Trial By Felfire Challenges: Illidan (post update 20.0)

Back when Trial By Felfire was new, I had made my way up to Illidan using a Galakrond Preist deck, but didn’t quite have the dust to tech it the way it was recommended elsewhere to beat him. I went to give it another try today, only to discover the dreaded “no wild decks” limitation.

Has anyone had luck beating this challenge since the update? Deck suggestions?

Could be worse…
Try not bothering to do the challenges at all, thinking you had all the time in the world.

When I beat Illidan I used a deck that included lots of cards that get stronger when they take damage since he can’t help but trigger them when he attacks. I used underbelly ooze and he helpfully gave me a full board of oozes to hit him with.

Too bad ooze is out of rotation, but there’s a new patron deck so maybe that could work?

1 Like

I hadn’t played with the Frenzy mechanic, yet. Thinking this might be a solution, will try. Thanks!

1 Like

Hey all, I went back and tried some decks to beat Illidan and I just now got him with my control warlock deck.

Special

Class: Warlock

Format: Standard

Year of the Gryphon

2x (1) Armor Vendor

1x (1) Felosophy

2x (1) Spirit Jailer

2x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze

2x (2) Drain Soul

2x (3) Hysteria

2x (3) Luckysoul Hoarder

2x (3) School Spirits

2x (4) Cascading Disaster

1x (4) Fire Breather

1x (5) Envoy Rustwix

1x (5) Neeru Fireblade

2x (5) Siphon Soul

1x (6) Tickatus

2x (7) Strongman

2x (8) Twisting Nether

1x (9) Alexstrasza the Life-Binder

1x (9) Lord Jaraxxus

1x (10) Y’Shaarj, the Defiler

AAECAeL5AwjO0gOS3gP83gPO4QP24wPz7QOwigSFoAQLrMsDzNIDxt4D5uED9eMD+OMDkuQDrJ8EgqAEg6AE56AEAA==

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

(Neeru isn’t necessary because I never ran out of cards so you can safely substitute that for another minion if you like.)

Basically your win condition is surviving long enough to play Jaraxxus and overwhelm him with 6/6 infernals. Illidan’s deck is very big so it’s very possible for him to get unlucky and not get enough card draw and eventually run out of steam and start just playing his draw every turn. Use the oozes when he equips his better weapons, save your removals to use intelligently, and with a few restarts this deck should be able to beat him eventually. It took me like five tries with this deck.

1 Like