Temporary splish splash ban

It’ll be interesting to see if this is something the deck can adapt to or not.

It’ll definitely be losing a good chuck of win rate over the perfect curve loss.

1 Like

I am aware of this and understand the ban will have significant impact.

The issue is: People have suddenly lost access to a card that shouldn’t have been removed in the first place. That’s why a ban is such a serious decision. If it were just a hotfix nerf, it would have been much preferable because you still have access to the card.

When Pyrotechnician synergized too well with Thaddius, they chose to ban Pyrotechnician. After some time, history repeated itself when Thaddius enabled another problematic combo, prompting them to finally take action. They’re just delaying the inevitable and causing more harm than good because if the Whelp gets banned now and Doomkin gets text-nerfed later, it will be a double nerf. The issue could have been resolved by addressing the correct target from the outset.

It’s good but not correct.

It definitely can’t.
The whole Dragon package just got nuked. It lost its foundation.

This is just a way to see what the real problem is.

They will put whelp back, I’m certain.

If the druid deck still slays without all this perfect ramp, then we know the problem is doomkin. If it doesn’t, then the issue is ramp and the appropriate nerf will be to whelp.

2 Likes

Idk why people don’t just tech in Mana Wraith? And Nerubian Battlecry Destroyer?

They could have upped the mana cost to stop the consistency. However, that wouldn’t have been enough. They’d have to up Doomkin too, which is what they probably just should do anyhow…

1 Like

You want two specific tech cards for 1 deck? That’d just weaken decks overall, leaving Druid to do as it wants still, thus changing nothing. Super specific techs only work in really strong decks to begin with.

Problem with doomkin is that the card has a time limit on the card. Once the opponent hits 10, doomkin has no effect.

If you made it cost 8, it only has one turn with a full effect (assuming you could afford to play it on 8 anyway).

There isnt a ton of room to nerf doomkin and have the card still make sense.

1 Like

Battlecry cost 2 more is not super specific, battlecry is like half the game lol

But yeah, if you poo poo on any solution before thinking about it or trying it then of course it’s gonna sound bad

They will nerf It next patch and return It to standard after.

It is probably going to 3 mana.

Just chill.

1 Like

Give them an inch and they’ll take a mile.
You can be chill and sit and take it like a good boy. I’ll call them out on their ridiculousness.

But you have to have it early, way too early, to counter tons of shenanigans Druid can do. Druid is just too consistent. So, I need to weaken my deck’s consistency in hopes that what, 1 out of 6 games against Druid I open the counter? Cause again, they get this early and are ramping early. You’re setting yourself back in so many ways. And you want to add another tech in for this one deck?

There actually is.

Destroying the opponent’s crystal without needing ramp on your part. That’s what truly creates a discrepancy with the card and makes it stand out as problematic.

1 Like

That would require editing card text, which for some reason they don’t like to do. I guess it’s admitting it was poorly designed?

Of course it was poorly designed. A card like this is meant to either be played oppressively or not played at all.

There’s no middle ground with this card; it’s inherently polarizing.

So they actually take Care of a really broken deck that needs hotfix before the schedule patch and it is somehow bad?

The bad thing is their decision to print this card to start with.
Wild growth is already powerful enough to wild levels.

2 Likes

I really like what they did.

They didn’t knee jerk nerf and destroy a deck, they temp banned a card to slow it down and then watch what happens before they make a more permanent fix. Seems like an ideal approach, idk.

3 Likes

There are issues with that but druid was really THAT broken.

1 Like

Hey, yeah, but I meant that they don’t like editing card text because it is an admission of making a card poorly designed. As long as they don’t edit the text and only change numbers, they can pretend they did a good job.

It is true. This is stronger than initial Wild Growth, since it has a body and synergies with other Dragon cards.

How do you even get that what I have said. I’ve clearly stated this is a sensible nerf, not ban.

If you think Whelp is a problem, I have news for you. It’s limited by tribe activation and its board pressure is weak. There have been ramp cards ten times stronger than Splish-Splash. You’re simply biased against ramp, because Splish-Splash epitomizes what ramp should look like: ramping with drawbacks that restrict its applicability to only specific decks.