The correct answer to RNG in Hearthstone

Rotation.

Asking to kill Rogue, Priest, and Mage out of the meta for a year isn’t very nice at all. And you will get plenty of pushback from those of us who like to play them.

But admittedly 2019 brought unprecedented levels of deck defining cards with RNG effects.

So put your pitchforks down, and use the mammalian rather than the primitive lizard part of the brain. Let the devs know you want future sets to include less meta defining RNG effects.

6 Likes

Personally, I think the Outland cards show a considerable tuning-down of RNG effects (and not just from DH cards). Hopefully that trend will continue in the following sets.

5 Likes

RNG
Disparities in card draw
0 cost or extremely discounted cards
Disparities in silences

The disparities in card draw and silences are in part because of the AoP and SB HoF, and I wouldn’t say bring them back, but clearly some classes have cards that were designed with those in mind and that disparity can be mended either by buffing those hurt the most by those changes OR nerfing those options from other classes that have way more.

Exactly.

People should be able to play formats they want and not what blizzard tells that we should regarding on what cards are allowed to be played.

But considering that this isn’t a phisical game i think that we can reach a midterm were blizzard gives more formats to play.

We not need extremely well balanced formats, we need an variety that reaches all types of players.
Hearthstone is an 5 years game. We are at an transition time from an recent game to an old game in it’s way to turn into an classic or die because of the age.

I not saying that hearthstone is dying. It is really far from it.
Just that what happens NOW is what determines the outcome of the next 5 to 10 years.

MTG had an rework during it’s history when it started to get old. It’s not an coincidence that it still alive despite of how much years have passed.

3 Likes

I want the cards to be randomly shuffled. I want them to be randomly given.

Rogue

Turn 1 play Pharaoh Cat, Just the 3 cost reborn.

Coin on 2 play Evil Miscreant get 2 lackeys. Be turn 2 or 3. Its Always evil miscreant.

Cant kill Evil Miscreant so down goes more than likely Bamboozle! Or they mutate the Evil Miscreant into something phenomenal.

Play your 3 cost reborn. Most often rush reborn cause total board control.

They SAVE Shadowjeweler Hanar, Black Jackstunner and Titanic Lackey for turns 6 to 8.

This way they get to play several secrets, get more secrets, move your opposing minion the matters and make a taunt so now they SMORC ALL DAY!

If its not a Titanic that gets drop its Shield of Galakrond on turn 5 - 7 for the block.

I am staring at a Galakrond Rogue right now on turn 8 with 5 secrets lighting up the board. Shadowjeweler Hanar a taunt just like EVERY Galakrond Rogue deck.

Oh, just to show off like all Rogues do, he showed he could drop the Automatic Galakrond on turn 9, because you know. You dont have to use draw cards anymore to go get powerful cards out of your deck.

THEY ARE JUST THERE! RELIABLY! NO SKILL REQUIRED! Just flop em and plop em.

1 Like

And here is the hearthstone is rigged post that any thread regarding RNG has to have.

5 Likes

Anybody besides you It seems playing this game knows well enough that key cards do not always start in your hand or get drawn for on curve plays so stop vandalizing and trolling every thread with your fallacious claims.

3 Likes

But the outcry against DH will have the exact opposite effect.

Cake. Eat it. Have it. Nope.

DH outcry was about power level and not design.

Let’s remember though that the Baku/Genn outcry was about design.

So we have RNG haters and lovers. We also have consistency lovers and haters. The key is having a happy medium because it’s impossible to please everyone in what decks they don’t want to play against. Since let’s face it, there’s plenty of low RNG decks such that a person isn’t forced to play an RNG heavy deck.

1 Like

But the power outcry is so closely intwined with RNG.

RNG cards, by nature, require less finesse balancing. Agree?

Since this is - excuse - Acti-Blizz we talking about, it does occur to me that they could just take it like this:

"They dislike DH? = They dislike consistency eh. Fine, give them more random. Always works. "

Baku and Genn’s design “flaw” was all about too much consistency in a game where it was taboo 'till then.

I think EBSnike has a point. Aggro Demon Hunter is, for better or worse, the most consistent deck in the game in terms of what you’re going to see them play. They have powerful class cards and lots of draw, so what you have there is a deck full of unique cards and pretty light on the RNG. It’s a deck that plays out the same cards consistently almost every single game. The only way to make a deck that’s more “the same” every game would be to go back to Genn & Baku, probably.

Personally, I do find these kinds of decks extremely boring to play against. I get the cards the beat them or I don’t, and there’s not a lot of thinking involved two months into the meta when I’m playing these games. Even though I’m Priest, playing a collection of random cards, with the fairly light amount of games I play a day, it’s very simple to see the right line of play every time. Decks like that chase me off the ladder far more than losing, say, a 30 minute Priest mirror where I lost because my opponent random’ed into a bunch of Skeletal Dragons or something.

And it’s not the losing that bugs me. It’s calling my opponent’s plays before they’re made, and knowing that my hand can’t deal with them because I lost the Mulligan and I only win if they draw horribly.

People don’t watch Hearthstone because it’s Chess. People watch Hearthstone because it’s Calvinball. It’s a casual game full of pretty lights and wild swings because that’s what the casual audience likes. You can tell just from the number of accounts compared to the number of people who visit forums that most people don’t take the game very seriously.

4 Likes

People have complained about meta defining RNG effects for a while, yet Blizzard still prints Puzzle Box and Solarian Prime. I wouldn’t hold my breath on these style of cards stopping anytime.

Except Solarian Prime is way different from Yogg’s Box. There’s less random spells cast, and they’re not only all Mage spells, but they’ll target enemies if they can. That’s a pretty big difference to RNG from Yogg and Reno.

2 Likes

Well, Solarian Prime can cast Yogg Box, so it’s hard to say it’s less rng than Yogg Box.

1 Like

hope not

they are really fun

1 Like

It really Is. It’s so incredibly unlikely, that I think Rogue has a better chance of discovering Tekhan then Solarian casting Yogg.

1 Like

I just lost to it this week!

Fun fact, Yogg Box spells from Solarian can target friendly minions.

1 Like

Besides my 17 damage lethal against a full board with solarian prime, my other best result was another time solarian prime casted TWO puzzle boxes.

I do still like the design of solarian more than puzzle box though funny enough. It would be better if it was in a class that can’t pyro you in the face though.

The amount of card generation is the biggest RNG offender, IMO. Last year simply introduced too much of it. I dont mind Solarian and Yoggs Box type cards, I find them fun most of the time. To me, its discovering a card, that adds a random card to your hand, that discovers a card, that discovers a card, that gives lethal that is a bit ridiculous.

Like everything, card generation is fine in moderation. Last year just added far too much of it. The “created by” meta was probably a mistake… Hopefully one they learn from!

2 Likes

Just create a game mode that has no random cards allowed. Someone suggested it and I think it’s easier to create than battlegrounds or arena or brawl.