Why are this two new cards so bad

Name an objective method to measure the claim “Best Burger in town”

there isnt one because the claim itself is subjective. thats my point. its puffery. not false claims.

same for measuring “Best Service in town” cant be measured objectively, because what is best to you and what is best to me can be wildly different ideas of what merits “best” or even “service”. You might take a vehicle into a shop and be pleased with a quick turnaround time and thats all it takes for you, but for me it might be that same thing plus I expect the vehicle to be washed and detailed and given the new car smell again, as well as being given a loaner car to use for free while I wait for my vehicle to be fixed. All those things are what it might take for me to consider what counts as “best” or even what my bar is for acceptable… whereas your bar of acceptance and your bar of “best” being the one metric of quick turnaround time cannot be squared objectively with my bar of acceptance and “best”. its a subjective idea of what we consider best. Someone else might expect everything I did plus to be given hot coffee and fresh donuts in the waiting room while awaiting the assessment to be completed. raising the bar even more.

Puffery is just those subjective claims that cannot be held to a seller as legally binding claims as they cannot be objectively verified.

an objective claim would be something like “Contains 50% more of X than Leading Brands” so that when you compare the product to a similar packaged one from its competitor from leading brands in the same category, you can look at the quantities of X in each one and clearly see if the claim is true or false. so when a generic brand package of cookies for example claims it has “50% more cookies than Chips Ahoy!*” (the * indicating the claim is based on the similar packaged version of the Chips Ahoy cookies it is referring to for this package of cookies the claim is printed on) you can walk to the Chips Ahoy package its talking about count them up and see if it indeed contains 50% more cookies or not. Because counting an item and making claims based on the amount of a thing is an objective metric that can be verified.

1 Like