Newbie question about which card packs to buy

Hi, I’m semi-new to Hearthstone, and I’ve already purchased the 5 dollar best deal. Which expansion card packs should I be buying with my gold/money next?

1 Like

Rotation happens in April. At that time Witchwood, Boomsday, and Rastakhan will be Wild only. Invest very lightly on them, maybe only enough until you open one Legendary card (First Legendary has a 10 pack pity timer). In any case, Witchwood and Rastakhan are weak sets.

I recommend buying Classic, Shadows, and Uldum in equal quantities, switching sets every time you open a Legendary card.

Avoid crafting cards from the 3 rotating sets.

Finally, don’t dust Legendary cards. They have no duplicate protection (can’t open another copy in a pack) when they are in your collection, otherwise you could open multiple copies of the same one you didn’t want.

2 Likes

Thanks. By the way, How long do I have if I want to pre-order the packs for the next expansion?

Until the release day. If you intend to spend, pre release is the best bang for your buck.

Recently, Hearthstone implemented a guaranteed legendary system. In your first ten packs of any given expansion, you are guaranteed a legendary! So first, before all else, open up a legendary in Rise of Shadows and Savior of Uldum (buy packs until you get a legendary).

After that, I would suggest you build up a solid classic set. The classic set cards generally have a stronger non classic set version but classic cards never cycle out and are the only cards you can always play in standard.

Now… about spending irl money. If you’re willing to spend 50$ to buy the pre-release pack, go for it because the pre-release packs are supposed to be worth it. However, if you can’t/aren’t willing to spend that much on a single expansion, I suggest waiting because Hearthstone occasionally releases nice deals.

Also, as general advice, you can use your gold to compete in arena. If you can win over 4 games per run, it’s generally worth it.

Also, do dust terrible non classic legendaries. Unless you get a massive amount of packs, you’re unlikely to hit duplicates anyway and there are enough useless legendaries per release that you can see hitting a duplicate as equivalent to hitting another terrible legendary.

Don’t tell him that. We don’t need more posts about someone opening garbage legos. I remember one guy that got the old Warlock Quest 3 times.

If I buy classic cards sets is that where you get cards that Icyveins has listed as coming from expert packs? Also do they still count for the standard game?

Yes, Expert is the original name for Classic packs. They will stay in Standard and not rotate, except for a few cards each year which rotate to Wild via the Hall of Fame set.