Setesh dealing too much damage

I’ve seen reports of this before, now I’ve seen it happen to me as well. And I’ve got an hsreplay link to allow further analysis.
https://hsreplay.net/replay/u3uGmUHSkB4ZQHPzXnET45

Setesh continues to deal damage for some minions even when they are not on the board. I think (but not 100% sure) that this is for cursed minions that were shuffled back in the deck with Psychic Scream. Or it could be the result of transforming a cursed minion.
Either way, it feels rather bad to get 4 or even 8 damage each turn that is impossible to counter.

1 Like

Thanks for the replay!

I noticed the number of cards in your deck kept increasing whenever a minion is killed. Did you happen to run with an Anomaly - Eternal Army?

There was a known issue awhile back that the anomaly would retain enchants when the minion is sent back to the deck. This includes both beneficial and harmful enchantments.

It doesn’t appear in the replay viewer, but the XML shows that the Eternal Army anomaly was active in that game.

However there was a spike in reports of this issue following 16.0. Some of them have specifically stated that they had no anomaly:

It’s possible the recurring damage trigger now remains active when the attached minion leaves play, whether or not the anomaly is active.

Edit: Just fought Setesh without the anomaly and did not encounter the issue. If there is some cause of this besides the anomaly as others report, it apparently requires some additional interaction. That, or an issue introduced in 16.0 has since been hotfixed, leaving the original issue still active.

Edit 2: Just noticed, on the last two turns of my game, Setesh took 2 damage at the end of his turn.
https://hsreplay.net/replay/8tNoK8PVCb7Uc9v7L3wLVE

Looking through the power log, the source seems to be an enchantment created outside of play when the (cursed) King of Beasts he stole from me died. From what I can tell, sometimes when a minion dies, a trigger on the current turn player (or its owner, not sure) copies it (with all enchantments) to a zone outside of play. This affects all games (even outside the adventure) and can cause the issue in this thread, but it doesn’t happen every time and I’m not sure what the pattern is.

Sorry, forgot to mention that. Yes, I was playing with Anomaly on, and I think that was the anomaly indeed.

This happened yesterday to me. I created the post immediately after the game ended.
Your text suggests that the issue is already fixed but doesn’t indicate when. But “awhile back” sounds like more than one day to me. :wink:
That being said, I am 95% sure that I did draw minions with previously changed attack and/or health value during that run, so you’re probably right that this is the root cause.

@Jetz: I noticed the same spike here. Thanks for your detailed analysis. I hope it helps Blizzard pin down and fix the root cause.

Can also be seen in the replay - the Dread Raven that died with Divine Shield on turn 3 apparently still had it when replayed on turn 6.

On that subject -

It’s surprising to hear that part was unintended. I was under the impression that keeping enchantments was deliberately added as a cool bonus. In any case, the anomaly shouldn’t be the core issue of this interaction. Even if the anomaly was changed, the issue could still happen if Setesh cursed an Immortal Prelate, or any future card with a similar effect. This isn’t the first time an issue like this has been observed, where an enchantment’s trigger will fire when the attached card is outside the intended zone. When Prelate was released, another dev said that wasn’t supposed to happen, but it seems like it’s only being fixed on a per-card basis. Until there’s a general rule to prevent that behavior, similar issues will probably keep showing up.

I suspect these reports are also related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/ecpbq4/tekahn_bomb_bug/

Haven’t investigated that boss, but since these reports also started around 16.0, I suspect it’s the same thing I experienced above. That Weird Death Trigger copies the dying minions to the set-aside zone along with the enchantment from Tekahn’s hero power. The enchantment doesn’t check that the attached card is in play, so it detonates every turn.

1 Like

I am experiencing the same issue. And I am pretty sure this hasn’t always been the case. I haven’t been able to find a pattern yet. This expansion is highly re-playable and I play it a lot. But this bug is kind of the worst in that part of the game where the extra damage really really hurts, especially on heroic.

Still not fixed… . I can’t describe how mad I am with a product that is semi-paid. And also not like it is the only bug.