What packs to buy?

New player here. I am undecided what I should buy. I just purchased 60 outland packs and I dont know if I should buy another 60 packs or invest in some solo adventures. I was gonna buy max, black rock mountain, explorers and one night in Kar. But I dont know how valuable those cards are now and I wanted to hear some other options on what I should buy.

1 Like

Out of all the adventures, I’d suggest you buy League of Explorers and Blackrock Mountain. Cards from the other two adventures don’t see much play. If you’re looking to play wild, buy 10-20 packs each of Kobolds and Catacombs, Knights of the Frozen Throne, and Journey to Un’Goro. Those are the most powerful sets in wild, and given that you are guaranteed to get a legendary in the first ten packs of a set, you will likely get some deck-defining legendaries. Download the free Frozen Throne adventure, you get a Death Knight hero card for completing the prologue. Don’t disenchant your free Hero card, even if you don’t like it. All the death knights are very good cards that can be placed into almost any deck. Don’t buy The Grand Tournament or Rastakhan’s Rumble packs. Those are pretty bad expansions.

1 Like

Depends on what you want to achieve. I guess you can calculate the price per pack in adventure and 60 pack bundle on your own. Find out about wild and standard format, this can help to answer your question. Find about which decks you want to play and where those cards come from. I personally only buy the latest expansions.

You should only be buying Standard as a new player.

Outland and Dragons are the best sets.

2 Likes

Don’t buy any, play the daily quests and learn that volume cards don’t make any difference at all.

When I started playing I thought buying cards allowed you to compete - it doesn’t.

You need specific cards and you can only get them by buying masses of packs or crafting them.

Play for a period and learn how restricted your card choice is before investing in what you will probably regret.

In this game, you have wild and standard modes to play.
Wild uses ALL cards
Standard uses last 2 year cards.

First you need to choose what to play.

I only play standar, so i can advice this: Buy packs from Ashes of Outlands and craft specific cards from older sets.

Ashes of Outlands will last for 2 more years (2020, 2021).

Rise of Shadows will last for 1 year (2020).
Saviors of Uldum will last for 1 year (2020).
Descent of Dragons will last for 1 year (2020).

Galakrond’s Awakening is the only adventure avaiable in standar. (buy it!)

Have fun! :slight_smile:

I have also been wondering this… I was looking to get more of the standard sets. From what I am watching that is the best idea if you want to play competitively.

Certainly you want to buy packs of all the sets in whichever format you’re playing, ONE AT A TIME, then open them until you get a legendary. Then go on to the next set in your format.

Take advantage of the “you get a legendary in the first 10 packs” rule. And I’ve personally found that I usually don’t have to go all the way to #10 in order to get the legendary.

Once you get it in any given set, stop buying that set, since your next legendary for that set once you get your first might take up to FORTY packs to get.

So if I were a new player:

I’d probably play standard because I’ve missed a TON of sets in wild. But I don’t play wild, so what do I know? Maybe you don’t need most of those older cards.

Then, I’d do what I said above for each of the current expansions (outlands, shadows, uldum, dragons), buying packs one by one, stopping at the first legendary.

Once I was finished with that, I’d switch back to Outlands and again go until I get a legendary, then stop. (To save time, I’d probably do 5 packs at a time rather than 1 here). If my legendary came early, say in the first 20 or so packs, I’d go again, buying packs until a legendary. At that point, you probably bought 50-60 packs of outlands, which gets you most of the rares.

Now if I needed a bunch of rares from the other sets for the decks I want to play, I might switch back to those, since rares in older sets are more valuable than extra ones from outlands. Again, stop once you either have whatever rares you need or hit a legendary.

Always take advantage of the pity timers for legendary cards and the duplicate protection.

For wild, the same basic process works, though I probably would buy packs from all the old sets before I did my extra rounds from the current one. Again, taking advantage of pity timers and duplicate protection.

1 Like

u get a legendary in first 10 packs of the recent 4 expansions plus classic, imo find a meta deck you want to play on hsreplay website and see where most of the commons/rares come from for that deck.

too few folks play wild and things are a mess there, so u don’t need to make that heavy of a investment…its just a waste of money.

and don’t make too much investment in standard since u get alot of standard packs from rewards/events and 1 every week from weekly tavern brawl.

He has hundreds of bucks sitting on his desk, he has the choice to waste them on a CCG such as HS. And you don’t need to teach him newbie information, 10 people before you told him already, and by the way, he almost never replies.

well in that case, why ask when op can buy it all :smiley:

Hey!
You can actually use my sheet for that:

I just updated it yesterday for MDF!

it looks at the stats of each card on HSReplay, and tells you which pack you should buy, depending on which cards is played :wink: