Renathal Discussion

Jealousy is really not in the equation, like I said I am going overseas in the end of the month so I imagine I won’t even be playing hearthstone for the next 2 years, but I don’t wish others to not enjoy it.

Yes, but having Renathal, without having a good 40 card deck is absolutely worthless to a f2p player who is missing several epics and legendaries.

2 Likes

I see, that’s a good point. May I ask you a few questions?

How long have you been playing?

How do you manage your dust?

The most common advice in this regard, for free players, is to avoid mass disenchant and instead wait for cards being nerfed (or rotating) for full dust refunds. This will undoubtedly take you quite some time as a free player to enhance your collection, and I totally empathize. We all want to play, and we all want to have fun. I understand this can be difficult when you lack cards, and are meanwhile up against some of the best decks in Standard.

Edit: I’d like to apologize for implying you (and other free players) are jealous. I should not have said that.

1 Like

To answer your point, I’ve played for 5 years and made it to legend several times, but I have had moments where I’ve felt that without creating the most powerful deck that my winrate has been severely lowered, like when seed warlock existed (also you basically know a deck like that will be nerfed so as f2p you won’t craft a deck like that, but just endure it), I’ve seen several moments where this has been an issue, so I want to say I’ve felt on equal footing for about 50-60% of my playtime, also the first year was definitely not fair (that’s about as much of a f2p model I’m willing to personally accept). I have made logical crafts all particularly decks that have been t1/2 and require less than 3000 dust to craft. I really don’t think it’s a resource management issue and if it is then every player who can’t reach legend must absolutely suck at resource management.

As I mention I see more of an issue going forward with a 40 card deck, how can you use your resources wisely to not end up with a subpar experience when that means top tier decks will cost 5000+ more dust? Perhaps the best f2p approach to this is to ignore 40 card decks, but that means it’s essentially a pay wall.

I have every standard card. Still, have never reached legend. The closest I’ve come was D1, but alas, fell back to D5 quickly. And I should add, I play this game fare more than I probably should. :wink:

Well you can absolutely hit legend with missing a few cards, I’ve done it with unfinished decks. My point is more that given a players skill level, they are going to reach some point where if they had those few extra cards or an extra deck swap in a season after a balance patch, it’ll boost their winrate and make their climb to legend easier or even make them obtain a higher rank in legend, I know for instance some elitest players here would claim but oh you have only reached dumpster legend and that would be true, I’ve never once hit high legend.

1 Like

Being honest, and this doesn’t shame me, but I have never reached legend. My highest rank was D1, but I quickly fell off and gave up. Maybe this time around I’ll make the dedication to actually reach legend. I feel like the biggest scrub going, sadly. :frowning:

Edit: I’d like to congratulate you for being able to climb so high with an umompimal deck. You should be proud of yourself!

Your post is way, way too long.

VS just published a podcast.

Their preliminary findings:

1. Renathal is overall making people play worse decks than they would if he wasn’t around.
  2. It’s most effective for improving decks that don’t care too much about the specific cards in the deck, such as Prestor Druid and Questline Priest.
  3. Even those are nowhere near great, Renathal was correctly ignored for the best Pro lineups this week.

So it’s not quite Baku.

2 Likes

My post is too long? I apologize. At least I used paragraphs, so, it’s easy to read. :frowning: I had a lot to say to complete the point of the topic.

Well I haven’t really played standard mode with Renathal so it might be true there, however I imagine that wild is still very experimental and when people have refined their decks that it’ll just become the new normal autoinclude.

I personally thought Renathal open the waygate mage was okay because with a questline you start with your win condition in hand so you’re not really messing up it’s consistency. The games are going much longer and it’s letting the juggernaut type decks really thrive and I haven’t played through enough to see the best decks, since every game I load into people are trying something completely different.

I guess the other aspect is that the amount of draw we have in wild still makes very easy work to make for consistent games, we have lots of tutor cards that can specifically draw whatever it is you need, I’ve even had some games end in fatigue which is a big change from games ending on turn 6.

as an Only Rogue player (F2P) imma stops using Renthal after a few matches, due to unconsistent LONG matches, it looks good on papper but in real use for this class which (burgle) bases on discovers/randomnes i dont see any reall use of this 40 deck/hp CARD, it only prolongs the matches and lowers the chance to pick the right card in right moment, especially for Rogues who have already BAD DRAWS, just only 1 mana dredge+draw single card or the 3 mana draw 2 minions (kinda meh) and adding 10 more cards to deck wont help here if we cant draw for example a Contraband Stash spell or Tess or other core card to this archetype cuz it gets stuck between the 30-40 card pool and we possibly can never draw it and lose or draw, but after 25 mins LONG MACH…

so no, thx for the concept, its only works with the Booring Priests, frustrating Druids with mana cheats whos draws whole deck in 12 mins or other stacking Warriors…

Played a couple games, renthal seems to have driven a high amount of zoo and snowball board minion decks to counter them. Also seen a bunch of strange class renthal greed decks that don’t work.

For the love of god put in restrictions for this card. Standard literally is plagued by slow boring decks abusing the extra hp and removal/healing stacking.

Healing in this game are SOO CHEAP, literally every heal spell/abbility is like an infestment of 1-2 mana for a 5 HEALS up, its almost always like 1 mana = 250% healing which means 1 invested mana = 2,5 Heals up on average with many spells…

Regarding F2P “elitism”…

First off, I literally don’t understand how anyone can F2P successfully without mastering Arena mode. By “literally don’t understand” I mean I’ve mastered Arena mode (more or less) and I don’t know anything else as far as F2P pack and gold generation go. I don’t really know this, but seems to me you’d have to have error-free Dust spending to make Ranked Standard work without Arena functioning as an “infinite” pack generator. Arena still takes lots of time, and I’ve definitely felt the burn of crafting a Legendary because I thought it’d be sweet and it wasn’t. That seems crazy hard to me, and kinda anti-fun — crafting off-meta Legendaries and playing with them is fun.

I don’t think there’s any particular pride to be had in being F2P or paid in and of itself. But I do think it’s a challenge to maintain the continuous Legend-each-month thing F2P and that particular combo DOES deserve some elitism. I mean, I’m not as humble as I could be about how good I am at Arena, and that’s because I think some degree of recognition is deserved for that, and similar feats for other F2P multi-Legends.

Now on the other hand, you have people who use F2P status not as a qualifier for achievement, but as an excuse for failure. And that’s just… pathetic. Doing something awesome with one hand behind one’s back is even more awesome. Doing nothing interesting because one insists on keeping one’s hand behind one’s back is a cop-out.

I haven’t seen a Renathal Quest Mage.

So far I am back to Platinum in Wild.

1 Like

Heya, @Marcoscongas! You’re of my favorite posters here. I wanted to ask if we could add each other. My battletag:

Killuminati#11956

Lenne know if that’s okay.

Check your account.

I sent the friendship invite.

1 Like

I appreciate it. As I said above, you are one of the best commentators here.
May I ask; what’s rank are you Standard?

I’m at a point wherein I need to be coached and improve. I’v always been nervous to ask tt tech me (severe social anxiety). What do you tinnk?

I try. But sometimes I can be a jerk.

I am climbing still. I switch back and forth between Standard and Wild.

I usually get Legend in one and around D3 in the other.

Are you sure that coaching is what you need? Are you already optimizing your decks? And checking what’s good to keep in the mulligan? And matchups?

My best advice, try to play quickly when you already know your plan. If a person wastes time by doing stupid stuff like roping out a Questline on turn one they’re wasting time, over a number of games it adds up, and those are games those people never got to play.

1 Like

Touché. I know the basics of Hearthstone, but at this point, I believe the only fo me to improve is to seek some in-game guidance.

Oh, and yes, my competitive decks are perfectly refined. I do mess around off-meta decks here and there, but that is only after reach a rank floor.

That is probably my worst skill, actually.

1 Like