What should a returning player do?

I started playing during Naxx and quit at the and of Whispers of the Old Gods.
What should i do? I tried playing Classic, but I’m stuck at low silver, since I’m facing Legend Players, with the same decks they use on legend, playing the same way they do on Legend. In every aspect, except my rank, I’m in Legend.
So i tried three arena runs… that went 0-3, 1-3 and 2-3.
So i used HSReplay to tell me a deck i can build with what i have, so i built control priest and went standard… but the deck has less than 1/3 winrate and there are also Legend players with Legend decks at low Bronze.

So… what am i supposed to do?

Have you gotten your free Deck yet?
Priest is a realy bad choice to start of now , maybe try Paladin or Rogue you can make realy good decks with those classes that dont cost that must dust and that will help build up your collection again.

It really depends, are you willing to put some money into the game to catch up or just stay F2P? Priest and the meta in standard are not great currently by the way

I played BattleGrounds during this time, am i eligible?

I would prefer going F2P.

Damn i dont think you are …Its a shame some of those decks realy help alot.
I still recomend you play another class it will be realy hard and will take alot more time to catch up with Priest.

Its a p2w game, spending money helps.

Ok, don’t know exactly how the full returning players decks reward function but try to open the whole core set by leveling all 10 playable classes up to level 10.
If your collection has not that many good current cards may as well start a new account you can get a free deck once you breack out of the begginer ranks wich are full of twinks be warned, but you may start to know some of the new cards.

Yeah, but it’s not worth spending money unless you buy at least 50 or more packs. Anything less than that and the cost/benefit is terrible.

Well, of the free decks, HearthArena says it’s the one with the most winrate.
And I really, REALLY don’t wanna play a face deck. During TGT I played MidRange Paladin (NOT the Misterious Challenger one), and during WotOG I played N’zoth Paladin.

This is kind of why an argument could be made for a straight up ranking system as opposed to a hidden MMR system. Just because you are a Legend player during The Old Gods doesn’t mean you’re a Legend in the current meta.

I do get the reason behind it though. The flip side is it’s not really fair for a new player in Bronze to play against a Legend veteran that happens to be there at the time. I suppose the current system is the best.

The good thing is that building a control deck is easier to get into with the Core Set. Especially for Warlock and Warrior.

For a player who is getting back into Hearthstone, wants to have some fun and still win games, it helps to be able to work with what you’ve got in collection - what you’ve opened in packs. It’s pretty tricky right now, but I’ve been able to win games with Egg Warlock variants, Beast Druid, a Big Priest build, Murloc Shaman, Elemental Shaman. So it’s not just Paladin and Mage everywhere on ladder :unamused:

If you look on HSReplay, you’ll find this Core Set Warrior. https://hsreplay.net/decks/pDMLgzmsYvYj9lQfXEWFCd/#tab=overview
I have to say a bunch of these cards are pretty dead and not what you are looking for in building a Control Warrior at this time.

I would try and push it towards this (this is a cheap build that is more mid-rangey than Control that I need to test more):

Control Rush

Class: Warrior

Format: Standard

Year of the Gryphon

2x (1) Athletic Studies

2x (1) Sword and Board

2x (2) Bulk Up

2x (2) Cruel Taskmaster

2x (2) Execute

2x (2) Minefield

1x (2) Slam

2x (3) War Cache

2x (4) Barricade

2x (4) Sword Eater

2x (5) Brawl

2x (5) Ogremancer

1x (5) Overlord Runthak

2x (5) Scrap Golem

1x (5) Taelan Fordring

2x (6) Shieldmaiden

1x (8) Grommash Hellscream

AAECAePjAwSoigSqigSGoASLoAQNzb4D9sID4swDjtQDtd4Dtt4D9+MD/+cDmu0Dn58EiKAEjKAE7aAEAA==

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Maybe meet in the middle and add in new Alexstrasza and some other cards.

Because Classic is new, you’re meeting lots of good players climbing - kind of like back in the day when everyone had to start from rank 16-25 every month.

However, next month, the matchmaking will kick in, meaning you’ll be more likely to meet people at your skill level. So if you can be patient this month, next month will probably be a much better experience.

I would stick down the classic route, I’m trying my hand at decks I can make without crafting first, so far I’ve found 3 decks:

-Zoo warlock
-Beast hunter
-Aggro rogue (though leeroy is mandatory probably)

I think a lot of people still haven’t done their mega craft for classic yet so it might be fine to push for say platinum now and then go from there next month and yeah it should get easier.

Do you have a lot of old cards? If so, play wild as it doesn’t change a lot. Play discard warlock or secret mage or pirate warrior.

If not, try standard. just build a pally deck and climb. It’s cheap as it doesn’t need any legendaries. Just 3 sets of epics - conviction, Oh my Yogg, and call to arms. the rest are rare and commons. This is the set that is dominating the legend listing now.

I would say the best decks he/she can play in wild are mech paladin or disco lock (budget version), but these are not incredibly effective decks at the moment, like I said I would just try my hand at classic, I’m guessing that would have at least most of the rares.

That Pali deck you speak of I am 5k (I guess 2k without the legendaries) dust away from building so I can hardly recommend especially since it’s going to be nerfed to the ground in a week.