New Rainbow Mage list

I revised the old rainbow mage variants to a (somewhat) playable list for the warrior matchup, which is terrorizing ladder and old lists are now unable to reach above 40 damage without godly discovers.

Removed:
Salesman, the card is unplayable in rainbow mage now. First, it’s not worth using as a finisher with the start up damage being 0. Also, you can’t even dump it if needed, so it can only be used for cycle.

Cryopreservation and Skaters. These cards just aren’t needed in this meta imo. Against hunter skater is too slow and too awkward and against warrior it only serves as a rat target.

Added:
Watercolor Artist, the new star of the deck. That’s your way to reach the 60 plus damage now. I also added x1 cross-stitch as a secondary target after frostbolt in case of bad draws.

Also, compared to my own before list since I wasn’t facing hunter I now added x1 heatwave since it’s much more popular.

I think the deck can perform, but it’s obviously not like before. I think this is the only version you can use for it to be a genuine capable deck. You can reach close to 60 damage without needing to rely on good discovers.

If anyone has a different idea or some add-ons or excludes, let me know.

List

Custom Mage2

Class: Mage

Format: Standard

Year of the Pegasus

2x (1) Arcane Artificer

2x (1) Discovery of Magic

2x (1) Flame Geyser

2x (1) Glacial Shard

1x (2) Audio Amplifier

2x (2) Frostbolt

1x (2) Heat Wave

1x (2) Infinitize the Maxitude

2x (2) Primordial Glyph

2x (2) Stargazing

2x (2) Void Scripture

2x (3) Reverberations

1x (4) Frost Lich Cross-Stitch

2x (4) Watercolor Artist

2x (5) Inquisitive Creation

2x (5) Wisdom of Norgannon

1x (6) Puzzlemaster Khadgar

1x (6) Sif

AAECAf0EBsbHBev0BdH4BdaYBrinBuPPBgzs9gXe+AW//gXY/gXxgAaDlQbymwayngbTnga2pwaF5gaG5gYAAA==

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

edit: I went a regular 3-0 with this version, nothing crazy and could be just a lucky streak. But 1 was versus warrior, one versus hunter and one versus paladin. Against warrior I had 45 damage from hand before I excluded Salesman, so that includes a snake oil, a frostbolt, a geyser and one reverb’d sif.
Against the paladin I had 58 damage, so this deck can reach those levels.

2 Likes

I think no minion mage has alot of potential do you agree especialy with sunset volley now at 9 mana what do you think.

Spell Mage will have potential when the restriction will provide a reward rather than a way to lose.

Restricting yourself by not including minions, only for the yogg card to kill you rather than the opponent is not worth it.

I played it yesterday before making this list. I got the “deal 7, draw 7” card twice from one yogg in the box and drew so much fatigue that I went to -80 before exploding.

Of course there is also wheel which you might hit and that card is not meant to be played in mage. Without minions you won’t have ways to heal to survive the 5 turns and win the game.

The day they will rework yogg in the box will be the day the deck might be good. Right now it’s not even a meme deck.

Best case yogg in the box is a clear and at best case orb is a clear with some face damage that isn’t enough to otk. At worst both are ways to lose the game.

1 Like

When evaluating mage in standard don’t take reno warrior into account please no deck other deck other than top tier aggro decks can beat them.

I don’t understand how you get value from the watercolor artists? I mean if you are lucky you can draw 2x Frost bolts, but there’s no way watercolor artists is surviving one turn.

How is that better than the minions that discount spells with death rattle?

Also my problem vs warrior is their near perfect ability to rat Sif out wherever I play.

Hehe, that was what I had thought when the card came out also, but it doesn’t work like that.
I advice for you to understand it yourself, try reading it carefully, since I had made the same mistake.

Artist doesn’t need to be on the board for the discount to keep happening. It’s like an aura around the card where it discounts it every start of the turn without the artist needing being on board.

And with that, you’ll have more cheap damage for your sif turn. :+1:

Oh so you drop them and they discount the frostbolts in hand as well?

Also how do you avoid losing Sif to 4x dirty rat battle crys? Depend on luck?

Yep.
The warrior matchup was draw dependent even before the changes. Nothing that can be done about rat pulling 2 cards from hand. But warriors are greedy enough that if they haven’t gotten brann they won’t play rat.

So only thing you can do is hope they don’t get both in hand by the point you’ll go in.

Well it discounts the one it draws.
Best way to describe it is that the discount is part of the battlecry, not an aura effect.
The discount will keep happening to the frost spell the particular artist drew, even without him on board. So you can always expect frostbolt to reach 0 mana after 2 turns and your opponent can’t do nothing to change that.

Good list. This is the one i am using post patch. Very similar to yours, i might drop the artificers for skmething else.

Sif revisited

Class: Mage

Format: Standard

Year of the Pegasus

2x (1) Arcane Artificer

2x (1) Discovery of Magic

2x (1) Flame Geyser

2x (2) Frostbolt

2x (2) Heat Wave

1x (2) Infinitize the Maxitude

2x (2) Primordial Glyph

2x (2) Stargazing

2x (2) Void Scripture

1x (2) Watcher of the Sun

2x (3) Reverberations

2x (4) Frost Lich Cross-Stitch

2x (4) Watercolor Artist

2x (5) Inquisitive Creation

2x (5) Wisdom of Norgannon

1x (6) Puzzlemaster Khadgar

1x (6) Sif

AAECAf0EBK3tBev0BdH4BePPBg3s9gXe+AW//gXY/gXxgAaDlQbWmAbymwaynga2pwa4pwaF5gaG5gYAAA==

To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

1 Like

I saw on another post you had an owlonius and coliffero combo deck. Do you have that deck list? I really want to try your homebrew.