Why is Mage running Pelican Diver?

I know people neckdeck.
But when I see Mages running Pelican Diver (4/1, 1 cost rush), I couldn’t understand why.

That 4/1 seems useless. Won’t it be better switched out for some mage spells?

1 Like

I see this in lists when the mage player don’t want to use cheap spells for get a lot of armor with the 3/4 minion and to have the best use for the legendary getting the better stats and major discount possible.

The 4/1 rush is perfect to deal with the early agression without the cheap spells.

3 Likes

when the deck was first created it was a set-up for spammy arcanist. idk what function it has now except for early removal. like a tempoed brann or bolner.

1 Like

Funny how people can’t answer a simple question.

The pelican is only played in big spell mage, which only plays 2 different spells.

Naturally, that means you need to play minions in the early game since you don’t have access to spells, that’s when the lil’ guy comes into the picture, he’s a great anti-aggro tool that can kill pretty much any 1 or 2 drop out there.

He’s one of the best card to keep in the mulligan but I feel like he’s only being played because there’s not many other great early game options.

4 Likes

A 1 Mana removal card for most early game minions in a deck that can’t run cheap spells without ruining synergies with evoker and balinda is a good card.

If they didn’t have that restriction, they’d definitely be running something else.

In that very narrow niche, pelican diver is a pretty decent card.

3 Likes

It’s also a good card to give the other player when you use Theotar.

1 Like

Yes, outside of the turns 1-3 is pretty useless.

Big Spell Mage’s biggest problem is getting snowballed early on. Pelican is really effective removal for the cost without ruining the whole “Big Spell” thing.

1 Like