MoonFang dies in one hit with Mo'arg artificer on board

Bug:
I played MoonFang with two other minions on the board. My opponent was demon hunter in the match. He then played two Mo’arg Artificer and then targeted my middle minion with Felscream Blast and killed all three of my minions including the undamaged MoonFang. According to MoonFang he should have taken only 1 damage. Seems like a bug to me.

It’s not a bug. Just how the dmg is ordered.

He does get hit for 1. But the Artificers double the dmg, then double it again–so he gets hit for 4, killing him.

There’s no way it should work like that. Moonfang should only take 1 damage regardless of Spell Damage or other damage modifiers. Maybe that’s “Just how the dmg is ordered”, but that seems like it should be fixed.

2 Likes

I am still not convinced that this interaction is bugged, since Artifcer modifies damage taken rather than damage dealt.

both moarg and moonfang are damage modifying effects and will be applied at the same time in the order the cards are played. so if moonfang is played first then moonfang will first make the damage 1 and moarg will then double it. the effects will only be applied once each meaning moonfang will not try to loop its own effect (because if the cards had that functionality then 2 moargs would loop for inifinite damage)

twenty characters……

That is bs. IT shouldn’t work that way and kinda makes moonfang more trash.

the way you want it to work where moonfang changes the damage to 1 every time the damage changes will also make 2 moarg stack infinite damage because moarg and moonfang are the same type of effects (they change damage taken)

1 Like

Mo’arg is not a modifier to damage dealt. Like Moonfang, it affects damage taken. And your statement is just as correct as “Mo’arg should double damage taken regardless of any modifiers to damage dealt”.

With both on board, it’ll always be wrong according to some.
In all such cases, Hearthstone has historically always gone with order played.

1 Like

Seems this issue might not be as simple, as shown with the same kind of interaction (cursed blade + armored artificer)

In the end, it’s either a bug, or there should be a change in the wording, “only” means nothing else, so it should take priority over other cards.

cursed blade says “double damage dealt”, compare to moargs “damage taken”. so no, its not the same interaction.

1 Like

Same kind of interaction still, you double damage with one card (moarg/cursed blade) while restricting damage via another card with “only” in the text (moonfang/animated armor).

Question is : can you double damage even though there is a card that says “[you/this minion] can ONLY take 1 damage”.
For moonfang, the answer is yes, which is already nonsense imo. It’s also (probably) depending on the order of cards played (didn’t test it fully)
For animated armor, the answer is yes in only 1 specific case, it’s when the damage that is going to be doubled is equal to 1 (hence novice engineer dealing 2 damage, while a 2/3 minion will only deal 1 damage to the hero).

Animated armor was more tested, and the result is just as weird as it can get. It seems to NOT be a card order issue, but that for some reason if damage == 1, animated armor check returns true BEFORE the double damage gets applied, while if damage > 1, it puts it back to 1, but then, double damage does NOT get applied (as if animated armor check was then done AFTER, which makes no sense since it’s same order)

For moonfang, no one tested it fully yet, but we can pretty much assume the same kind of weirdness applies, as I very doubt the code between those 2 “only” cards change that much, especially considering the text being so similar.

edit :

the way you want it to work where moonfang changes the damage to 1 every time the damage changes will also make 2 moarg stack infinite damage because moarg and moonfang are the same type of effects (they change damage taken)

Why not just make “only” type of effect resolve last? if (moonfang == target) { queue(moonfang damage taken = 1) }
I assume there’s already some form of queue functions in hearthstone, so shouldn’t be that hard to add a queue on the card which shows “only” in the text. And otherwise, why not just simply change that word? “only” with such interaction MUST BE bugged, and if not, why this choice of word? It makes things so confusing for no reason. Only means you expect it to be above other effect…

no, because the timing of those cards are different. damage dealt is calculated before damage taken is applied and damage taken can modify how much damage is dealt.

Then how do you explain that if you have cursed blade and animated armor, 1/1 minion will hit you for 2 damage, while 2/3 minion will hit you for 1 damage?

In both case, damage dealt is calculated before, so 1/1 => 2damage dealt, and 2/3 => 4damage dealt, then damage taken, if resolved last, should in both case return 1damage, not 2 for the 1/1 minion?

Am I missing something? True enough, I’m a bit confused on why it even works like that

Though, again, EVEN IF it’s intended (but I’m also curious on the reason behind it, so please explain if you do understand :stuck_out_tongue:), my issue is then on the wording of the card, there’s no point to make it confusing by adding “only” in the card text, just write “damage is reduced to 1” instead, that way it’s more obvious that other type of modifiers can affect it. “Only” implies some kind of hierarchy, and it’s seems to not be the case (but well, for some reason cursed blade seems to have some kind of hierarchy with any damage > 1, and didn’t fully test moonfang, so still a bit perplex on wether it’s intended or not)

Because then there would be bug reports from people who play Mo’arg after Moonfang and are upset that the “only 1” is not doubled, as it should according to Mo’arg’s card text saying “all minions take double damage from spells”. And they would ask “why not just make “all” type of effect resolve last?”

Do you have a replay, I’d need to see all cards involved, and know in what order they hit the board, to work through all the effects.

And “all” doesn’t?

all implies some hierarchy, that’s a good point, but it isn’t at the same level than “only” imo.
You can make exception in any “all” rules, like, you can say “you can buy all drinks except alcohol”, but if you try to say the same with only, it becomes more tricky : “you can buy only non-alcoholic drinks”
From that sentence, how do you even add an exception? That’s the issue with the word “only”, hence why I believe it’s higher in hierarchy. You can’t make exception in rules using “only”, or it gets weird (“you can buy only non-alcoholic drinks, except beer/orange juice” not even sure if it should be beer or orange juice after the except to make the most sense).

Also, don’t forget that the word “all” must be used if you don’t want the text to be overly long, while the word “only” can easily be removed. For instance, moonfang could have “Damage is reduced to 1 on this minion”. That way, it’s more explicit that other effect can affect that damage reduction.

As for the replay, I wasn’t the one doing it, it was skizzy, look at that thread I posted earlier : Moonfang interaction - #12 by Skizzy-11719

“you can buy only non-alcoholic drinks, unless you are older than 18 and have proof of age on you”

Also, the word “only” has several meanings in English. A very common usage is to stress that something is reduced. “Normal price $2.99, now on sale for only $2.49 (taxes and surcharges apply)”

Anyway since this is the bug report forum we’re already off topic with this conversation. So this will be my last response.

Lol finally was confirmed that it should have taken 1 damage

1 Like