The Dungeon Run format is stale at this point

I know it’s an unpopular opinion, but please just hear me out.

Dungeon Runs heavily rely on RNG in multiple ways. The power of the passive treasures varies significantly. Your passive treasures can make or break your entire run. So getting a bad passive treasure means that you will likely have to restart and try again.
Even if you get a good passive treasure, you also have to get cards that synergize with it, which is more RNG. Bob’s tavern is extremely unreliable as well.
While this does lead to a different run each time, it also leads to many runs that are killed simply because RNG wasn’t on your side.
The worst part is that it takes such a long time to play a dungeon run, so losing once means that you have to do this all over again hoping that next time you’ll get better cards.
I understand that this format is supposed to be like this, but the almost complete reliance on RNG paired with the slow gameplay of hearthstone makes it tedious to constantly grind for until you can get a chance at winning.

While Galakrond’s Awakening is a fairly bad adventure for the most part, replacing it with another recycled Dungeon Run would be just as bad.
Future Dungeon Run formats should actually change up the base mechanics of the formula rather than add gimmicks like being able to choose your bad starting deck or having to successfully get to the 8th boss multiple times in the same chapter in order to artificially increase playtime. There needs to be a middle ground between the consistency of the Original Format and the replability of the Dungeon Run Format.

4 Likes

I wanna see more boomsday type of dungeons or similar too it. You have bosses and there is only 1 way to kill them and that’s what you need to figure out type of style. That basically remove alot of RNG and becomes more skill.

Doing dungeons as they are now is just making us sleepy, annoyed etc.

Bring in like Timed dungeon runs kill a boss under 3min get a card or pack as reward.

1 Like

It would not. Galakrond Awakening is the worst adventure they made. If it was a Dungeon Run, I would actually play it for fun and not like a chore like I did.

In fact, i’m still playing Tombs of Terror, because it’s more fun.

They should improve the format, and there is MULTIPLE ways to improve it.

4 Likes

But they haven’t actually made big steps to improve the format. They’ve just made a bunch of gimmicks like dual classes, twists, and the horrible plague lords.

The Dungeon Runs are so much better than any of the other old style adventures. Its not even a contest. One is a game, the other is just a novelty to occupy you for a couple of hours to make you feel better about spending money on packs.

For that reason I’d rather see them continue to try to find fun variations in the Roguelike-Deckbuilding space.

3 Likes

I never stated the Galakrond’s Awakening was better than the Dungeon Run format. That’s not the claim I’m trying to make here. I’m claiming that all Dungeon Run adventures still have the same issues despite being able to work on the formula for years. I’m claiming that most ‘improvements’ to the formula don’t fix any underlying problems with the formula. Each Dungeon Run adventure feels the same as the last with minor changes such as the bosses you’ll face or the cards you’ll get. I’d be fine with a 6th Dungeon Run adventure if it actually had major additions that actually change your strategy or fixed the monotonous grind for good RNG on heroic.

But that’s the problem, they not actually improving it, not that they need to abandon the format.

Between a recicled dungeon run and galakrond awakening, I would pick a recicled drungeon run any way.

This does not mean that what they need to do is: IMPROVE THE FORMAT.

Because no one know why Blizzard don’t try to improve the obvious flaws of the format.

Example: what is the number 1 thing that people complain…? That if you lose a single game you lose all your deck, funelling you to a single strategy instead of a creative deck that sometimes can have some bad draws.

The tavern braw before Galakrond Awakening kind of fixed it: give the player continues, and he visit Bob to improve the deck. One of the biggest problem fixed!

And sorry, but the format is basically this: ‘Each Dungeon Run adventure feels the same as the last with minor changes such as the bosses you’ll face or the cards you’ll get.’

The format is all based on having fun having random treasure and cards and against random bosses. There is no way to make it have any meaningfull strategy.

It is only unpopular on here because this is where a small hardcore minority will shout you down for saying anything ‘negative’ about HS.

Totally agree with you about the dungeon run formats, the earlier ones are horrendous with their insanely OP boss ‘mechanic’.

All they are fundamentally is a cut and paste with a reskin, that is the depth of the effort put in.

GA seems to be better, most of them can be beaten on the first try, but then you hit the sky ships and Reno vs Galakrond.

Reno/Galakrond is just plain garbage, the cards that the AI lays and the board filling minions in just one turn you can’t hope to clear as you don’t have any board clearing spells.

You don’t even get alternative targets for the duplicate spells, just focussed spells that destroy one minion, destroy it again and leave the board filled.

Lazy, uninspiring and the sort of thing that would lead to uninstalling in other games.

Like with the plagues content, it seems that initially they put a bit of thought and effort in and then ran out of time and interest and resorted to the lazy historical design.

I’ve played GA once through on Good/Evil, finished Evil and can’t be bothered with Good now and will never play it again. I haven’t and never will play plagues or any of the other solo content again, they are one shot at best.

Hey, we ran out of time for the final boss, shall we stay and finish it, we’ll lose time at the pub? We have put all that time into the previous bosses?

Nah, just cut and paste a Kobolds boss, no one will notice and I’m not wasting good drinking time.

2 Likes

Dungeon Runs are the only fun I have with this game. Stopped playing regular mode with any form of consistency a while ago. Uninstalled shortly after I realized the new single player mode wasn’t a dungeon run.

3 Likes

I’m really enjoying the dungeon runs, they are wild and it’s a nice break.

And you can end up with some really crazy finishes, such as hitting the plague lord for 178 fatigue damage to finish them off.

2 Likes

same, I will only come back with more dungeon runs. the last adventure expansion can be finished within an hour or so. there’s no way I’m buying another one

1 Like

Those delving heroics burned up a fair amount of time, but I really can’t be bothered to deal with the bosses in the final dragon expansion.