vS Data Reaper Report #302

Because Blizzard tends to only do about 80% of what VS would do. That last 20% really chafes the VS people.

Correlation rather than causation in most cases. VS usually repeats what most others say.

Besides more than 90% of what VS says you can see on your own daily on hsguru.

And most importantly the Blizzard Devs have way more reliable data because they have ALL the games’ data, hence they can make way better decision for balancing.

And it’s very likely they have developed way better tools than just an excel-sheet-tier analysis VS seem to do (e.g. they may have in-house Simulations of card games).

Hold your tongue peasant cant you see your better is passing on precious nuggets of knowledge to the Serfs.
Im unfamiliar with the title you must use to address such a man but know this its from a cast you can never hope to achive.

Your royal highness/majesty , your eminence something along those line.
Damn i miss the Frog i cant keep this up without backup.

2 Likes

IF I was in charge of a business that had a data department, and some third party website started doing most of the same high quality data at no cost to my company and making it available for free online,
THEN the data department wouldn’t survive the next round of layoffs.

So I don’t believe that they have any data to speak of. You can believe what you want to believe.

Wait, let’s be fair.

Predicting a meta based on cards that have never seen play and gauging their potential and predicting a meta based on cards that have seen play, knowing their potential and impact are 2 entirely different things.

(We have discussed this in the past) it’s not that hard for a game studio of more than 3 people. E.g. a “Simcraft for Hearthstone” would be something very useful for the balancing of this game; they have reported they have something like that for World of Warcraft for many years; it’s way better than the “excel sheet”-mentality of the VS report which is for the most part “this deck thicc win rate” (it doesn’t test cards inside hypothetical decks and hypothetical opponent metas).

Well SimCraft from the community doesn’t take more than 3 people working on it on their off hours to exist; it’s nothing hard for Hearthstone to have in-house simulation if they want to have it; and something like that or something adjacent to that technology is probably already aiding the balancing as we speak.

You’re kinda proving my point. I’m assuming that this Simcraft is a third party endeavor that receives zero money from Blizzard, correct?

If you can do better than VS, please, by all means, convince a venture capitalist of such. I’d love for something truly better to take VS’s ad revenue.

Their loss.

Are you proud of yourself?

I’m sorry I’m not showing any gratitude. It’s because I don’t feel it, because that doesn’t mean anything to me if you don’t realize the flaw in their power ranking tier list.

Why would I value an opinion which claims what you claimed in that quote, when you’ve just failed the test of being able to discern quality of data presented to you?

You’re still not acknowledging that their list, which is calculated who knows how, is of worse quality than mine, which you know the method of calculation for, and it’s even based on THEIR OWN data.

I acknowledged most of their data to be great and useful, namely distributions, frequencies and matchups. I challenge only Power Rankings, and not all of them. “Piece of data” is a more correct name for that.

Why do you keep talking about Sludgelock? I just used it for a reference, nothing else. And I did that in the wrong context, incorrectly thinking that VS was working with 236 games, while in fact they claim to have used 1200 games. That’s higher sample than mine in those 6 days.

Because noone plays it. I know it, and I’m surprised by it, been a bit sad, but now I’m not anymore. It’s good to be unique.

But again, this is about their tier list, nothing more, nothing less.

It’s plain wrong and anyone playing in that elo, except those 50 people who allegedly played rainbow shaman, can confirm it.

But I mean, at this point, presented with so much evidence, it’s fair to assume that even that wouldn’t be enough.

It’s OK.

As he says:

Blizzard has developed their own simulation for world of warcraft (as a tool for balancing patches). It’s just that the community developed their own too; the point was the community started with a couple of people working on it in their off hours; it’s nothing impossible for a game studio that has entire teams of people.

Tools like that or tools adjastent to that technology are very likely already utilized by the Hearthstone devs because it’s something logical they would want and nothing impossible to develop for someone being their main job (considering fans developed similar tools in their off hours for other games).

I think we can prove that they have no internal testing.

The proof I present to you is Iksar playing a ranked game using a known cheat, getting caught, and saying “I was testing something”

If they have internal testing, this right here proves they don’t use it.

1 Like

If the community tool is so good, why would Blizzard keep paying for maintenance of their own tool?

There is no Blizzard internal WoW simulator. Perhaps there used to be.

That’s off topic at two levels, someone messed up and was caught and it is not about balancing but about cheating.

By the way if they want to test cheating they have a better tool: they have their own “off the internet” hearthstone servers.

Btw Carnivore, are you familiar with the Diablo Immortal alpha testing adventures of Raxxanterax?

But if they have these, they don’t use them. Or, if they use them, it’s more evident they don’t.

They released yet another Brawl that allowed cheating and never bothered to check if the cheating they had known before was stopped again.

And this isn’t just any Brawl, this is a brawl that actively makes them quite a bit of money.

All signs have pointed to they don’t test their own stuff and they use live releases as tests. They’ve practically demonstrated this mindset several times over.

In fact, they even admitted it. With Twist season, they created Arfus and openly admitted they did not test it at all.

1 Like

So I found the video. Really everyone should watch this, starting at the timestamp. You can stop at the point where he correctly reads my mind.

Blizzard has alpha tests so that people like this do unpaid balance testing.

The power of the Frog is not be underestimated:)

2 Likes

We can’t read your mind. Say what he said that you agree with.

How do you think they make the ads that show the unreleased cards being played? Some of you have basic misunderstandings about software development.

A test server is not just something they have (and use); it’s something they had when they were first developing the game; they had it before 2014.

Just watch it until he says something is “dumb.”

Wasn’t this thread supposed to be about the VS Report?

It’s a train wreck now.