A response to the confusion over STORM league

Edited for clarity

So there seems to be some confusion over STORM league. I want to lay out some things to make people understand it a bit better and show them that this will literally benefit everyone (Yes including you who BabyRage about HL only).

I think the confusion here is the fact that blizz hasn’t shipped the final product. They told us in reddit blue posts and AMA (https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/b2muj6/blizzard_please_do_not_use_tl_mmr_to_seed_the_new/eituxsg - for example was posted 1 day ago) that they need more time, but in future patches we can expect the option to toggle solo only and also have separate MMRs for solo vs party queue. What this means as a whole:

A solo only queuer can get a match with another solo player who opted to also fill teams. This is NOT the same as separate HL and TL. Storm league will drastically improve queue times and matchmaking for solo only players and solo players and party players. Everyone will benefit.

Regardless of whether you queue solo only or queueing solo (but not solo only ), you will be working on your solo MMR. If you opted into solo only you will only play against other solo queuers (regardless of whether they opt solo only ). If you didn’t opt into solo only , you can match into games with solo queuers and/or fill parties. Regardless of what you matched, since you queued solo (even tho you are filling a team) you will work on solo MMR.

Ideally matches still prefer to match parties against parties, however, putting everyone in the same league allows a little more mix and match to improve queue times and matchmaking all around. This will actually benefit everyone for queue times as well as fairness of matches.

People who care most about solo only will have improved queue times and better matches. People who want to queue solo but want faster matches can also do that. People who want to queue as a party can also do that.

Furthermore, someone who plays alone can display their skill with solo MMR, which was determined only by queueing solo (regardless of whether they ended up playing against other solo players or against parties, it is a showcase of individual skill).

Overall, bigger competitive population means better queue times and better matchmaking. And this is literally what everyone has been screaming for and wanting.

OVERVIEW:
Three populations will be intertwined providing best matchmaking for all three
(pictorial view below in the comments @drothvader):

solo only → can play against solo and solo only
solo → can play against solo only, solo, and party
party → can play against party and solo

solo only and solo have “HL MMR”
party have “TL MMR”

10 Likes

Funny how blizz didnt mention any of this in the patch note.

6 Likes

They are essentially doing nothing about the boosted player issue, so it doesn’t matter if you solo only or not if you’re still going to have people who do not belong at that level on your team.

7 Likes

I’m fairly certain it’s basically a solo q’able TL, and they are essentially dumping all those who played HL almost exclusively into the TL filter carrying over their MMR…and that’s the just of it…so it’s current TL renamed and that’s it.

4 Likes

They essentially really are though, no more than two leagues apart is far better than how a GM can currently carry bronze atm

Yeah…indeed.When they plan rechange something new.they must think about many aspects or all .
Or like this guy Tigerson( creator of this topic)…did explain very well everything.
But even we got short queue and not lose our long time( i mean about when we was saparate in HL and TL). Situacione would same with this current MM or MMR points system. Because new something drastically new way we be matched or defite better who deserve his own league.
That why i did suggest something new way how we be Matched or defite who desrve his own league like these my ideas…

Or this current ELO MMR system be reworked some of these points.
Then, only be a way better the games(i mean when we play our games,not something any other genrge game).
To now 4 years proof this way Match Macking is not for game the is team based and had 20 achievements.

This is what I thought storm league was going to be. Not this confusing mess of hidden queues inside one, which would defeat the purpose of merging the leagues together.

1 Like

This rule only applies to parties <5 people. What they should do is ignoring the lowest MMR in a party and let people play with whoever they want to play. Better a challenge than a “you are not allowed to do this” sign. Ranks don’t mean anything in this game anyhow.

Right, I believe this individual has information the rest of us don’t or is grossly overthinking the process as the patch notes at no point make mention of a toggle-able solo q mode for Storm League which would, as you say, render this whole update pointless.

well you see more sub 5 man’s with a high ranked player carry than you do 5 man’s in general, so I do believe it will relieve a good deal of the current state of imbalanced games due to high ranked player carries.

I don’t have a problem with 5 man’s carrying their team to where they should be although i also agree with you it would help not to encounter a team like it in lower lvls of play at all.

1 Like

I’m guessing we are all aware of the fact that they are simply bringing back the OLD system. the one thats been in place BEFORE the 2.0 changes.

Like many other changes that they’ve made to the game and then changed back again.

I’ve said it many many times before and I will say it again. the transition to 2.0 was a disastrous move and lead to the many many issues we see today.

Its a good thing they are reverting back to the old system.
I still think it is not enough.

I still think they should also HARD RESET the mmr and not just transfer it as it is to the new system.

why? because many players, like me, needed a long time to learn and understand how to play this game andeven tho I’ve been playing this for 4-5 years now I am still affected by the many many losses I experienced as a new player.

They should also need to completely change the way they make the teams imo but that is for another post :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I mentioned, Blizzard has not shipped the final product… They have confirmed on reddit and during the AMA that the changes I outlined will eventually hit the servers and that the current PTR patch will come as a “pre-season” rather than a full fledged season.

In regards to other responses, generally when people abuse the MMR system they try to queue with bronze. If people play with <2 leagues apart that generally means that their rank is probably accurate and the matchmaking will act accordingly. If you do not want to play with those players on your team, you always have the option of queuing solo only which would only give you solo players close to your own MMR.

1 Like

Bro, you dont understand the matchmaking process in this game.

It does not care about your specific mmr. it cares about balancing the TEAM mmr. as a result you can have a team of 5x1000 skill vs 4x200+1x4200skill and this silly compositions will still be considered balanced to the matchmaker…

1 Like

yes but you are grossly overestimating how much of a max MMR difference the matchmaker will allow. Especially now with the party restrictions. Besides a bigger population can only help.

3 Likes

I understand now, I didn’t understand before. I was confused and I wasn’t able to play because I can’t play if I don’t understand the math and the stuff. Now that things have been cleared I can enjoy the game, because I will play it in a way that will give me results, not just like if I didn’t care. People that don’t care that much is because they are bad and toxic and they shouldn’t even be playing. We are the important players. We are gamers. United we stand.

1 Like

Anyway I do not deny that what the PTR has is basically a glorified version of current TL. But I just wanted to point out that this is not the final product and sort of lay out what blizzard has coming in future patches. Of course this is all based on the AMA and reddit responses.

I wish I could see more of what is coming from the future. That way I would have more information about the game I love. I play too but I also care about the content. I mostly play when there’s new content to unlock. I love the loot. My account is very valuable to me because it is a collection of items that I own. I can’t use them all at the same time but I can use any item that I have on my account.

I also like that we can use the chat to look for group so that we can add players and get more XP! It’s very easy to find players to get more XP. And they are calm and focused like me. They don’t mess around trying to have “fun” like getting the boss of a map if the enemy team is all alive.

That is a stupid thing to do and a clear sign of not knowing how to play.

I am not an AI but I am an intelligent Human being and that is why I play the game like it should be played.

I don’t play it wrong like stupid people do.

If this is true, it sounds horrible and will result in a failure the likes of which is rarely seen in a game.

1 Like

explain, because to me this seems like a very good idea. In fact, other games like DOTA2 work similarly

Other mobas do no difference between solo only and solo.

that is pure false… Also that doesn’t really explain why its bad.