Twist is now unplayable

Arena is just completely unplayable nowadays due to the number of hackers there. Almost every player there use hacks to get the best cards and best classes for every run. If you queue for arena without using a hack yourself, it’s almost impossible to get more than 3 wins before you get to 3 losses at the current terrible state of that game mode today, and the crazy thing is that it’s been like that for the past 2 or 3 years already and blizzard is completely unable to solve this issue…

1 Like

Those aren’t hacked accounts. They are purchased Arena runs from sellers who highroll an Arena draft.

The average person has next to no chance to compete with them.

It’s literally THE reason botting is a thing in wild, etc.

Everyone should boycott Arena indefinitely and let the Arena deck purchasers face each other.

7 Likes

VPN’s laugh at your IP bans.

More importantly, almost nobody has a direct Internet connection. There’s no such thing as an individual IP ban. There are only IP bans that ban hundreds of people at a time.

I mean, I guess they could ban the entire VPN. But then they’ll just try to get a new IP address.

Uh I’ve had the same IP for 12 years nearly. There’s not anyway I’ve found to change it without giving my provider an effective excuse to do it

But then, if I’m in another country, I can leave the modem off overnight and wake up to a new IP

So you have no idea what a VPN is, do you?

Nah I own one for life but there’s zero reason to use it if you know what you’re doing

So let me get this straight…you’ve never found a way to change your IP and you think you need your provider to do it for you and yet you’ve owned a VPN for life and never had a reason to use it…

I’m not sure you quite understand the conversation here and it seems quite clear you don’t know what a VPN is.

VPN is simply a type of app you can download and turn it on and you connect to a completely different server and hide your existing IP from all internet sites you connect to after that.

You don’t need permission from your provider. You don’t need your provider to do it for you.

A VPN is not my IP address, genius. If I meant VPN I would have said that :woozy_face:

No wonder you need one you are lost holy crap lmao

I never said it was. wtf?

A VPN changes your IP address, genius.

:rofl:

I have a degree in Network Communications. You’re the one who seems lost.

Wrong. It conceals it. The IP is not changed hahahahahahaha

I can see now why you’ve been struggling with technology omg

Oh FFS. It changes it with a spoof IP server. It changes what the requester sees. Good lord man.

I literally said above it hides your existing IP. By saying “changing” you knew exactly what I meant because I had already established what it did to the physical one.

Do you really get off on twisting words to fit your personal narrative to make you feel smart?

Pretty sad.

Okay, let me try to explain this again.

Network security requires that network topology remain opaque from the outside. Therefore, unless you are inside of a local network, it’s important that you can’t see how devices are addressed within that network.

Therefore, routers use subnets. The idea behind a subnet is that, from the internet looking inward, the subnet will have only a single address, which goes to the router. Meanwhile, within the subnet the router will assign addresses that only work within the subnet and which mean absolutely nothing outside of the local network. When the local device sends requests out to the Internet, the router keeps track of which device made the request, and when the requested data comes back, the source of that data has no idea which device in the subnet requested the data, it just sends it to the address of the router, and the router knows which device to send it to once it receives it.

If you’re using cellular data, you’re still connected to a router. It’s just in some cell tower near you. And it still subnets your device.

You can have subnets within subnets, ad infinitum, like those Russian nesting dolls. Your router is its own subnet, and the ISP can’t see the addresses of the devices in that network; they just assign a single address to your router. And all of the routers that they distribute to customers are also part of a subnet, which collects at another router that is “above” all the customer routers. It might then be subnetted yet again, until eventually it reaches the Internet backbone.

The internet backbone is where DNS kicks in. This is a type of server that translates a domain name, like blizzard.com, into a IP address that’s just numbers. DNS works on the level above all of the subnets. (There’s also ways to use DNS as a subnet exclusive privilege but you’re unlikely to see that outside of large private networks with a desire to restrict access, usually corporations, universities or military.)

So like I was saying, Blizzard doesn’t and can’t get your IP address, or at least not in a useful way. Your personal device’s subnet address is probably 127.0.0.x where x is a single digit number, and there are literally millions of devices with that exact same subnet address, they’re just on different subnets, connected to different customer routers.

VPNs are not in any way about masking your IP address. They’re about masking your data. If you don’t encrypt your data, or if you use the encryption that your Internet service provider uses, then they can see what data is being sent back and forth. The snail mail analogy is that it’s not that they have your address on the envelope, it’s that they can simply see inside the envelope. And if they don’t like it, they control every router along the chain, so they can eventually determine which customer router is responsible. But your ISP has this power, and them alone, not Blizzard.

Like I was saying earlier, unless you have the kind of access to actually see into subnets, e.g. you are an ISP or cell phone company, an IP address is an entire network. It would not be difficult for Blizzard to pick an IP address for an entire region of Comcast internet customers and block all of them simultaneously. But there’s no such thing as an individual IP ban at their level; they’d have to give Comcast a call and hand over the task of tracking someone down individually to them.

And finally, if your IP address for one device doesn’t change, that is technically a security mistake. It’s unlikely that a hacker would ever try to map your personal network, but most routers use DHCP, which randomly reassigns a new IP address to devices on the subnet at regular intervals such that the addressing of the network is constantly changing. This wouldn’t slow down a hacker very much, because they could probably remap the network in a minute, but it can cost them a minute in such a situation with absolutely zero cost to you. So unless you’re hosting a server with that device, there’s no good reason to have a static IP.

So you have no idea what a VPN is, do you?

If you did then you’d know my comment had nothing to do them.

FFS indeed that you thought I had the same VPN somehow up and running for 12 years straight hahahaha :clown_face:

Why do you think I’ve been trying to change it? lol this thread is just so weird

I’m talking about my “home address” and this other guy thinks a new P.O. Box would only mean I had moved

No, I was talking about your IP.

We were talking about VPNs and you literally said “I’ve had one for life.”

It’s your fault for confusing yourself during the flow of conversation.

This is definably false. You are right that it ALSO is used to protect your data, that’s the end goal or the main goal. But it does it by masking.

From Microsoft themselves:

What is a VPN service?

A VPN, which stands for virtual private network, establishes a digital connection between your computer and a remote server owned by a VPN provider, creating a point-to-point tunnel that encrypts your personal data, masks your IP address, and lets you sidestep website blocks and firewalls on the internet. This ensures that your online experiences are private, protected, and more secure.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/cloud-computing-dictionary/what-is-vpn#:~:text=A%20VPN%2C%20which%20stands%20for,and%20firewalls%20on%20the%20internet.

The local subnet IP address wouldn’t change in this situation. But the local subnet IP address also doesn’t really matter. It doesn’t mean anything.

As far as the IP address on the Internet backbone, that would change. Without a VPN it would show as coming from the IP address of your Internet service provider. With a VPN the encrypted data would go from your ISP to the VPN server, where it would be decrypted and then go forward from there, from the IP address of the VPN server.

To clarify my previous post, it depends on what we mean by “your IP address.” Your subnet address, the one you see on your windows PC under network settings, that would not change. (This is pretty easy to test oneself.) What Microsoft really means here is “your ISP’s IP address,” which would be masked. And especially regarding international business differences, like what you can or can’t stream on Netflix, masking your ISP’s IP address can have significant ramifications.

And although it’s drastic, there are cases where major internet entities do IP ban entire networks. A particularly infamous underwater basket weaving forum has blocked entire cell phone providers. If you’re that kind of degenerate and wish to post from your phone, you might need a VPN app. (Maybe it’s the cell phone company doing the block, whatever. Essentially the same problem, with the same solution.)