Should I dust the cards I don't use or is that a mistake

So I have been playing none stop when free time allows, Bought a bunch of decks with gold, Then bought about $350 worth of cards. My goal was to build a good to great recommended set for each hero.

After doing all that and using the dust to create a lot of cards I find myself to a point where I really need to create a bunch of the legendary cards for 1600 dust. But I am currently out. So here is my question I have a ton of cards that I am not using in hero decks at all. They do not show up in any recommended play lists. Should I dust them or does that risk in the future those cards being useful again?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Dusting non-extra cards is the biggest and most frequent mistake of new players. You can dust golden cards, you can dust those which are shown on filter “extra”, but not more.

3 Likes

Glad I asked then for sure.

You are overvaluing Legendary cards.

Many great decks use 2 or 3. Aggro Evolve Shaman uses 2 and Tempo Rogue 4 (one is the free card from the Halloween event).

As a new player you are better off playing decks with a focus on fundamentals like value trading and spending all of your mana every turn before moving on to weird combos requiring many Legendary cards. Cards that you will acquire naturally over time without dunking more money.

2 Likes

A common rookie mistake is looking at the big splashy card with the special border and entrance theme that seemed like it beat them. In the majority of games most of the work was done by the Basic, Common and Rare cards played before that point and the Legendary card just helped secure the win.

Legendaries are most frequently used for a special effect that either increases consistency or provides backup in certain scenarios. Most decks can work without the Legendaries optimized decklist include, while the Common and Rare cards tend to be indispensible.

As far as card acquisition goes, you’ll likely get the Classic Commons naturally over time as well as most of the Classic Rares (the weekly Tavern Brawl pack helps a lot). Expansion Commons tend to also be something you acquire without much effort, your distribution of expansion Rares will depend on how many packs of each individual expansion you get.

Overall, Epics (both Classic and expansion) and expansion Rares (once you’re done buy packs for the expansion) tend to be a wiser long term investment of dust than Legendaries, Commons or Classic Rares.

2 Likes

If you have time to read…

Disenchanting a card returns a very low (e.g. 1/4) dust return. IF you are sure that a card will never/see little play, then it make sense that the card can be dusted to get more value rather than sitting on the shelf.

Secondary concern is that that investment of dust for crafting. If dust is used to craft cards that can be replace with cheaper options, than it is a balance of how players are comfortable with the trade-off.

My no.1 rule is , If in doubt, don’t do it. (read up more/ask questions till you are sure)

Some cards get nerfed after like 3 years of release. That means if you had held on to that card, you would have gotten the Full amount of dust needed to create that card, even if you only got that card from a card pack.

This is why I no longer dust any cards at all, unless I am sure that card will never be nerfed, and neither will it be sent to the Hall of Fame.

1 Like

If you are lacking resources, then it may be worth it to disenchant some trashy epics and rares. Otherwise, preferably not.

Legendaries you pretty much keep unless you are sure you are not opening packs from the set the legendary is from. Plus in all the recent sets, at least 60% of the legendaries range from strong to fringe playable.