The New Reward System SUCKS

I’ll brave the mess of the website that is reddit to dig up what Iksar said:

Assuming you play the same amount and have the same quest completion rate, you shouldn’t earn less gold or non-gold in the new system. In nearly all circumstances you should be earning slightly more gold and more non-gold (packs, etc).

Our plan is to remove rewards from quests, though the experience you earn per quest on average will net you as much or more rewards as quests give you now.

Something that has come up a lot is the idea that you will no longer be able to obtain the packs you want on day 1, and instead will get a ‘drip feed’ of packs over the expansion. While you will receive rewards as the expansion goes on, the gold you earn per expansion should remain relatively flat from what you earn now. This should make your ability to buy packs on day 1 similar to what you get now, but with more non-gold rewards added on top.

Our intent with the system is for it to be upside for all players. We’ve done many checks on different player segments to try and make sure that is the case no matter how you play. Despite all this, we’re making XP per level and XP bonuses as tuning knobs in case our predictions were incorrect. We can push legendary quests or give out additional rewards during events as well.

[Source: Countless hours spent staring at an excel sheet trying to get this right.]

Great, we also don't want you to earn packs instead of gold. As a result, you will still earn lots of gold you can choose to do whatever you want with.

He seemed pretty adamant that this would be better for players with the same time investment.

They also did a video saying you’d get the same or better rewards under this system in terms of gold and that they would not be equating old cards and packs to the equivalent to some amount of gold.

5 Likes

A couple points:

1. You should be able to get closer to 13000xp if you reroll your dailies for maximum return.
  2. There are 16-17 weeks in a typical expansion, since there are 3 expansions per year. Scholomance has been unusually short, but it sounds like we’re returning to a more normal schedule after this.

So, overall, that yields 208,000xp - 221000xp per expansion. Which brings you to somewhere between level 53 and level 56. Without counting in any experience from your playtime, achievements, etc.

6 Likes

Let’s be real clear: I play fast decks to win 5-7 per hour. The current system sucks by comparison, because 150g is more than 12 hours of play in the new one past lvl50.

4 Likes

Seems an oxymoronic (not an insult, google it) statement from somebody who already spends money on the game.

Players blow cash on a game because they’re less likely to waste time grinding for free rewards (time = money).

Therefore free stuff would be seen as a nice bonus but not the drive.

…but I always advocate people vote with their wallet so enjoy not spending and using the ‘worse’ free system in your eyes? That’ll…show them? :thinking:

You have brought me to tears! I hate arena and always played them out to the finish before the month ended. Never knew this. Thank you

3 Likes

I’ve never really played the game that much and since April I’ve been playing less and less. Pretty much just been logging on every 3 days and clearing out quests. The new system is definitely not going to be friendly to me. With the way I’ve been playing lately and absolutely no incentive to play more, even with the extra month we’ll have to progress further along the Reward Track, I doubt I’ll manage to get to level 30. So the new system might end up being the thing that pushes me out. No hate, it’s been fun and my wallet will thank me too.

6 Likes

I would be very skeptical with this new thing everyone is very hyped up because how easy is to get free things on the first 10 levels…

Not everything is at it seems… give it enough time.

8 Likes

That sucks, its like blizzard saying “play our added on modes, we want you to” when its like for me its “i only care about deckbuilding and being expressive, yet would like to win at least sometimes” and that’s constructed with new unyoutubed-to-the-max cards.

tying rewards to new added extra modes if its forced and not switchable is so ‘push’ right?

2 Likes

So this.

They’re developing new modes to keep Hearthstone relevant (otherwise why bother right?)

…but at the same time they don’t want people only playing the new modes so they force us to play other modes for quest completion.

I don’t like ranked, made a dumb face hunter deck and just dunked on people (bronze rank, never play haha) to get my 7 wins for the weekly quest and went straight back to BG.

Very calculated. Forums should be interesting next few days haha! :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Since 3 days after the launch of Scholomance till yesterday after finishing the last quest for gold, I racked up a little over 7000 gold (I had a couple of friends challenging me for 80g). Is there a chance I can do that with the new system while playing “casually”, i.e. not playing more than an hour a day?

I know the main appeal is “pvp” but I mean if your going to introduce a pve mode then something other then 6xp for a win needs to be done. Getting cards exclusive to the adventure? They will rotate out like any other card so…

1 Like

The new reward system is amazing

I can understand that point of view. Not many will enjoy the grind they have put here. The rewards can do a better job.

For me depending on the grind I will love to grind it for the fun of it. The grind in this game seems to be the audience who like to grind a lot while making it easier to get the points for the casuals. The quest shows the mile stone of how much effort it will take. Getting quest every 31 or 30 something minutes made it easier to grind than waiting a full day I like that change.

I’m still a bit torn. I got about 70xp for a full Battlegrounds match at level 13 (2000xp to level up).

That’s almost 30 matches for a level up (without quests) although now I think about it the old system was 30 wins for 100 gold daily.

Right now the battle pass is amazing, because people are in the early levels, have lots of quests , and last of all, a ton of archivement that awards a lots of xp, ie I just finished a 8 wins duel run, that got me from lvl 11 to 14. However once that well dry up, this system is going to suck tbh.

I used to be a pretty casual player, that mostly played BG. Still managed to hoard around 7k-8k between each expansion without to much trouble. That way I could buy around 1-1,5 expansion a year and play whatever deck I fancied. However that is definitely over with this system and doubt I’ll bother to up my spending habits, so unless considerably change is made, it’s probably gg for me and HS. And no you can’t have my stuff:)

2 Likes

Just leaving my comment here, to keep the topic at top because blizzard can loosen the screws with this expierence gain.
I almost instantly gain 10 levels after 3 duel match wins and i was like great atleast we can play some more.

Hearthstone is a easy game to play and rng is a big deciding factor of who will win, just look at the ‘‘top streamers’’ complex decisions, no it is not complex.
That they want to monetize every little bloody corner is ridiculous.
And duels ranking mode ? that is a joke right, dont be a fool and think it is competitive game mode, either you have your answers or you dont.

i have won over more then 20000 hearthstone matches and that number has dissapeared now but some new achievements are like cast 10000 spells with mage, i assume they never tracked it since mine is on 0 but that is the least of a problem, if they expect me to stay for longer then increase the reward gain for less fuzz.

and no i never have spend any dime and i will never spend any dime on hearthstone because i spended enough in my life on world of warcraft so i have contributed my part to blizzards ceo mansions and other game development.

2 Likes

Yep.

The next two days, people will just have their widdle 800-1000xp daily and the realization will set in. :rofl:

6 Likes

Sad thing you can’t reroll the Ranked match weekly quest. If it was just play and not win then it would have been fine though.

Actually hasn’t noticed that, anyone know why you can’t reroll that one? Is it a one time deal or?

There is only 1 high value Weekly quest. So no re-roll button for it. So every week you have to win 7 Ranked games.