Standard or wild

I only say this. When you go wild its hard to get back to standard… for me Wild is so much fun.

And i play a lot in the r5 to legend area and its rly fun and diverse

4 Likes

I almost never dust cards, but Wild is for me still a side-mode.

I recently started playing Wild more, because how boring Standard has been past expansions.

Not sure if Wild ever going to be my main game-mode… probably not, it’s just too chaotic and random. You will forever see Big Priest, Jade Druids and other cheat-decks… Those are literally the most despised decks in Hearthstone’s history. Why should I play a mode where that’s the meta? That’s why Standard stays my main game-mode until I get bored of HS or Blizzard introduces rotating Wild sets.

1 Like

What I used to do, was do quest in Wild. I would Rank up in standard, and have my meta decks there. But, not all quests would be doable with those decks. So to complete those quests, I made few Wild decks for few reasons.

1. If you are going for high Standard Ranks, then you do not need to worry of losing your Win streaks or Ranks just to complete the quest. And
  2. Wild Ranked wins also count for Golden Heroes.

So I would Rank up in standard, and try to get my highest Rank there, and in Wild, I would do my quests, and get wins for other Classes towards Golden heroes in the process.

It was a fun process for me. And by doing so, I realized that Wild is actually more diverse then Standard. Yes, there are Barns Priests, and Kingsbane Rogues out there, but they are not as dominant as you imagine. So now, I mainly play Wild now, and am not planing to return to Standard any time soon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Jade Druid? Isn’t it not as powerful now? I never see it on the ladder

I agree with the sentiment that it has more variety, but I don’t understand the reasoning for being P2W. Anyone who’s tried to play competitive MtG certainly wouldn’t say that.

Wild has top-tier decks that are 4-5K dust. Many legendaries can be used in a wide variety of decks (Loatheb, Baku, Genn, Finley), which makes them a much better investment than legendaries that can only be used in 1 specific deck.

Aggro Shaman, Odd Paladin, Bloodbloom Zoo, and Pirate Warrior are all cheap. Mech Hunter is 3600 dust. I can’t speak for all of them, but Bloodbloom Zoo is very fun to play.

If you get a couple more legendaries (that, again, are used in a variety of different decks), Odd Rogue and Even Warlock often run between 6K and 7K dust.

There is a lot of variety, and you get to tap in to a large number of different play styles for investing in a few legendaries (that you get to keep for as long as you want to play Hearthstone). I think keeping your cards is a good decision.

3 Likes

idiot 20charcatersblahblah

Can’t agree on the higher P2W. The decks cost the same amount of dust roughly but in Wild they’ll never ‘rotate out’ so your investment of dust is more lasting in general. There might be a higher upfront cost to Wild just because of some of the much older cards but the long-term Wild is cheaper and I don’t think you can really debate it being anything other than that tbh.

2 Likes

Close, liked for close.

More like:
Standard = absolutely zero-room to be nonomet. Basic/Classic that’s it.
This is not-debatable, there are not enough cards to create non-meta cores of that actually can operate with any consistency.

This is standard’s problem, too-few cards to not-be-just-like-everyone else. Super eww, ik, it really sucks. U like being the-exact same deck-core as everyone else…w coups flexies swapped round? That’s not a whole new deck…it’s flexy-swap.

Wild = enough room to be creative, but because old-cores don’t rotate, they remain cemented. So, new expansions introducing a new-core or supporting a 1/2 3/4 core or so that’s "almost there’ to get it functional, are the only way fresh comes into Wild.

Old cores w new support card(s)? Idk…would a Wild Big Priest or Odd Pally or so getting some just-barely more powerful card into it’s VIP 30 , really make the deck feel different to face? No, because the card wouldn’t be core.

So, HS basically boils down to.
Play standard if you don’t mind being exactly the same as everyone else.
Play Wild if you want to at least try to win with nonmeta cards…against usually the same, sometimes different deck-cores than Standard has…just supercharged with supporting cards.

Example Big Priest.
Wild’s is way stronger…same feeling facing it in Stand or Wild.

Recall in Wild the mode is warped around a 2-card combo…because one reason people play aggro, not the only reason, and absolutely one-reason, is because Shadowstepping Lights is A common enough and B deletes almost all non aggro decks and any-synergy you can imagine. So, ppl play aggro, and then Shadowstep Light’s w/r isn’t great because of that counter RPS. Howevs, on the forums ppl quote that w/r as "bad deck, no-warp happened’ which is redic.

So the lessor of the 2 bads is Wild for sure.
The problem is, the pros cons of rotation for Wild haven’t been talked about enough. There are pro’s to rotating wild w/o creating a new format. There are pro’s to balancing wild w/o a new format too.

One thing is for certain…HS’s devs should talk about “is 4 months too long to keep interest in this game between expansions?”. For me it’s an obvi abso-yes. 3 months would be what the target should be for ‘ok, new content, you all have to deckbuild now, instead of play what you know and expect’. 4 months is too-long period end right?

Who has fun playing HS month 3, and especially the dreaded month-4 like r/n? It’s so predictable, and so obvious your opponent is playing meta weather they built it or looked it up.

HS’s biggest problem is “play meta/expected/transparent or don’t win”.
It’s super gross. Flex cards don’t mean it’s a new-core.

I see it once in a while.

Every Druid I face is pretty much a Jade Druid.

According to HSReplay it’s literally the strongest deck of Druid, with a whopping 63+% winrate. So yea, it’s darn powerful.

1 Like

I’d caution on using HSR’s winrates on decks because of how HSR does it. It has to have the EXACT 30 out of 30 cards and be piloted to, for Wild, I think 200 games by 4 different people.

So while yes, the top Jade decks in HSR show-up in the low 60% WRs that isn’t high compared to if you look at all Wild decks where you’re looking at, righ tnow, high 60% WRs (top is Even Shaman deck list at 68.3%).

Vs’ archetype breakdown, which should be including more, shows jade Druid at a respectable tier 3 and due to the lower volume of games over a greater timeframe that is, yet again, only a minor guideline of a deck’s power.

I guess what I am saying is that both HSR and Vs’ data needs to eb taken with a bit of salt for different reasons. Jade Druid is a competent deck but it isn’t crazy powerful and is certainly not played that much in Wild right now.

3 Likes

If your going to be playing this game enough to stay somewhat competitively up to date with your collection don’t disenchant solid cards like lich king, frost lich jaina, spirt singer umbra, etc. Odds are if you play that much to have a somewhat strong collection. You can build solid wild mode decks to fall back on in case the standard meta becomes unsavory or you just lack a good druid deck or whatever for your daily etc.

If you just disenchant everything rotating you will also hurt your ability to play crafted tavern brawl decks. I’m not saying don’t disenchant anything rotating like feel free to get rid of things like runespear, temporus, vortex plant thing, primal fin murloc, glitter moth or other odd ball cards that really will never have a solid intended slot in a deck. But do not just disenchant everything thinking lol I why would ever play wild and face those broken decks again. Well, you’d be surprised the wild meta is actually pretty health meta of aggro, midrange, control, combo all able to push down the dominance of past overly dominate decks.

1 Like

That actually so, but so much true. Although truth to be said kingsbane at its current form is fine. Mill rogue is disgusting.

Still in general wild has a more balanced meta with many different deck archetypes than standard.

2 Likes

Wild is fun and stress free very diverse meta. Played wild from rank 20 to rank 5 and i didnt see a lot of big resurrect priest or kingsbane rogue. Good fun if you are bored of seeing the same decks over and over in standard

3 Likes

Here is the reality of Wild. I have been playing Wile exclusively for two full years and I can say for certain this is how it is.

Wild is, in the long run, an investment of your cards. What I mean is that your cards will always have value to your collection. You do not have to worry about rotation, you do not have to worry about losing tech, all you really have to worry is, what will the next expansion bring in terms of new cards for my deck and the existing meta. There is a very big financial advantage to this as a player and I will get to that shortly.

Let me address some questions and fallacies that people have on wild:

• Is wild a dumpster mode where the game developers truly do not care about?

Answer is no, that is completely wrong. We have seen time and time again where cards have been nerfed strictly because wild players saw it as a major issue. In fact, we have seen the only card rebuffed in the entire game sent to wild because the original nerf killed it, and that was molten giant. Cards like Aviana, Patches, Kingsbane, all have had their decks nerfed because the developers wanted to continue to care of wild.

• Is wild the same three decks over and over?

Yes and no. You will see a presence of a lot of strong decks, but you will also see the creativity of four years worth of cards and synergy that people have strived to make work. There is a ton of variety in game play, you’ll laugh at the people in standard who are sick of playing against classes that are otherwise weak and/or underrepresented in the wild format. For example, Hunter all last four months was not hardly seen ever on wild ladder while everyone and their mothers complained about it in standard.

• Is wild expensive?

Wild is ultimately an investment. The strategy I use is to make a strong deck I predict will hold its own for at least 6 months or more depending on the price of crafting. You craft it, go on ladder, and earn chests and gold. If you’re able to go 6 months with it, you’ll most likely pay off your legendary that you crafted with your chest earnings. Another way to see this as an investment is that your cards never expire. You craft Nzoth, and this card can be a staple for decks for years. No need to worry about crafting a legendary you always wanted to try only to be deterred that it rotates in 3 weeks. Craft it now, play with it for as long as you like.

• Is wild balanced?

This kinda goes back to dumpster mode and blah blah, but this can be talked about on its own. For the most part, Wild is similar to Standard in that there are several decks that will stand out in power. The biggest difference with this and standard is that you will have access to a lot more tools to counter against decks that you may find problematic. This makes a lot of diversity in the game with more classes being able to create a presence on the meta.

• How should I go about creating a wild deck?

First thing is to collect what cards you have and see what decks are powerful in wild. For starters, aggro is always strong and is fairly cheap to make. For example, even though Even Shaman got nerfed, it is is still a very strong deck and can put you to rank 5 easily. Mech Hunter uses maybe 1-2 legendaries, both of them currently standard, and is able to get people to 5. Aluneth tempo mage uses a bunch of common and rares to burn face, and only relies on one legendary to keep it going (again standard). Aggro Kingsbane pirate rogue uses two legendaries and is one of the strongest decks in the wild format. I can go on, but the whole point is that you can start basic, play your way up, and eventually craft more decks as you earn gold and ladder chests. It is not as daunting as it seems, and wild is doable with smart crafts to the newer player. I would recommend getting Genn and Baku if you haven’t already. Even Shaman can be crafted quite easily and you can compete on the ladder with ease.

5 Likes

Well said ThinIce, well said =)

1 Like

I finally dipped an got to 15 in Wild with DR Rogue.

I didn’t encounter a single Kingsbane, I did a few Big Priests. But there is a ton of variety at lower ranks, I would venture to say a Standard Tier 1 deck could easily get you to 15 :man_farmer:t3:

2 Likes

Well play both!

In Americas, I enjoy to play my Quest Warlock myself made, I defeat sometimes Resurrection Priests using it, of course, sometimes I lost to it too. Already, in Standard, trying esquisite Odd Paladins, but, I played most matches in Casual Standard this month, anyway, solid rank 18 in both modes.

In Europe, I have a delight using Glinda-Mech Warlock in Wild Mode, too bad, I didn’t have achieved rank 15 before, so, actually in a win streak but, rank 21 and literally few matches played this month. In Standard Mode, I’m proud about my Damaged Warrior have climbed to rank 15 today, great news to next month I’ll start from rank 20!

In Asia, I have another wild delight using Jade Shudderwock Shaman and I’m surprised and proud here again, because I have climbed with it until rank 12, I’m going to try rank 10, yet this season and like in Americas, I defeat and I am defeated by Resurrection Priests and Mill Rogues, joys and frustrations I find in my wild journey. Already, in Standard Mode, I tried few matches using Cube-Ecto Warlock, Even Paladin and Spell Hunter decks going until rank 19, however, few attempts.

And what I want to say about it?

Well, I never should enjoy properly Glinda Crowskin and Blood-Queen Lana’thel legendary cards I took from packs, if I kept my mind closed to only Standard Mode. Shudderwock I should have enjoyed but, not until today because, Saronite Chain Gang’s nerf. I have to admit, perhaps, not the best in efficiency to get rank 5 or legend, however, I feel me happy about the ways I can to choose now. It’s harder, I get upset or mad by a “stale meta” feeling.

I started playing Hearthstone in Feb. 2018. I can’t get into Wild because of so many expansions I don’t know about, and will never buy packs from. I feel like I’m disadvantaged. When I get bored with standard, it’s usually ladder that I specifically get bored with. I have 2 other outlets when that happens.

Arena is great when I’m bored with ladder, I love drafting the cards. Climbing ladder sometimes, I can go a significant amount of time without building a new deck, I just play the same decks that are fun and competitive for me. In Arena, you have to build a deck, and deckbuilding is always fun. In Arena specifically, deckbuilding keeps me grounded in the fundamentals: Tempo, Value, Life, board control tools, card draw, mana curve, etc.

The other outlet is casual mode. If I have an idea for a deck I just make it, try it in casual.

My boredom with ladder usually doesn’t last long, never longer than a week. I bounce between these three modes and before you know it, a new expansion is revealed. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Wild is more fun now just because there’s at least variety there. In standard, you’ll play the same 5 decks over and over again.

I will be happy when Baku is gone (plus I’ll have my 1600 dust) from Standard just because that card is really starting to irritate the living hell out of me.

1 Like

I initially felt like I could never get into wild when it first came out cause of the lack of wild cards, but as newer expansions became more relevant, I was able to ease into wild after playing another full rotation in standard. In one-two years time, someone completely new to Hearthstone now could easily amass a collection of cards that could be viable in wild.

2 Likes