9 years in and…

I’m still enjoying Heroes of the Storm.

I have also fully embraced Quick Match in all of it crazy imbalanced glory. Obsessing over team comp only makes the game boring and unfun.

If I had the time I’d love to join one of the tournament leagues for the competitive fun but I really don’t have that kind of time commitment available. Also, I’m just not patient enough with players who get super serious over just having some fun.

Here hoping that as the kids grow up they too realize that fun is more important than their dreams of being an esports champion.

Just for the hell of it I’ve been streaming my games on YouTube. You can watch all of the good, bad, and ugly over at

5 Likes

I also came back again to give this game a chance after quitting it over 1 year ago. It has its moments but there are still trolls that ruin games cause yea whatever.

2 Likes

No one is playing HOTS anymore with dreams of being an esports champion. Fun is subjective. There’s no wrong way to experience it, but if you feel the need to mock others for taking the game seriously, you’re probably just using it as a shield to be bad. But glad you can finally recognize QM for what it is.

4 Likes

One guy I played against today had 15k+ games. I’m going to say that’s an excessive amount of playing Heroes of the Storm. Unhealthy even. Almost his entire match history was with Alarak. He was stupid good. I played a lot of Xul but my paltry 597 games doesn’t even compare.

Anyway, it seems like there are plenty of players out there with a love for the game. Maybe too much love.

:cowboy_hat_face:

I got 16k + on my account cause I have been playing since Thrall was released. I can say in my early days of Hots I could easy play 20 games every evening.

That’s a lot. 20 games isn’t “an evening”.

I couldn’t agree more, Quick match is my way to enjoy the game and I don’t mind imbalance between characters… I just play whoever gives me the most fun, regardless it’s rank.

It’s like old school fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Tekken, Soul Calibur and so on), there was always stronger and weaker charcaters in those games but back in the days, days without internet and patches, we did not care and enjoyed those games anyway. Plus one could always master a so-called “weak” character and shine with it.

2 Likes

Back when this game was new and had tons of players and a thriving scene, plenty of people on my friend list played the game for 3-5 hours daily. 20 quick match games a day is roughly 6 hours which is a lot, but not on the extreme end of the scale especially on weekends.

My biggest streak was probably during the launch week, when I had no work or school and played the game for 12 hours straight. :smiley: It was magical to play the game together with all the Diablo, WoW friends from over the years who were just as drawn to the game.

It never lost it’s mass appeal until around 2017-2018 which is when a lot of people started quitting for various reasons.

3 Likes

Playing a long stretch here or there isn’t unusual but to play 15-20k games over 9 years probably indicates something completely different.

I play a lot more HoTs than the average player, and even I only have around 2k games played.

In the past I may have played 20-30 games in a week at the peak of my try hard phase of playing HoTs. In 2024 I play maybe 10 or less games per week. A far cry from 20+ per day.

I can’t even imagine what kind of lifestyle that is. If a such a player works an 8 hour day, that means they come home and then sit at their desk for 6 hours a day, then go to sleep. Someone else must be taking care of this person. Visions of a parent’s basement or living in squalor kind of situation. I don’t think anyone should be proud of that kind of commitment or “accomplishment”.