The new way tasks work is amazing!

Unless you abandon, the merc it picks a task for can now be grinded indefinitely.

Get task 1, complete it. Task 2 will be in the slot. Rinse and repeat.

No more stranger hunting! Woo hoo

(Does it suck for my mercs who are already maxed? Yes. But most tasks over 12 you get coins for others so meh. I’m gonna complete it anyway!)

1 Like

I agree completely! Having said that, there still is a bit of stranger hunting on my end (which isn’t too bad).

Farming specific mercenary tasks requires me to find those tasks in the first place :wink: Of course, once I’ve found it, I’m good to go through the end.

Best to you!

-Valas

1 Like

I am also enjoying the task chain, completing 3-4 mercs every 2 days. My only concern is I will probably run out of tasks very soon. I mainly play PVE content, so not sure what 's there to do after all tasks are completed

1 Like

Beat all the Heroics?

1 Like

Only few of them left in black mountain. these aren’t required to unlock equipment, so I am not motivated
I did follow old guardian’s guide and got all of heroic ones needed for merc equipment

Check out the following!

“The team has plans for a way to spend excess coins, an expansive new end-game system to challenge your whole collection, and a series of improvements to the Task system, as well as more events and the continuation of regular updates to Bounties, Zones, Mercenaries.”

“That means that the next bunch (and we do mean bunch ) of new Mercenaries, Bounties, and Tasks will come in a few months.”

Having all your tasks completed is going to be very helpful for the new end-game system that will challenge your entire collection.

-Valas

1 Like

that’s good know. i am saving up all my packs from task completion.

My opinion on the new task system is positive but with some reservations. I really liked the flow of the old system - log in, do 2+ bounties to clear the task board for the day (4-6 tasks depending on Mysterious Stranger luck), log out, repeat the next day, roughly one hour spent each day. The down side was that mercenary progress was very random, mostly wasted on the less-useful mercs, and progress unlocking new bounties could be extremely slow (which is why I wasn’t able to participate in the Chi-ji event, was still early in Blackrock Mountain at that point). But in the old system there was good reason to play every day, and to clear out even the completely unreasonable tasks when they came up.

The new system lets you focus on the most useful mercs and/or the mercs most in need of development (requiring a few Mysterious Strangers, but the current rate is still adequate for that). By now I have unlocked all the bounties so I can’t say for sure, but I would think that new players will be able to make much faster progress on that than under the old system.

My main concern is that even though the new system is better overall, I can also see it causing me to lose interest much faster. If most of my mercs are showing particularly annoying tasks, the main incentive to log in and do something is the daily preserving the timeline task. For Random Useless Merc that would be the time to abandon the annoying task and look for a Mysterious Stranger, but for a good merc I’d want to get it done … eventually, if I feel like getting around to it… (Easy solution: they shouldn’t have ridiculously unreasonable tasks, but Task 9 for so many mercs suggests the developers strongly disagree).

Tangent based on the previous comment: what’s the typical rule of thumb for saving packs vs. opening them? For example, I currently have all blue rarity mercs (I think that’s “rares” even though they’re the most common ones :confused:), and all but two purple-rarity and eight orange-rarity mercs. Am I already in “save the packs” territory, or still well within the range of opening whenever I earn one? I’ve still been opening on acquisition, but more for the coins than any realistic hope of getting a mercenary at this point.

Just got my Kurtrus to his task 17.

Defeat 75 enemies with Outcast attack or w.e. the 2nd move is called

That’s 150 turns because his 2nd ability can only be used every even turn.

Ffs some of these tasks are so mind numbing slow to complete

3 Likes

It’s too fast.

As much as I enjoy the new trim, streamlined tasking arrangements…there’s about to be a real drought of new content after Murky comes on board. It’s going to be at least a couple of months before the new coins spending system is in place. We will all be sitting around with Maxed mercs and nothing to do.

For me the old system kept me playing almost every day as there were new quests waiting in Mercenaries and so I ended up doing the dailys and weeklys on the main game too.

After the patch the amount of quests available however overwhelmed me and I’m not logging in anymore as it feels like work now, not enjoying the grind even though I know it would eventually end.

I’d say keep opening them until you have all legendaries. I was saving mine when all that were needed were legendaries until rares or epics were needed but I don’t think there was any real point to it. and I would say never build a merc with coins as you will likely need coins even after all tasks are complete so the 500 legendary coins can make a difference etc.

I’m not patient enough but maybe those that just complete all tasks with this new system will max at all mercs without needing to grind any coins. I’ve been getting random coins for some of the mercs I ended up grinding out after task completion because I felt they were that important.

That’s not a good idea.

The rarity distribution of mercenaries is
21 Rare (27 if including the tutorial/intro freebies)
26 Epic (27 if including the tutorial freebie: Tyrande)
22 Legendary (23 if including the tutorial freebie: Grommash)

And the pack rarities for the mercenaries themselves are the same as Constructed packs (with the normal coin drops taking the spot of commons), so to get 8 Legendaries you should expect roughly 160 packs. It’s far better long term to see which of them you really want and target the bounties that drop coins for those. If the packs are scary in your inventory, go ahead and open a few, just don’t expect to complete your collection overnight.

Once you’re down to 2-3 Legendary mercenaries missing, it becomes more reasonable to open packs until you get them. But at that point you should also look at timing compared to the next big content drop for the mode (patch 23.4 according to the latest dev info). It’d be a bad idea to open a bunch of packs right before a big Mercenaries content patch.

2 Likes

For some reason, I completed Murky’s first task and didn’t get the next one. Did this happen to anybody else?

1 Like

Same. Murky lost his task chain after task 1.

2 Likes

With the Leeroy event, we got 4 Legendaries (2 were essentially free), 1 Epic, and 2 Rares.

On average, you’ll get a Legendary every 20 packs.

If I didn’t really need any of my currently missing Legendaries, I’d want to go into the next event with twenty to forty packs. If I there is a legendary I’m missing that would be very helpful right now (perhaps Balinda for a better PvE fire comp), I might go down to my last ten packs.

Spending coins to get the Legendary, means fewer coins on hand for leveling its abilities and equipment. On the other hand, it is much easier to farm coins once you have the minion.

I don’t believe I’ll ever open a pack unless there is at least one legendary I might get from it.

I’d say little feels worse than going into an xpac missing a legendary, opening packs hoping for one of the new ones and getting the old one.

I lost my list but using older mercs as an example you get equipment from tasks 2 and 7 and only 50 coins from the other 5 so spending 500 coins is the equivalent of using up roughly half the coins you’ll get through your own tasks. coins you might get from other tasks will undoubtedly serve you well but the more mercs added the lower the chances random coins will be for the ones that need them. despite only ever having constructed like 1 merc I’m completing task chains and finding myself still needing coins numerous times over. not many necessarily and If I were patient completing other mercs’ tasks chains might have filled in the voids but grinding for coins in this game is as bad as the worst tasks IMO. especially if you’re doing it some way other than 10 coins at a time from heroic barrens 1 or targeting a bounty 'cause you need more than the one merc’s coins.