This week's Tavern Brawl

It’s just like playing against Secret Mage in wild except you don’t get any of the cards you need normally in wild to compete against Secret Mage.

Enjoy!

4 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team friend lol.

2 Likes

Just play a secret mage deck, it will be the easiest win you’ve ever had lol

2 Likes

Ok I’m curious, what exactly is this weeks brawl, that makes Secret Mage so good?

You can only use basic and common and rare cards.

Which is pretty much the entire list of Secret Mage except for a couple of cards.

2 Likes

Ahhh this type of brawl. Lol now people can see just how “fun” HS with such a card pool.

I worry about that deckbuilder for Pally in wild though. It uses a bunch of cheap cards with Mechs I’m sure you’ve seen it. I bet it becomes the meta deck. People should get the pack asap before it becomes super cancerous lol.

3 Likes

Sadly I lack the cards that makes Secret Mage good (and sure, it’s cheap to craft, but why do that when I can win the Brawl’s pack without crafting anything?), so I instead went for Elemental Mage: very effective as well, even without Jaina.

First game was vs an OTK Priest. As expected, he failed to draw the OTK fast enough, so he settled for an 18/18 minion for a two-turn kill instead. I obviously Polymorphed it, and that 18 damage was the only damage I took.

No epics or legs, eh? In other words, I can pretty much throw in Mech Hunter card-for-card. Could even have Flare if Secret Mages get popular.

Well alright then!

2 Likes

That’s probably a good idea. I didn’t see any mech hunters though. After getting my reward with secret hunter I went straight to secret mage to see what decks could beat me. Never lost a game. Mech hunter might stand a chance.

i played the original version of mech mage, but adding magnetic minions here and there to avoid being copied. Worked wonders until people tech for it later I suppose!

1 Like

Some corners of Hearthstone are always saying they want “Pauper Mode”. Then they get it and say it’s not very good. Can’t win for losing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do think this brawl makes clear that you don’t need to drop money on packs to build a number of very viable decks. I’ve played with or against Mech Hunter, Secret Mage, Token Druid, Silence Priest, Face Hunter, Aggro Paladin and even an aggro overload Shaman that would all be ladder viable.

So we basically already have this mode, but it’s called wild.

Edit: I realize having said that I should probably drop in the obligatory statement that Hearthstone could be a bit more wallet friendly - make the dust system less punishing and remove epic duplicates would be my requests.

To be quite honest, I would not mind if there was a Pauper mode in Hearthstone, for both Wild and Standard.

1 Like

My second Mech Hunter was against a Secret Mage, and I won it.

Lost against Murloc Shaman, but that’s a terrible matchup.

I never read pauper mode comments here. I find the mode good though. Playing decks I am playing anyways without worrying about board clear hahahaha.

Needs a bit balancing though and to be standard, not wild.

No hero cards, no quests, no zilliax, no Shudderwock, less Shenanigans. Great game. Just need to tune down board spam and magnetic. (Hunter) Secrets might be annoying as well.

Mech hunter with 2 flares is almost unstoppable. You even still get venomizer missile launcher. I even put 2 kezan in mine as well just to troll mages.

I have 0 wild cards and I clicked paladin and just used the deckbuilder. Gave me some type of zooish paladin deck and I went 1 and done with efficient trades and use of consecration + truesilver champion to close it out.

You might think you want pauper, but you don’t.

Does that work without the epics?

Eh, as a change of pace it is fine. But yeah, it would get old quick as a full-time mode. Still, I’m curious to see if anything rises up to stem the zoo/token decks.

With no Epics or Legendaries, the payoff for going a more Control based route (which is what counters Zoo/Aggro) is a lot less impressive.

Druid and Priest both have ok payoffs, not spectacular but slightly better than “large minion that costs a lot”. But Warrior, Shaman, Paladin, Warlock and Mage all lack something to do beyond that, while Hunter and Rogue are in an even worse position than those if going for the long game.

Priest has a more aggressive deck that can kill opponents with just a single minion on the board, starting from turn 2 with a good draw, so going for a Control style deck makes little sense. And Token Druid seems a lot better than what they can do with a Control setup.

1 Like