What is a good or decent Battlegrounds MMR?

What do you guys consider a good Battlegrounds MMR ?

I never attempted to climb in the past, purposely stayed at low MMR to complete all the achievements (which I did except the 1000 top 4).

Now that I’ve completed everything, I decided to climb to the highest floor (6000 MMR) without issues on the latest patch & reset.

I won’t get any higher, I’m just going to camp that floor to facilitate upcoming achievements hunting and have some fun without going through the anger of having an awful game and losing some points (because it completely ruins my mood and there’s no incentive to reach the leaderboards). If I get a terrible hero or very bad early game, I just concede and move to the next game. If I get some points, I’ll concede the next game to instantly drop back to 6000.

However, that got me wondering, what is an actually ‘‘Good’’ to ‘‘decent’’ MMR in Battlegrounds ? According to hsreplay, 5700 is currently top 20% of players, which is a surprise to me, I didn’t think 6000 would be that high. Or maybe it’s just their data that’s not very accurate since the MMR got reset recently.

As a battlegrounds player, what is your usual MMR and what do you consider an average to good player ?

Its hard to say.

The mmr that we can see ingame isnt really a good indication for anything skill related as this mmr benefits from grinding. This allows players with a relatively low internal mmr to still reach 13k at the end of the season. Its a rough indication but nothing more.

I think the weird thing about battleground mmr is that you always keep a real hidden mmr that determines all the matchups, but your displayed rating isn’t used at all for matchmaking, and as mentioned goes up.

So it could be entirely possible a player afking at say a 6k ranking and another ranking could reach a afking mmr. Or two serious players to push. Haven’t done much bgs though, but i guess you could say the same about ranked. As long as anyone keeps up a 50%+ wr they can get to diamond 5, it just depends on how much you want to play against the rest of the people in the ladder.

I’ve played BG since the beginning and range 6-9K, depending on how much fun Im having with the s-tier heroes. I’ve reached top 200 for a few days but that was my best.

Imo rating is vague a lot of times but roughly:

<4k = new
4-6k = getting good
6k-9k = good
9k + = even more consistently good and use mmr grind strategies

I think if you just got to 6k you’ll see the competition getting much more consistent than 4-6k. I think 6-9k is a sweet spot where you’ll see good play and diverse strategies (most appealing of which is people trying to go galactic). In late 8k, you’ll see midrange strategies a lot more, as playing for 3-4th place is sadly a common way people grind for mmr. Imo the meta that comes from that sucks because it ends faster, has less variety, has less spectacular builds, and it seems to reward mediocrity.

Personally I suggest not caring about the rating. Continue to play the way you want to play and just let the mmr land where it lands. If you push hard to higher playing an un-fun way you’ll find yourself unable to win at those levels without a focus on the few OP strategies that prevail.

4 Likes

Battlegrounds MMR is weird. I cruised up to 4500 and then just smacked into a wall and went on a top 7 train.
it was just like… top 3 top 3 top 3 top 3 top 3… 7th 7th 8th 7th 6th 8th.
the competition level just changed on a dime.

the difference is how freaking FAST players get their busted comps together.
It’s demoralizing because i have no idea how they do it. i take what i get… which pretty much is nothing most of the time at that level… seems like all the good minions just disappear once i hit that “wall”
it’s frustrating because if you aren’t STACKED by like turn 7 you’re taking 25 damage a turn.

1 Like

for you bee 9k+ is good

i think that there were stats ,that 6600 were something like TOP5% and 8500 is TOP1%.

I would say that if you have all achievements, you should be aiming for something around these ranks.

I’d say that 5000+ is above average and pretty fine. 6500+ is very good if you consider that it was the top 5% of players (or at least that was what some sources claimed).

That is, if you want to have a SR target to aim for. After that, try to climb as much as possible but only if you still have fun.

My opinion is not to worry about any SR goals, just try to play as good as you possibly can, and have fun in meantime. Set your SR goals gradually, one step at a time, and you’ll climb as naturally as you can, until you hit your ceiling.

I climbed to 9.2k last cycle before the frogger meme patch. I’d say anyone who has ever reached 7k can probably make it to 9 or 10k. At that mmr rating, the skill difference is negligible so it’s just roll of the dice and mmr saving strategies. That is to say, knowing when it’s impossible to win the lobby and adapt your strategy to aim for a top 4 comp. It’s not even that nuanced, just a bunch of small good habits that make the difference between ending 8th and 4th like knowing when to level by checking how your opponent has been doing the past 2 turns, if they hit a triple into a t5/6, using your time efficiently and not forcing comps(pivoting).

Noob question pls. What does the acronym ‘mmr’ stand for?

MatchMaking Rating :slight_smile:

2 Likes

7000 is about where I stopped being able to climb, so obviously everyone above that is super god tier Ai genius bots.

But, seriously and anecdotally, I’d say I noticed big changes in skill/attention (no obvious missed turns, clear builds, good board positioning) after around 5k, so 6000 as entering B category makes sense.

i rarely play and stay at 5000+ asia
and 6000+ for america region.

it’s the mmr display number.
but i feel like it doesn’t really matter since when you reach certain number, you can’t go below it which force people to have higher rating the more they play.

mmr stands for match making rating