but it still improves the player pool for all three groups. This will not only improve queueing times for all three groups, but a bigger population means a higher chance to match properly (ie, people of similar skill).

Thank you Drothvader, those diagrams really help make it easier to understand.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Forgive my 1337 MSPaint skills.

1 Like

They are using the highest mmr of either mode, it matters not if you cannot queue with players 2 leagues apart, if the current boosted players get to stay where they are.

There will also be an MMR clamp at diamond5, which means anyone who got boosted has to climb back up to masters + GM. Also everyone on top getting clamped down will shift the remaining people out of diamond and below as the space gets taken up. If they can’t climb up, then they won’t. Plus we usually get a baby reset. It is not perfect, but it should improve the rank disparity.

That was discontinued not so long ago (starting with this or maybe previous season).
But the d5 max thing is kind of the same as those “resets” before.

The d5 will be wild for a few weeks (considering that single rank will start with 5% of all players (all 4% of diamond and the 1% master) XD. Although I guess some of current nightly games already have M-GM games with diamonds, so maybe not that different.

1 Like

Yeah it really isn’t that different to current games. I wonder if this is simply a rank clamp or also an MMR clamp. The without the latter, there would likely be little change in how games are currently.

Although come to think of it, it WILL be different in that the GM’s and D5’s will be treated as “equals” - most games will end in very one-sided stomps until masters and gm’s leave the area.

Not necessarily, because current matchmaking takes into consideration both rank and MMR. So yeah depends if MMR is clamped as well.

I assumed that to be true. So GM=D5

Won’t last long. It doesn’t take that many games to leave the d5’s in the dust with 90%+ winrate.

1 Like

RIP me (usually diamond rank), first couple of weeks will be rough.

Well you could skip it. But I would use it as a way to get to play with some of the best players and use it as a learning opportunity. Climbing back from platinum will be much easier after getting toughened up in master games.

The two times I got to play solo lane vs Snitch’s greymane (he’s really an assassin menace), I realised a lot of small things I do that don’t get punished by average masters can be severely and very consistently punished by better players.

1 Like

Yeah I always enjoy playing with the former Pros. But in NA you get to do that on a regular basis even in diamond. Unfortunately, the player base suffered a little more here than in EU. Will still be more often I suppose at the start of next season.

If current boosted players can hang where they are they obviously belong where they are.

In the new system, who cares if they were boosted upward, if they keep winning at least 50% of their games, they’re exactly where they should be.

Will it be initially painful if they belong in a lower spot? Yes, but that will normalize over time.

What matters is that they can’t be boosted like that in the future.

1 Like

Thanks Gnarilex that was my feeling and the general tone of the post.
@tonipoda - No my post wasn’t an example of politeness, i didn’t try that. Not being an example of politeness is not the same as being toxic. There is a huge gap to leap to characterize my post as toxic. Also the OP was a misleading title and a misrepresentation of current news. Just mentioning this may sound impolite but its more important for me to present this fact than be an example of politeness.

About the reddit posts, i am not even willing to check them as i don’t trust a tiny bit of what they say. The patch notes is all that’s relevant to me. Vague promises of what the patch notes will evolve to or the development philosophy is not of my interest in hots as the dev team has repeatedly proven that there is none and ofcourse they will say somethings for marketing.

In order to not write my opinion as i just did, i provided an objective and concrete example in my post that you may characterize as toxic this was the PBMMR. Please, if you want to understand (my stance of disregarding the comemnts on reddit or even on the forums about future development) review the situation of what happened with it (if you were not playing the game or you dont remember). How is reddit trustworthy when even announcements that got hyped at BLIZZCON and then got to live version after a year were pulled back in a day with no explanation other than “it needs fixing” and then never seen again.

4 Likes

It’s almost as if the HotS staff was gutted and left with a handful of people who are more involved with the coding and development.

Or something like that.

And all I was trying to do is mitigate people’s backlash against the introduction of SL by explaining to people what the hots team has told us on other forums (because many people on this forum don’t read reddit).

People were throwing SL out as a total waste of time (yourself included) before they even fully understand its purpose and long term goals.

If you disagree and/or think SL will not accomplish this and/or don’t believe in what the HOTS team says on reddit, you can do that without being passive aggressive and inflammatory such as “Let me fix your title for you”.

You were trying to mitigate people’s backlash by interpreting news however you wish and a misleading title. I disagree with that and that is why i had to comment on the title. I have fully understood the purpose of SL and read the patch notes before commenting on it. Your opinion of what it should become, is noble, but immaterial to this case. And the way you present it, like it is a fact soon to come and that you just enlightened us all because we didn’t understand is offensive in itself.
Let me be clear again, there is no confusion on SL that you have helped clear out. There is no confusion over SL at all, alot of people just dislike it and for good reason. If you like the changes comment on them and why they are good in your opinion. If you think they are bad but will open the way for more positive things to come in the future, then comment on that but don’t present it as a fact everyone else doesn’t know.
The only confusion is that you honestly think that what you present are facts, but they are actually your interpretation of what the future will bring. If you consider pointing this out offensive or impolite, i am sorry but your opinion can’t be immune to criticism as well.

Whats the point of merging the two leagues if they will still have an option to que only as solo? They could have just kept the two leagues since it would be the exact same thing except a new ranked mode name.

1 Like

Did you read the post?

Right on point.
They ruined the player base by making the game worst every patch–> they have problem with queues --> they fix problem with queues by making the game a bit worst again.