Should hearthstone have charged mana?

Meaning mana you don’t spend becomes charged for the next round.
Making some cards required charged mana, might introduce new strategies.

Would this idea work in Hearthstone?

Why ?
Dont you think it will push even more agro ?

1 Like

My thinking is currently mana reduction is so common, people are able to empty their deck too quickly with little punishment.

When card draw is played with a cost lower than 2 it becomes problematic, because you are no longer getting punished.

Increasing cost surly can’t be the only option every time. I Personally feel if a card can draws more than 1 card when played, it should also require a single charged mana.

Interesting mechanic for sure. Obviously you can’t used charged mana on everyday cards

I certainly like how LoR does this, but I think it would require a major re-tooling of the Hearthstone card sets since this would likely enable even more busted combos at an even quicker pace.

well no because all blizzard has to do is change the image of the unused mana crystal for the next turn, with out additional mana being carried over.

I’m not talking about the interface, I mean game balance.

Sorta like the opposite of overload? Like you can carry over a mana from last turn to the next one?

Could be a cool mechanic to add to spells and minions.

E.g. 3/3 battlecry charge up to two mana. So if you play it on 5, and it would use all your mana, but next turn you’d have 8 mana available (two extra) and the ability to trigger card effects that used “charged mana”?

That would be pretty cool and depending on how the charged mana gets generated and consumed, could add some really neat strategy aspects to the game. Could replace ramp for druid or give it to mage as their unique keyword.

They’d probably have to not call it “charged” cause that would be confusing with the “charge” keyword, but other than that I think it’s a cool idea.

I said this many years ago.

When I 1st started playing…my superior video game instincts made me ask the question…

If I don’t use the mana round 1, why can’t I have it round 2?

And keep accumulating it?

Accumulating is bad you may say? Well, people skip turns to accumulate cards in hand to set up big c c c combos…

Why can’t I accumulate mana?

Cause they were pretty explicitly subverting the mana screw/flood aspects of MTG when they were starting out and so they probably thought the mana crystal system was innovative as it is.

Never played MTG so I had nothing to go on when I pondered this

i think that would be a cool addition to the game.

looks like something shaman could use

On specific cards yes, but not as a general feature. It’s actually one of the only decision making concepts in the game is whether or not to play a card suboptimally. Without that you might as well just merge battlegrounds and hearthstone together because it would play out a lot more like an auto-battler and people wouldn’t likely save up mana to play combos all at once, it’s far more likely that it’d just end up rewarding you for spending 2 mana on turn 3. Like skip a 3 drop to get out an early 5 drop which once people figured out which mana slots weren’t very valuable, it’s not an interesting idea at all.

Control would completely dominate without question since they regularly float a lot of mana.

This is why I said the charged crystal mana wouldn’t be carried over, it would just turn the unused mana to a charged state, the build up of mana wouldn’t change.

Draw cards that Could draw more than 2 or deal damage doing more than 6 would require a charged crystal, or their affects would be capped.

This would bring back some kind of strategy to the game, instead of a 2 card combo finisher that requires hardly any card play order or just cheap mana card dumping.