[ROGUE PLAYERS] How Important Is Preparation to You?

For those Hearthstone YouTubers that have already seen the new balance patch that recently came out, many of them are claiming that Rogue is officially dead, with their main point being solely due to Preparation being changed to “The next spell you cast this turn costs (2) less.”. Is Preparation really that important to Rogue? Is it the card that you simply can’t make a deck work without it? I would like to know what the seasoned Rogue players feel about this nerf’s impact on the class, as well as the other nerfs given to it. For those that haven’t seen the nerfs:

• E.V.I.L. Miscreant: is now a 1/4 (was 1/5)
  • Raiding Party: now costs 4 Mana (up from 3)
  • Preparation: The next spell you casts costs (2) less (down from 3)
  • Archivist Elysiana: Costs 9 Mana (up from 8)
1 Like

In my personal opinion, I don’t think that the nerfing of Preparation and its subsequent removal from most decks will completely gut the class. Rogue still has plenty of cheap spells to use as combo-activators and the like and the change mostly just delays power plays by a turn: still damaging, but not unmanageable.

I also believe that nerfing it was a necessary evil in order to prevent the limitation of Rogue’s design space. Many expensive spells, such as Necrium Vial, Cannon Barrage, etc. have been somewhat overcosted due to Preparation’s existence.

Ultimately, it hurts, but Rogue… finds a way.

1 Like

Well i play wild and i can officially say that the only competitive rogue deck there (Aggro kingsbane rogue) is officially dead. Both prep and raiding party were important for the deck but mostly Prep.
I gues mill rogue is all that remains now…

5 Likes

Do you feel that these nerfs will cause people to explore Rogue further in Wild? Surely there is potential to be had.

While I think Preparation is an important card for Rogue as a class since it is, or was, that powerful but personally I think the card is even more important from class fantasy perspective.

If I had to name some of the most iconic Rogue-like spells that are basically part of Rogue’s identity, making the class what it is, Preparation would be one of the most, if not the most, important one. Another one being Shadowstep.

Nerf to Preparation is not just a nerf to a card. It’s a nerf to the entire class and its identity. Just like Wild Growth and Nourish nerfs crippled Druid as a class.

4 Likes

would be fine uf they touched other cards but they dint

As a long time Rogue player (Who’s not a big fan of aggro or tempo), yeah, it will hurt the class.

But in a way, it’s also understandable since Preparation is a problematic card as with any “Mana-cheating” cards. (looking at you… Priest)

But… It will again put rogue in a box as a pure aggro/tempo as it makes slower decks that used Prep + Vanish to survive in a even awkwarder position.

Trying to see the positive of things, hopefully It will open for the possibilities for new versatile spells for Rogue in the future and again… I hope that will give a rise to more deck choices than Tempo.¤

As for Miscreant and Raiding Party, justified - Miscreant was very, very powerful and 3 cards for mostly 3-mana is also a bit over the top.

5 Likes

What other cards do you feel needed to be touched?

basicly evry rogue spell be like 1cheaper?

The goal was to make Rogue spells more expensive, while keeping many other common uses the same. They succeeded in their goals.

1 Like

Personally, I’d think only the more expensive ones would need to be one mana cheaper. Necrium Vial, Sprint, and Cannon Barrage. Fan of Knives is fine at 3 mana, and Walk the Plank, Assassinate, and Unidentified Contract are all balanced for their cost.

1 Like

Problem is that all rogues spells till now (and we re talking about 5 years of spells) have been adjusted around preparation.
Traditional strong rogue cards like tinkers sharpsword oil, fan of knives etc completely lose their value in any deck cause of the preparation nerf.

So when a nerf guts all of your spells value i dont really see how do you find potential or more exploration. Even deathrattle rogue a deck that hardly saw play used necrium vial that in return needed preparation to work.
Unless a miracle happens in the next expansions i dont see how rogue can see play in wild…

Edit: Btw this reminds me of the whole druid story when Dean said ‘‘Now druids will explore a world without wild growth and nourish’’ Well guess what, the exploration failed and they returned home :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Odd Rogue in Wild is really strong so there’s at least one very viable and competitive Rogue deck to play.

I like what this guy said:

Make the big spells one Mana cheaper to compensate, along with possibly some wild spells, and I think Rogue would still have a chance in terms of variance.

3 Likes

vanish,vial,sprint,barrage,spellstone,contract,espionage(no task with prep and it anymore which is combo they showed of in reveal)thistle tea,wanted,oil(only was playable ever due prep really its hard to combo and slow without),sabotage,violet haze,bladedfurry,raiding party(prep nerf and it is overkill).
are all that should be made cheaper by 1mana.

its not just big 5+cost ones that need prep.

Yes. Preparation is THAT important to rogue.

I think you are asking a little bit the wrong question though. Because I do think 2 Mana Prep is still very good and will definitely see play. Maybe not immediately but mid to long term definitely.

1 Like

Mana cheating’s fine, as long as it’s not rogue doing it.

Look at all those beautiful mages abusing ALL the giants, Conjurer’s Calling and Astrologist. Fun and fair.

3 Likes

Mage has just now gotten access to those things, Rogue has had ways to cheat Mana since the beginning of Hearthstone.

2 Likes

More importantly from a developer’s point of view, Mage (in Standard) will eventually lose Conjurer’s Call… short of HOF’ing the card, Prep is going to stay in Standard forever.

Prep nerf just completely killed being able to play any of the old decks from Rogue with the same feel. Way too many spells get affected by the prep nerf and should have mana adjusted.

We are in this current mess with the mana cheating Corsairs because of Waggle Pick. If Waggle Pick didn’t exist, the consistency of Raiding Party would not be as high, you don’t have 0 mana corsairs. So Waggle Pick has to be nerfed to 3/2 to keep it in line.

Instead you also nerf Raiding Party, which kills the possibility of slower pirate decks having a chance (i.e. ones with Ticket Scalper, Cursed Castaway, Hooktusk).

Miscreant nerf is fine and somewhat expected.

1 Like