VS Syndicate's podcast is out. We have a 3 class meta

I’m more of the opinion that he is wrong because he firmly thinks that you can’t fix a meta with nerfs that kill decks.

You can, it just requires hitting both the things on top and the things that are about to be on top that are equally frustrating.

According to him before this patch, warrior needed buffs.

He does good data analysis on what decks are currently good, and how to better optimize them. I’ve often deeply disagreed with his views on balance changes.

I’ve generally found Kibler to have much better takes on that aspect of the game.

3 Likes

Is this the one that runs pigs?

Can’t tell anyone this, they wouldn’t believe me. Brann is tier 4 so everyone just says it’s trash. But brann isn’t actually that bad if you play him. If you can play brann and astalor, the game is over. Brann isn’t tier 4 because it’s bad.

When everything that beats is nerfed, it will be Tier 1. That doesn’t mean it’s good though, per se. Its a bit like Plague DK right now.

Not per se. But the deck is good. It’s just heavily targeted because of the popularity and it’s why we have the meta we have. There isn’t a slow deck that can deal with it because it’s insanely powerful if it plays brann.

So you have brann choking all other slow decks out except plague which hard counters it. So only aggressive damage decks that are busted like sludge can be played.

We have been forced into a polarizing mini meta because other decks aren’t viable with the main offenders at large.

It’s a real problem and no one wants to admit it. Thank goodness VS is seeing it and these forums and reddit won’t accept it.

I don’t really think that “targeted” is the right word. Brann into Astalor is hella slow in a meta with some serious aggressive pressure, and I don’t think that pressure is “targeting Brann” at all. For a lot of matchups it’s just overkill, e.g. you can reliably seal the game with single Astalor. Brann is bad against literally everything that isn’t a Warrior or Priest — so pretty close to just being good against other Warriors, and perhaps not as much as Odyn.

Meati’s Odyn-reno-30 can and does. I consistently beat brann on curve, I even beat a brann that was dropped turn 4 (after from the depths high roll on brann.)

Check out Meati’s Odyn-Reno-30 deck, its a meta breaker. It consistently beats both Brann on curve, and control warriors massive armor gain, while itself having even more massive armor gain. That means its even easier to beat sludge warlock than control warrior, and I would know, I played a lot of control warrior before this deck came onto my radar. Actually, what is more important to its sludge warlock MU is that it runs LESS endgame minions like ETC or Bomb-boss and therefore you are typically always either drawing control tools/draw or Odynn, and nothing else, so it is SUPER consistent. The extra armor helps a lot too.

I played a lot of control warrior, as it was the only “fun” deck for me, and I thought Brann into Bomb boss was awesome. Holy crap, Odyn is WAAAAAY more awesome and it activates without highlander condition (i.e. competitive in Plague MU.) See my post above talking about MU spreads if interested.

So update on this. I went from D10 → legend with about a 30-3 record. Everything I wrote about MU above is true, except I would say I was wrong about the Plague DK MU, I thought Plague DK was favored, its not. This deck is quite favored in the Plague DK MU, as long as you find Odyn in a reasonable amount of time (~ turn 6,7).

Surprisingly, the only deck that goes 50-50ish (probably 55-45 in favor of this deck) is Rainbow DK, and that is becuase of the freeze weapon which can lock warriors hero from attacking for up to 6 turns. However, if you time your reno correctly, you can get one free hit in, and can win a lot of these MU.

Meati’s list is pretty strong from what I can gather. Both him and Thijs have been performing well with it at top 50 legend and winning the Brann matchups.

1 Like

Didn’t know Thijs is running it. Yea its an absolute monster of a deck, I think its the only T1/TS deck in the meta right now, it just slays nearly everything out there.

I predict the meta will turn into a 2-deck meta, this Odyn variant + rainbow DK (which can go nearly 50-50 with it.)

1 Like

Yup I just went 1-2 against this deck, and I only won cause I dew processed off of scorpion reward and cast it again with Tess along with the 12 armor spell twice to outlive the odyn and win in fatigue.

The deck is sick and the key is the acolyte aftershock or acolyte bladestorm drawing thru your deck so quick

2 Likes

He was playing it yesterday, and I was able to watch for a little while.
Of course he does play various decks for his viewership as well. He did make a YouTube video for some of the games with this deck too.

I forgot how good of a player he is. For sure one of the GOATs and his pleasant attitude is infectious. A little off topic;

I find it amusing how much his subs like to troll him. Like they pay to troll him but they have subbed for like 4 years …makes it fun.

Such a prediction is ALWAYS wrong. Always (at least) three there are, paper rock and scissors. Two deck metas simply don’t exist.

Now what does happen sometimes is that there’s an extremely powerful deck with essentially a single hard counter, with multiple counters to the single hard counter. In which case it’s like just one scissors, just one rock, and like five different kinds of paper. That’s as close to a “two deck meta” as you can get because two of the decks are way more popular than the other five.

What are you talking about. An obvious one that is fairly recent was Yogg druid + Secret rogue being the only T1 decks.

Update yet again, smooth sailing into top legend, similar win rate at legend lol.

1 Like

That’s wrong.

one time we had a 1 class meta because two different rogue decks covered each other’s weaknesses.

What you’re describing is two thirds of paper rock scissors. If rogue deck A beat rogue deck B then I guarantee that you could build a deck that beat rogue A.

I mean there were decks that were playable, but notably worse than the two rogue decks.

But the only top tier decks were poison rogue, because it beat miracle, and miracle rogues because they beat everyone else.

Sometimes there isn’t a third deck as part of a weakness triangle, and it’s just “everything else” losing to one or both of the big decks.

Tier 1 isn’t the entire meta.

I mean, if you look at paper rock scissors, it should be a perfectly balanced game from a theory standpoint. But it isn’t in reality. Research shows that scissors and rock both enjoy about 35% popularity while paper is more like 30%. This means that counting draws as half a win, rock is tier 1 with about 52.5% winrate, paper is tier 2 (technically rock is about 0.1% more popular than scissors so paper is just barely over 50%) and scissors is tier 3 with about 47.5% winrate. But it would be extremely reductive and oversimplifying to call that a “rock meta,” especially when the irrational overplaying of scissors is actually its defining characteristic.

You can’t just point to exactly two decks in Tier 1 and say “that’s a two deck meta.” It’s not one now and if given infinite time to rationally refine it wouldn’t be one then either. There are always at least three decks that define the meta and one of those three defining decks is always below 50% winrate — that is, playing the “scissors” role by being irrationally overplayed. It’s this deck that MAKES at least one of the other two decks Tier 1, which wouldn’t be Tier 1 otherwise.

The Warrior deck is basically Glory’s pre patch Renon’t Warrior, cutting the Brann/Astalor/Boomboss win con and replacing them and a couple of defensive cards with Odyn, Razorfen Rockstars and Verse Riffs. It can deal something like 53 damage out of nowhere if you can go double Razorfen, double Bash, Shield Block double Verse Riff and it’s really consistent.

Several things:

1. Duplicate cards needs to be changed to “If your deck starts with no duplicates then…”
  2. The should revert Warlock’s sludge buff back to 2 mana deal 3 damage.
  3. Brann CANNOT exist in his current form. Either make him cost 8+ or change his battlecry effect. Blizz is handicapping themselves with this card.