My awful first (and last) 3 hours of Hearthstone

So I tried out Hearthstone this afternoon, encouraged by pack giveaways on twitch prime etc.

What an awful experience. Played 3 hours and not a single win once I tried human opponents, not even close. Facerolled by superior players every time, with cards that completely and utterly outclass anything I have available to me.

I get that you want to encourage people to buy packs and unlock better cards, but the end result is that the only people playing this are overwhelmingly powerful compared to newbies.

It’s the equivalent of restricting new players to pistols and half health in an online shooter… I won’t be back.

7 Likes

It took awhile for me to get my first win, but I still enjoy the experience. Although with the new DH (demon hunter) class and deck, it feels a bit impossible to win.

This isn’t a game you’re going to walk into and start climbing ranks straight away. The game takes time to learn mechanics, interactions, play styles, deck lists, order of play, board position and many more things on top of it.

I’ve been playing to game on and off since 2014, spent the first year struggling at low end ranks ( 17-15 on the old system ) before working up to rank 5 and now pushing legend. I have a history of other card games too. I’m afraid this game takes time. You’re not gonna walk in and start beating people off the bat.

However if you do decide to give it another go, every 150 coins you get play arena, peoples decks will be more on level with each other and if you can get a couple of wins you will make better value per coin in rewards

Their tactics don’t lead to sales for most people. Most people; like myself, just walk away and uninstall. There is no such thing as a new player queue.

1 Like

yhea, that s the reason they started loosenign their “to hell our customers” policy, and started giving out some real major stuff, like free DECKS and duplicate protection for all cards.

their plan was to screw the western market and go to china to make the big bucks, but apparently that isn t working as well as they hoped.

They really need the Rank 50 to 40 back for new players and without Demon Hunters. I suggest this so new players have 10 ranks worth of game to play and get used to.

There is already 3 Classic packs you get for free every 5 ranks but I don’t think it’s enough. It should be 3 from each current Standard set etc. I think they’re giving a free deck promotion but it’s limited and only when you reach the ‘normal’ ranks with everyone else. Something like that should be permanent.

Lastly, ‘trial decks’ should be a thing so you could try for 5-10 games and then you can decide whether to craft towards it or something.

It could be better for sure.

You aren’t wrong in any way.

I would assume new player churn is massive, either from instant uninstall or realising after a short while that you start playing.

Then it is just those that get hooked, do research and realise that with some expenditure you can play a game where there is a constant stream of players to steamroll. That can’t be a massive number.

Even in late 2017 it wasn’t much different, just worse being as there was no protected start for new players.

You only have to play for maybe a week or two to realise how ridiculous the idea that buying a starter pack and getting 50(?) cards that will supposedly make you able to compete is.

Once I realised that – very early on - I have never spent a penny and never will.