What's the estimate on Blizzard gutting the F2P model?

so, to summarize, we have to pay to get the complete DK starter pack :+1:

1 Like

like we ve doing …with any other classes…for years

Lies about this:

then immediately contradicts itself with:

don’t trust those acting as spokespersons or promoters for the company. EVER.

FALSE!

Demon Hunter set was given away free. TWICE.

Obvious lies are super obvious.

|* DING*

1 Like

Doubtful the FTP model ever goes away. They need to bring in new players to keep the game running. The bulk of their profits are new players buying to get into the game and those too lazy to work the FTP model. They lose so little on FTP players it’s pointless to take away the illusion of FTP to the bulk of their player base.

1 Like

Weird, I never spent 2k gold for each class to get a starter set of cards

I am wondering how new players (who will start playing at the launch of the next expansion) will be able to afford a 2k gold set to play DK :joy:

There must be something I am missing; maybe after the expansion launches we will get a “bonus special event!” That gives us 2k gold?
They may even call it “not the rewards we didn’t give you during the firefestival” event, it would be thematic

2 Likes

Kind of flies in the face of

I honestly don’t see how they bring new players in either but i mean that’s have CG’s work. they need to bring in new blood to increase or even maintain profits at this point.

wow you keep repeating the core set wont be free even when that lie is easy to check by reading the announcement about the DK core set being free

the 2000 gold pack will make cheaper to jump into DK than any other class since i doubt youll get 3 legendaries and 3x2 epics for other classes for less gold
of course that will depend on how many neutrals from previous and new expancions end up being useful on DK decks
so itll be better to wait a bit to get the path of arthas set

thats the only reason im glad we cant pull those cards from march of the lich king packs
we can open expancion packs without worring itll lower the set value

They aren’t gonna bring in anyone for very long with strategies like this.

When they announce Hearthstone 2 and then it’s the same game except with a new, greedier monetization system.

If HS2 happens I won’t bother. They have already ruined this one.

I wouldn’t put it beyond them to do it but that would literally be the stupidest thing they could do.

1 Like

It’s only a matter of time.

Overwatch is textbook exploitative game dev, the kind of business model that gets talked about at conferences. It’s aimed at max revenue extraction, and fun is not a design parameter.

This is why Kaplan and others left, because the suits decided their record profits weren’t record enough. It’s also why the entire Hearthstone leadership left in the past few years, because more is on the way.

You can see it in the new event track, with more things to click, more things to be thinking about, more rewards of different kinds, and even more pressure for that critical daily login FOMO.

I know what’s happening, and I don’t like it. I also don’t know how to stop it. Quitting is the only leverage we have, but I at least still like the core gameplay and the exploitation isn’t interfering with it like it does for me for Overwatch now.

4 Likes

The game is just in the final stage of its cycle. Where developers no longer look at the long term development of the game but instead focus on max revenu.

I dont think they will gut f2p. Whatever that means since i dont see how you can play standard when beeing f2p. There is to many nerfs and changes so your small collection does not work for a whole cycle. But ya i dont think they will stop giving out packs,its the only way to get new players to try out the game.

A few days ago i posted i never received a welcome back offer from blizzard,and that getting one might make me try constructed again. Then yesterday i got welcome back offer for 20 packs and now i feel a bit silly for making that post. Since i wont even go claim them.

I dont know,blizzard should make something completely new and revolutionary again. Like how they did with starcraft and also heartstone when it first game out. This game has ran its course,maybe bg got a few years left in it.

It wasn’t CoD money, and it certainly wasn’t Candy Crush money. I think Blizzard was the lowest profit branch of Acti-Blizzard iirc so naturally the suits were livid about it.

Not that Old Blizzard was great people, either. Apparently.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again:

Our favorite games are under the care of foster parents who mistreat their children.

1 Like

How is 2k cheaper than literally free :thinking:

We still have to find DK cards from packs, the arthas starter set is just an extra they had to do to give DK equal ground to other classes

But why are you also glad about this set not being free?
It seems you are happy you have to pay gold to play the new class, when we could have (and should have) got it for free

2 Likes

company propaganda, getting longer and longer each time. Trying to convince people that paying for something that was free before is better.

It’s not. Simple as.

Ruh Roh! The emperor’s new clothes have been exposed as a sham yet again!

It does make me wonder if the DK card model is not a test bed to see if they can start charging more for cards.

1 Like

I mean, think of the advantage they just gained with this method.

People want new classes. They’re exciting and create that sense of an experience yet to be fulfilled. So, now by just a small margin they make you have to give up your money/gold to purchase the content in it’s entirety. There’s pretty much zero downside in that they’ll force gold out of F2P players pockets, hoping that this’ll incentivize a purchase in the future when the gold runs out. And your buyers, whales are going to sink cash into it anyways.

You can bet that if they bring out the Monk, the whole package will need to be purchased.

1 Like