Nostalgia Thread

So I just got booted off while trying to finish heroic BRM (thank god I finished Malkoriak) and got time to kill. Got thinking about some things.

Though we are often wont to talk of things like “the good ol’ days”, I figured might as well go all the way and ask: are there any specific moments that stand out to you from back then?

I remember when Mech Mage was considered unbelievably powerful. Friggin Mech Warpers - if you didn’t have a Wrath or a Win Axe right there, there’d be hell to pay. Cloaked Antonidas too.

I remember unboxing Sneed’s Old Shredder and being incredibly happy about it - it was one of the weird new cards that everyone was fascinated over.

I remember my first 12-win Arena. Gadgetstan Auctioneer still cost 5, and I drafted two… plus eight copies of Chain Lightning. I had no idea CL was supposed to be a bad card and somehow pulled through.

What about your moments?

6 Likes

When I was so happy that I was winning some games at R15 with my off-meta decks. Rank didn’t matter to me alot as I am F2P and quite casual. Soon, I made more friend within the game, and start learning more about the game and how to be more competitive. Now, I am a salty old fool that grumbles when I lose and with much innocence lost… “the good ol’ days”

6 Likes

There was always a few decks that really stood out and people hated. It’s like that because there are no “counters” to many decks. You just counter classes with classes.

With all that said, my favorite time was when Reno Jackson was meta. A little bit after the time that pirate warrior lost power and became a tier 2 deck. My absolute favorite deck to play was machine gun priest - i love that deck to pieces. The problem was that during this time you also had to face lots of druids.

Just to cut to what i want to say: The game has always had a meta that a few decks dominated. This is usually always the case. You either play the meta or the meta plays you. You either love this or hate it. I absolutely hate hearthstone and would never recommend the game to a friend, but I can’t stop playing it. I still love it. It’s a sick and twisted relationship.

4 Likes

My standout moment of happiness from my earliest of days in the game is and always will be beating a Jade Rogue who’d gotten a his board of Jades all the way up to 9/9… With an almost entirely Basic-only Mage deck. Frost Nova so my minions could start pushing toward lethal then topdecking into Blizzard won it for me with the classic Fireball cherry on top at the end.

:heart: Mage :heart:

4 Likes

I just wanted to add. I forgot that this was mainly about “nostalgia”. I remember a few years back that I became obsessed with Jaina and ended up getting a custom body pillow that was a 100 percent replica of Jaina and loving that thing to pieces. It’s so crusty right now, but i still love her.

I actually end up staring at her for a very long time when playing hearthstone. It’s why it takes me 75 seconds a turn when i switch between the very stable genius decks of control warrior, tempo rogue, and secret hunter.

That’s my nostalgia story.

3 Likes

I Iike the stories so far, this topic is heading in the right direction.

I see you love Mage in a very different way lol

3 Likes

No picture, No talk :smiling_imp:

10 Likes

That is far too sexy, you need to mark that with a NSFW tag!

6 Likes

Hahaha. That’s great! I might have to petition someone to make me one of those.

My kids have the same Giraffe stuffy that is hiding under the upper right corner .

2 Likes

I now demand that we have our first episode of Hearthstone Cribs, featuring Reaver!!

5 Likes

This

I, too, long for the days when getting to R15 was the ultimate goal…and then that one time I made a run ALL THE WAY to R9. Walking on air.

I remember first starting to play and thinking “hey, beasts synergize really well with that hyena card…”. Not realizing that I could go online and look at decks…What’s a net-deck?

Now I, too, am a grumpy old player with much salt who considers a season below R5 as a waste. I miss the “good ol’ days”

4 Likes

The good times.
The bad times.

It’s all an illusion Teo.
-equips tinfoil hat-https://youtu.be/pFS4zYWxzNA

2 Likes

Reno Jackson release. It is my absolutely favorite card.

I played Reno Warlock so much. It was the first control deck I was able to afford as f2p player, because it didn’t require two copies of every epic and was quite flexible for replacements. I also liked this restriction of only one copy of each card because it would provide new deck building possibilities. Though I’m not a deckbuilder I liked experimenting with different tech choices and cards that suited my playstyle.

Played it non-stop, whole night until morning on weekends. I don’t think I’ve ever played HS so much as during this Reno Jackson release.

4 Likes

I was the same. Reno jackson decks were prime hearthstone for me. I don’t think I’ve had a better time in this game than that era. That was when they used to release meta defining cards with single player expansions.

1 Like

Nostalgia days:

1. back in vanilla when arena was so much easy you would get 7+ wins every time

2. the days when hunter was playable

3. when control decks aimed to simply outlast your opponent and not getting an insane win condition

1 Like

I still remember my 1st 12 arena wins where I drafted like 5 Abyssal Enforcers and just cleared the board turn after turn.

I have memories of control warrior using Justicar Trueheart(one of my favorite cards) saving me from Zoo locks over and over again at 1 health back in the days.

Good times…

Worst time:
Rogue quest un nerfed. First month of Ungore ladder was true suffering, quest rogue made me quiet the game and didn’t come back until Oct of that year

I miss the days before hero cards. The days when value actually mattered were the good ol days for me

My most memorable moment is still beating a Reno/Quest Priest, who healed for 80+ or so, in fatigue with my control/Medivh Hunter with 1 health to spare. This was before KFT, so no DK Rexxy value to carry the late game, and all I had was a single Healbot iirc.

I think I still have the replay floating around somewhere, I really should watch it again one day.

3 Likes

A control hunter of all things beating that style of Priest? Dude, thats a reply you share with ALL of us chief.

3 Likes