Vs Report is out

There’s always something to be discovered. Warlock was extremely “meh” until that one guy out together Healzoo.

1 Like

The decks that consistently beat Control Warrior do so after CW plays Dr. Boom, Mad Genius. This suggests that Dr. Boom isn’t the unbeatable card some people on the forum like to claim he is.

Dr. Boom is a flashy card with a very good effect, but it’s not the core to the deck winning most matchups. The matchups the deck wins are won due to Warrior’s arsenal of high tempo removal most notably Dynomatic and Restless Mummy. Dr. Boom just gives the deck a further push in the removal department.

Reducing Dynomatic’s battlecry to 4 damage (from 5) might be far healthier for the game than any nerf to Dr. Boom would be.

Luna’s Pocket Galaxy was completely unplayable at 7 mana, at 5 mana it feels like an auto-include in any Mage deck looking for a long term gameplan utilizing minions. 6 mana might be a decent sweet spot where the Mage has to consider playing it for future power vs playing removal to not die.

2 Likes

I didn’t say Dr. Boom was unbeatable. I said it’s broken. It’s not broken in Wild, where it belongs along with the other hero cards. It’s not good when a deck destroys aggro and is good in the late game as well.

This meta is shaped around Dr. Boom and Pocket Galaxy. Last meta was shaped around Dr. Boom and Conjurer’s Calling and Pocket Galaxy. I wish the expansion changed things. Maybe things will change without nerfs, but I’m not optimistic.

I agree with most of what the reports says. The class frequency also matches with my experience on the ladder with Mage being more common than the rest.

Not sure how good combo priest really is since I only faced 2 and lost to both. (Was playing quest paladin and got butchered by turn 1 Northshire)

If anything, I think rogue is really under rated in this report. It feels to be in the middle of the pack, at least in my experience.

sigh You’re always, always somehow wrong about me

I personally dislike playing Highlander decks - always have. I just feel uncomfortable having a deck where I do not have duplicates of key (mainly) removal cards. Disliked them in Reno, Wild, and this era as well.

I’m also not a fan of Singleton format in Magic but at least EVERY deck is Singleton in that format so it isn’t quite as annoying to me to play.

No. It means control warrior is able to stall out games for an unreasonable amount of turns in instances where it should lose anyways. By the way, there aren’t many decks that can beat the warrior in the long game. Those decks are niche and pay a terrible price on the rest of the ladder.

6 Likes

Combo Priest is actually… insane. I’ve only beaten it once out of the 6 times I played against it and that was pure luck. You cannot let them stick a lightwarden or priest early or you lose. You cannot let them stick amet or you lose.

They can also win the game pretty much at any moment.

Interesting report and as someone who has been playing aggro warrior religiously but still tinkering with it’s refinement i’m glad I got some validation on battle rage being pretty meh. Fair well card draw. Hello more SMorc dmg. Hopefully it serves me well.

70k games

Those are numbers you could expect to see in the VS report at the end of a set’s life cycle when a new set is about to be released. Uldum just came out a week and a half ago.

It’s really happening. It’s over.

2 Likes

Highlander hunter, hmmm. Been thinking of crafting Siamat and Dino Brann but without Subject 9.

Keep posting this, like you always do and have for the last few years, for another few years and one day it will inevitably be true.

To say ‘its over’ is clearly incorrect, in every definition of those words.

2 Likes

Sincerely…

We will have changes and I sure they will not be little ones.

The number of players is lower than you should expect from a expansion launch and the difference isn’t little.

That probably has to do with the auto chess genre but blizzard will for sure try something.

And the evidence of decline mounts more and more and more. Even VS said in their report they need more people to contribute and support them or they’re not going to be able to run anymore.

Keep in mind, VS now has competition they didnt have when they started in HSReplay. Unlike HSR, you have to opt in for VS to gather your data.

I am not saying the population is stable or anything, all indicators suggest a decline (definitely not on the levels you so often sprout as "games dead, the game itself is far from dead), only that now that HSR exists, and gathers your info without your consent, it really was only a matter of time before they ran into less games to report on (even if their collection method is better).

I tried playing combo priest but it just didn’t work for me, probably played it wrong. But I had more success playing last expansions silence priest list in comparison. All that cleric, pyro, acolyte, circle shenanigans gives me a headache

Terrible meta. Many decks are just switching to pure smorc because warrior and mage are unbeatable lategame.

4 Likes

Saw crazy alchemist and mossy horrors. People are beginning to notice priest. :grin:

Every deck is a gimmicky deck.

Play Murloc Paladin get you win rate matchups.

100% counter deck to Murloc Paladin?

Bomb Warrior. Play Prismatic draw a - BOMB! Yes, bomb is a spell. Then Play your turn 5 BRAWL. You WILL have this card. Then move on to your WARPATH!

Now the Paladin deck is depleted. Drop in your bombs with you Elekk and Goblins. You WILL have these cards within the first 10 off the top of your deck. Dont forget to use your Dynomatic just for salt.

All the decks are gimmicks. All the decks are on autopilot.

Same with last seasons Mecha Mecha Paladin.

Drop your automatic Glowstone technician on turn 5 (always there) and start the whole +2/+2. You WILL have Zilliax in your hand gaining +2/+2 off the Glowstone.

Now just Mecha Mecha Magnetize your Robo egg with Zilliax. Get all your health back by time thats destroyed. Then Mecha Mecha Magnetize your 8/8 into a 14/22 or so.

Yep this can be beat by its counter deck. But thats how all this gimmicky mechanics work.

1 Like

This and twenty characters.

How is it not as bad as I say? The numbers are literally half what they normally are, and we’re talking about the absolute pinnacle of invested players still playing this game.