Who’s afraid of Virginia Woolf
The Killing of a Chinese Bookie
Rashoman
Reservoir Dogs
Spirited Away

Bonus: Of Mice and Men

1 Like

play, YA YA DING DONG.

I dig your taste in movies. CGI’s so overrated. It’s the story and screenplay that make a good movie.

1 Like

Simple thing: A.S.M.R.

2 Likes

I see a lot of good mentions. I will add some I don’t see.

I really like good cinematography, and children of men definitely takes the cake with unbelievably long shots without jump cuts.

And bill and ted, one of the reasons I learned to play guitar. Be excellent to each other.

1 Like

In no particular order:

Goodfellas
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Jaws
Alien
The French Connection
Every movie Sergio Leone ever made
Fury Road (love all the mad max movies but this one blew me away)
Raiders of the lost Ark
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke

2 Likes

I’m always amazed when I read peoples’ lists like this and see such a wide spectrum from
“it was so bad I barely finished it” to
“it is on my top 10 also” to
“how on earth did I forget about that one – thanks for the reminder”

In any case, I tend to try to vary my inclusions to such lists by trying to consider more genres than I usually focus on when I’m picking something to watch. So while these might not be the best 10 movies of all time, I probably kicked some off for the sake of diversity. Also, staying power in the sense of being able to watch it several times without getting bored of it matters a lot also and might also boot some masterpieces of art off the list in favor of some “pure entertainment”.

Also, there are vastly too many good movies to pick 10, so most people are probably giving us the first 10 they think of when they type their reply. That’s certainly what I’m doing.

Finally, I suspect people (including me) don’t tend to choose stuff that was made before they were born as much as one might want for a list like this.

That said, in no particular order:

"Unforgiven" - one of the best westerns every made and my personal favorite (honorable mention to “Firefly/Serenity”, which is sort of a western)

"Shawshank" or “The Green Mile” - which is the better prison movie comes down to personal taste

"Major League" or “Caddyshack” or “Happy Gilmore” - Major League is my favorite “sports comedy” (it doesn’t even make the top 150 comedies according to rotten tomatoes). I’ve noticed comedies are especially subjective in terms of what you like. (Rotten Tomatoes would have selected “The Big Lebowski”)

"The Breakfast Club" or “Ferris Bueller” - had to pick a teen comedy and these were the first two that came to mind

"Terminator" - one of the best SF movies . “Wrath of Khan” or “Empire Strikes Back” are also good choices. (I can’t believe rotten tomatoes has the nearly unwatchable “2001” ahead of all 3 of those).

"Goodfellas" or “The Godfather” - pick your poison. Both of these are excellent

"Nightmare on Elm Street" - my favorite horror movie, but which is best is totally subjective. Honorable mentions to “Psycho” and "Aliens"

"Die Hard" - I am sad if you need an explanation of this movie’s awesomeness. Honorable mentions in the scrappy “good guy” beats “random bad guy” genre: “Rocky” and "Home Alone"

"My Cousin Vinny" - one of my favorite comedy movies that doesn’t get mentioned as much as maybe it should. Honorable mentions to: “Coming to America”, “Beverley Hills Cop”, “Ghostbusters”, and "Men in Black"

"The Natural" or “Bull Durham” or “Field of Dreams” - all perfectly reasonable candidates for best baseball movie of all time not named Major League

Others that don’t really make my list, but came to mind as particularly memorable for one reason or another as I was thinking about it:

"Brazil" - best weird social commentary film
"American History X" - Edward Norton is a genius
"The Wizard of Oz" - most watched / referenced movie of all time?
"The Sixth Sense" - best movies with a twist

1 Like

First of all, I gotta give props to @BroadPup for mentioning Castle in the Sky, @SpaceCat for mentioning Reservoir Dogs (my personal favourite Tarantino film) and @TRQDude1211 for mentioning Baby Driver (seriously, if you haven’t seen it just search for the opening on youtube). I should also admit that I thought Infinity War and Endgame were mediocre, but that’s just my opinion.

Now that that’s out of the way, here’s my list off the top of my head;

1. The Godfather
  2. The Godfather Part 2
  3. Reservoir Dogs
  4. Back to the Future
  5. Scarface
  6. Way of The Dragon (not Enter the Dragon, Way of The Dragon, it’s set in Italy and ends with Bruce Lee vs Chuck Norris)
  7. The Dark Knight
  8. The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
  9. Stand By Me
  10. The Muppet Christmas Carol
3 Likes

1- Interestellar
2- Lord of the rings
3- Demolition Man
4- Die hard
5- Avengers
6- Brave heart
7- Matrix
8- Batman: The dark knight
9- Pirates of the caribbean
10- Maze runner (first one)

Ten movies, no particular order

Dr. Strangelove
Galaxy Quest
LOTR
Tombstone
The Sting
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
Forrest Gump
Raider’s of the Lost Ark
Spy Games
Pulp Fiction
Rear Window

Eleven movies, no particular order :crazy_face:

Adding my top two, neither of which I saw listed yet:

1- Casablanca
2- WALL-E

Plus a few of my faves that I saw others had listed:
12 Monkeys (Brad Pitt’s best performance IMO)
Ratatouille
Memento

1 Like

Rango, that one movie about the Cowboy Chameleon was pretty good, otherwise my list is just an assortment of Pixar movies and stuff.

1 Like

Will you be doing a TOP10 personal drama list? anime list? games list?

Django Unchained
Interstellar
40 Year Old Virgin
The Other guys
Tombstone
The Dark Knight
Pulp Fiction
Infinity War
Don’t be a menace in south central, while drinking your juice in the hood.
The Animatrix

I have decided to refresh the page, until someone validates my opinions.

1. Blade Runner
  2. Blade Runner 2049
  3. Alien
  4. Aliens
  5. 2001
  6. Interstellar
  7. Avengers Endgame
  8. Superman remake
  9. Brightburn
  10. Hitchhikers guide

Bonus: the new Dune movie looks so good. Big fan of the books and the old movie and miniseries but the movies were pretty bad lol.

1 Like

WE’ll with so many great movies a top 10 per genre would make more sense than this post which after seeing all the movies I left out I should just delete. So perhaps I will do a top 10 for each someday.

4 Likes

Top 10 movies where someone dies in the first 5 minutes but nobody in the movie has red hair.

Go…

Challenge Accepted. This could only be done with movies without extras as there will be somebody somewhere with red hair. Therefore I will have to work on this in future and will have an answer by 2024. Not even joking. I will have a list by 2024 If still here. That is the questionable part.

1 Like

you make your list then the string grows and you go, oh yea i didnt think of that movie, now which movie do i bump off to put it in?

sometimes life is hard lol

Anyone watched this?
I Am Sam (2001)