Questions from a player wanting to join

Sounds good, are updates and content pretty common?

Yes on all counts , f2p since 2014 the game has improved alot in terms of the new player experience .
Also welcome.

1 Like

Yes. There is a lot of YouTube and especially Twitch coverage for the game. Community-wise, don’t look to the official forums as representative. Sites like OutOfCards, dedicated Discord servers, the CompetitiveHS reddit and such are far more valuable if you’re really looking to get plugged in. This place is largely for fun.

So long as you have some patience and can work with limited resources as you build your collection. The game is far more F2P-friendly than the year I joined and was F2P, and I know several players who play to Legend every month that don’t spend a dime. It’s all about managing expectations.

Yes, without a doubt. Despite the doomsaying of salty players, the game has done nothing in recent year but expand in terms of both design (these new cards are fantastic) and overall scope, with BGs being a somewhat recent addition and the mostly singleplayer Mercenary game mode coming out later this year, which appears to be similar to games like AFKArena and such. This game/platform will likely be around for a very long time and seems to be developed with sustainability very much in mind.

Hope this helped and, if you decide to jump in, welcome to the game!

Yes, far more than before. Oftentimes multiple balance patches per expansion when needed, a major expansion launch three times per year, with mini-set release in between those, and monthly(ish) single player adventures released.

3 Likes

And one of the main things to keep in check as F2P is the expectation of how far you’ll get in Ranked the first several months. While it’s not impossible to hit Legend the first month with a fresh account, that takes a lot of dedication and knowledge of the game.

As long as you get further than last month you’re making progress.

2 Likes

Wow really? I thought it was like WoW where an expansion was only every 2 years, that’s really cool

hehe.
That would make the game very stale. MtG, the Grandfather of CCGs, has had several expansions a year since - 1997? Here’s an intro to the New Player Experience, albeit a year old. It should show you the ropes, bells & whizzles - plus the freebies:

https://hearthstone.fandom.com/wiki/New_player_experience

This is a very good question. Right now, I am unsure how sustainable Blizzard is, let alone Hearthstone.

1- Yes
2- Yes , but you ll have to play only one class and dust everything else for a few months, then maybe start building another after one expansion.
3- Only you can answers this.

Isn’t that unneccessary now, since you can get one functionable deck for free anyway?

1 Like

100% agree with this ^^^

Nope!! We just had an expansion back at the end of March!

Also, do not dust everything you have in order to maximize just one class unless you don’t mind ZERO variety.

I was new to this game once, I did exactly that and wound up hating myself for it for quite some time. Build what you can with what you have, when you graduate the Novice Ranks pick a free deck that really appeals to you, and enjoy yourself.

Yes, IMO is even better than in the past. 6 years ago there was an expansion at 4 months and barely any nerfs(Patches remained OP for an eternity), now there is also a mini-expansion 2 months after release + constant balance patches.

Having the whole collection is still impossible as f2p, but 100% better than in the past. I recommend playing all classes for 2-3 weeks and choose 1-2 favourite classes to gather a collection.

Yes I think. You can also download it on mobile, it’s a great game to play on bus, at work/school when you’re bored. Just try to not get too involved, competitive games always creates frustration when you care too much and Hearthstone is not an exception.

1 Like

The free deck are often missing a couple of legendaries of the current expansions compared to tier1 deck, aren’t they?

welcome. i am only a month ahead of you. i don’t regret starting.

i haven’t bought any packs yet. don’t feel like i have to.

my goal is only a 50 percent win rate. bonus stars will carry you slowly up the ladder.
battlegrounds are where it’s at though. no cards or gold needed. with all the different modes, you shouldn’t be bored

sustainable or not is above my pay grade

good luck.

1 Like

Sure, that why I called them “functionable”. Oops, should have written “functional”. They work, but aren’t bullet-proof Tier 1 decks. Which initially shouldn’t be a real concern for a new player, hm? There are quite a number of budget lists floating around, Azale, just keep in mind that on 8.8.21 the new expansion starts and shake the current meta up.

Nothing in this game ist set in (Hearth)stone. :innocent:

1 Like
  1. Yes
  2. No, F2P is playing 1 or 2 tier1 decks over and over again. Very boring.
  3. If you are not F2P then yes, you have a lot of fun from it, but otherwise no.

My advice is to buy every expansion pre-order offered for 2 years, then dust whatever goes to wild after that to permanently sustain any deck you want to make in standard from then onwards.

It’ll save you time in the long run. I usually have around 50000-60000 dust every April (the start of the rotation) and it means I don’t have to spend money any more because the combination of playing casually for gold on top of the dust means I am always playing stuff I actually want to play.

I cant advice dusting cards as a f2p player. You will only get 1/4 of value when dusting a card. Best way is to dust only cards that you have more than 2. Also dust gold cards since they give more dust.

In the long run you will have a big collection if you just keep doing your dailies and weeklies. I would say maybe in a year you will start to have fun with your collection. Also in 5 years you can play all your cards in wild which will make f2p more sustainable.

I have played this game for 7 years (only bought adventures for money) and I have maybe 90% of all cards of each expansion. You cant get every epic and legendary but you have enough dust to pick the ones you want.

1 Like

I’ll cross-reference my response to the same topic posted on Community Discussion, here:

Only buy classic packs and play classic, after 6-8 months you’d be decently set. I don’t think anyone should expect to be playing this game 2 years from now, you might be, but don’t expect it since most people swap games more frequently than that.

I agree that it functional. May not win a lot though, unless the class is currently very strong.