Newbie Q: Why did Opponent Attack Themselves?

I’ve unlocked the basic 10 heroes and am new to the game. I’ve only played a few days, including some online player vs player. In an online game, Jaina vs Jaina, my opponent used fireball, hero power etc. to attack their own minions and hero. Were they clueless? De-ranking? (How much lower could there possibly be to go??) Just messing around? Some quest benefit to losing? Or is there a strategy to attacking one’s own side?

I won easily, 27 to 0. I’m just confused by that game.

they were just easily completing their quests because actually playing is not fun. youll see it a lot. we also start games and go do something else to let quests finish themselves so expect games where the opponent just sits there doing nothing all game.

1 Like

There is a growing number of players simply going afk or suiciding the matches just to complete dailies. I have completely stopped playing, although, I usually regret not at least doing dailies, the game has just become another point of stress as a result of the state of the game.

3 Likes

Thank you both for your answers. That makes sense.

There are times when it is strategic to attack your own minions, for example when their attack value increases when damaged.

It sounds like in this particular case it was just someone messing around though.

1 Like

dont you just love it when the forum trolls go to the new player tavern to discourage new players from playing <3

2 Likes

I’d be confused myself if my opponent started Fireballing their face without killing themselves that same turn. In that case, I would just take it for what it is, a free win.

2 Likes

You object to my comment? My intention was not to discourage. In fact, I should have noticed this was the new player forum, but I didn’t.

Regardless, my post wasn’t without merit. If you felt it was out of line, if love to hear your objective comments on the subject.

Might be possible they got a “play 20 minions of XYZ” quest and then just started suiciding them to play them faster, or were bored and messing around etc.

I know during the “play 20 divine shield minion” quests or 20 murloc quests i would legit just hop into wild to play random garbage with the full arsenal of cards and 30/30 cards of junk effects.

I really don’t get why people stress out so much over no wild tournaments like standard where the meta is 99.5% figured out and decks are 29/30 the same decks ± 1 or 2 tech cards for a tournament. For the average joe i just care about having lots of dust, getting my monthly Diamond 5 / Ranked awards, having cards to experiment and play with and getting my quests done. I’ve seen no detriments to playing wild (minus maybe like 10 second to 1 minute ques for matchmaker matches), but ehh nothing gamebreaking. And also crafting decks to last 3 years like Secret burn mage and old Odd pally got nerfed for some reason. Well whatever it is maybe newbies can’t netdeck or make random decks as well, but i’ve been able to homebrew good decks and have fun there… although i kinda regret playing it so much the game just matches me against the top 10-20 legend decks and i can’t figure out a quest mage counter to t6 iceblock + lethal.

I did this many times to complete get three wins with a class quests when I don’t have the collection to actually do it. I liked the mage and rogue ones the most because I could kill myself faster.