[TB] Adventure bosses do not work with "dungeon run"

This should have been obvious to anyone who has played the recent tavern brawl, but I guess it should be mentioned since it doesn’t seem that it was obvious to the developers at Blizzard during its testing process.

Blackrock/Naxxramas style adventure bosses simply just do not work with the dungeon run type of PVE content.
They were designed to be defeated in a specific way, which is absolutely fine when you have the luxury of fine-tuning your deck for every such encounter, but this kind of design is ill-suited for the random nature of roguelike dungeon runs.

The most glaring examples of this issue are bosses Garr and Vaelastrasz which can hard-counter entire deck types.
To defeat Garr, you pretty much have to out-tempo him with high-value, low-cost minions in the early game.
While Vaelastrasz favors a hand-dumping approach, but can also counter strategies that revolve around card generation and strategies that revolve around key cards (such as treasures).

The issue with this is that, while beatable, it’s a clumsy design that severely limits the viable options of play, which is highly antithetical to the structure of the dungeon run and ultimately affects the tavern brawl’s replayability.

And since Blizzard intended for the brawl to be replayable, as evident by them launching a community challenge, it would probably be a good idea for them to design such content with actual replayability in mind.

1 Like

Garr is really not hard. Vaelastraz can be, especially with bombs, but literally all you have to do to beat Garr is stagger when his minions die, which you do not need a specific draft to do

1 Like

It indeed has some problems, but all things considered I still prefer these bosses over the other Dungeon Run formats any day. With the exception of Garr who’s still acceptable, the battles are quite relaxing (if not playing for time).

Vaelastrasz is certainly annoying with all the cards he burns, but he also burns tons of cards of himself and he doesn’t play anything worth mentioning until he’s at whopping 5 mana, so it’s fair enough IMO.

Just play priest and copy the theft spell as often as you can. Like I just dre it and that sucks because im in a game Atm and I have 3 shaddo viz

plus sie I shaodw vision my DDISINTIGrATIOT so lul that soence and killllll is so goooodd

The heroes and starting decks they give you are all so ridiculously overpowered for the content that this isn’t an issue.