Vs Report is out

They’ve got quite a bit to say, so rather than copy a section of it here, go check it out.

13 Likes

Interesting and thx for posting.
Personally I don’t think the priest deck is particulary strong and I do expect it to drop off again but who knows. Its a fun deck that is also cheap,the mirrors are horrible though. Very volatile and then at t3 you have won or can resign (slight hyperbole).

My thoughts
70K games feels REALLY low for this report. I will be honest that I don’t pay attention to the #s as much on these really really early reports as I tend to read them more for entertainment this early but that feels really low as the early reports tended to be north of 100K last year.

We end with Priest, the least popular class in the format. That is until you hit legend and find a population of Combo Priests growing at lightning pace, one that we can barely keep up with. With both Quest and Wall/Quest decks fading away, Combo Priest is gaining ground and surpassing other common meta decks one by one. What exactly is going on here?

• Watching HSR’s 3-day trends this is happening at a crazy pace. The deck is obviously strong. Tier 1 strong? I question but it will probably remain a strong deck until whatever nerf patch we have.

Winrate Charts
Tier-1 but too low of a number is Bomb Warrior. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Control and Bomb Warrior to begin switching quickly IF Highlander takes off after this report. I don’t even play Highlander and I don’t like the sound of that, heh.

Quest Priest 38.9%
Looks at personal Winrate Is this going to be like Control Warlock in KoFT for me? Where I have no idea how the deck is tier-4 while I’m doing so well with it.

As time went on, it became clear to us that Big-Spell Mage was a somewhat greedy deck that was vulnerable to being preyed upon by aggression, and was more easily targeted by the general hostility directed at Mage. Highlander Mage is proving to be more flexible and capable of overcoming that hostility. Reno and Zephrys add the unconventional and extremely powerful answers that are required to offset the inconsistent nature of a singleton deck. It’s no accident that this archetype is taking over, and it might be the premier Mage deck going forward.

• Don’t care. I am playing Big Spell Mage when I need to play Mage, lol. I agree with them that Naga Sand Witch feels trap-ish. I ditched the card after 5 games. I plan to mess A LOT with this deck going forward.

Starts grabbing bombs

Yeah, Quest Priest has done WAY better for me than these numbers would indicate. I think they’re correct in Combo Priest being strong, but only very due to nobody paying attention to it over Warrior/Mage.

Also, please please please let the Aggro Warrior trend continue so Warrior can finally have a non-sucky aggressive deck again!!

4 Likes

It’s disappointing that Murloc Paladin is performing well. It’s a stupidly gimmicky deck.

3 Likes

Their breakdown on the underperformance of Quest decks was really interesting, IMO. Particularly in contrast with what you see in the forums. Unsurprisingly, the perception of quest decks as unbeatable or OP seems to literally be an L2P issue (as in, they’re relatively novel archetypes so people need to learn how to beat them).

5 Likes

Which is exactly what quite a few of us have been saying.

It falls in line with the first month of any expansion though - lose to literally anything new, run to the forums and claim that the world is on fire due to the sheer OPness of whatever dared to beat you.

9 Likes

Read that out loud. Please.

You have quite the dirty mind, today.

*skitters away and giggles like a child

4 Likes

I am a bit disappointed they refer to the new Priest deck as “Combo Priest.” It is more Tempo Priest than anything, because the combo is not necessary for victory in many if not most cases, although it is an enticing option when drawn. At the least, it should be called “Combo-Tempo Priest” to differentiate it from Priest’s traditional combo-control decks.

Fixed to be more general. :wink:

2 Likes

:heart:

1 Like

19,000 Dust Mage deck on top
I’m sure Blizzard and the rest of the “forums” are happy about this

While I usually do not mind it, I’m kind of sick of Jaina being on top.
And the price is a bit too steep, as well.

EU ladder is just loads of trash hyper aggro where you lose by turn 5 to endless face damage that seemingly costs 3 mana.

My prediction is this will go down as the worst meta in HS history.

I can attest to the first part.
Especially Wild is a nightmare on EU.

The latter, though…
I think you may have missed a few “special” metas.

1 Like

Highlander Mage is really a deck for completionists and Whales. I don’t expect many players - unless they’ve been very lucky - have all the components to put it together in its optimal form. I’m missing Reno, Siamat, Zephyrs, and Phaoris myself. I very much doubt that I’ll ever bother crafting Highlander cards on purpose.

But I’m surprised that VS said absolutely NOTHING about Secret Mage. That’s a deck that seems pretty good, and VS didn’t say boo about it.

I knew rogue was in a bad place. This report confirms it. Tempo rogue is the only option and it’s only tier 2. It’s the same crap since the odd rogue era only worse in performance.

I’m glad to see priest viability. That looks very promising.

While I actually do feel for Rogues right now because they have so many more cool things than Tempo, Tier 2 isn’t a bad spot it be in at all.

Just wish it was something else for them. Maybe in the coming weeks someone will crack the code for some killer Deathrattle deck.

Well, until today, on NA, about 40 percent of the decks I faced were Mage (Highlander and Big Spell) and Control Warrior. I don’t mind facing aggro. I just don’t like going against broken cards like Pocket Galaxy and Dr. Boom.

Luna’s has to go. The biggest pile of crap card since Keleseth.

4 Likes

Yea. I’d be happy with a tier 2 or even 3 nontempo deck. Keep experimenting I guess.

2 Likes