Matchmaking question

How does matchmaking work? I’m new to Hearthstone and I’m having fun but I just feel like I’m outmatched every time I play another person. They’ve got so much unlocked and I figured I’d be matched closer to my skill/experience level.

Here is what I know about matchmaking. In all cases, the algorithm starts by searching for a very close match, but gradually broadens the search parameters to avoid long queue times. So esp. at quiet times, matches might not be ideal.

• Ranked ladder, legendary ranks: Looks for an opponent based on the “MMR” (match making ranking) score, that works in a way similar to e.g. ATP points for pro tennis players: they go up on wins and down on losses, and the amount gained or lost depends on the difference between your and your opponent’s MMR. The MMR is not visible, but you can get a rough idea of your MMR by looking at your legendary rank, because that rank is based on sorting by highest MMR.
  • Ranked ladder, non-legendary ranks, WITH bonus stars: Same as above: based on MMR. Except in this case there is no way to get even an idea of what one’s MMR is.
  • Ranked ladder, non-legendary ranks, WITHOUT bonus stars: Looks for an opponent in the same rank (e.g. Silver 3, or Apprentice 24)
  • Casual, Tavern Brawl: Similar to above: based on player’s MMR. (I do not know whether this uses the same MMR as ranked games, or whether each game mode has its own MMR)
  • Battlegrounds: The game tries to put eight players of comparable MMR into a game. This MMR is independent of other game modes, specific for Battlegrounds only, and it is exposed to the player in the game client
  • Arena: The game matches you against another Arena player with the same win/loss rate, or (if those cannot be found fast enough) as close to it as possible. For the first few runs on a new account, you get slightly easier matches by pretending you have one more loss than you actually have, plus a preference to match you against another beginner account. (So a beginner at 2 wins and 1 loss would be paired to another 2-1 beginner, or to a 2-2 non-beginner)

I hope this helps.

Is the population pretty low? It seems weird I’m outmatched every time. I’m not super new to these types of tcg games just this one in particular.

Matchmaking does a good job if you are new you must to spend at least 1000USD on cards or you won’t have competitive decks!
Welcome Activision-Bli$$ard :money_mouth_face:

1 Like

I would not phrase it quite as harsh as Front242, but it is true that matchmaking for new players is difficult to get right, because some immediately buy loads of packs so they can make decks they find on websites. That does not make them good players yet, and they will still be crushed by experienced players. But they are definitely favoured over new players with a smaller card collection.
And a second problem is that sometimes experienced players make new (“smurf”) accounts. These do not have a large collection, but a much deeper experience and knowledge of the game, which gives them easy wins too.

All those unfair matches will of course mean that those opponents climb much faster than you. You are very unlikely to ever meet that same opponent again. But as long as new people start paying for lots of cards on new accounts, or new people start to make smurf accounts, there will always be new “favourite” opponents.

I mean I’m starting to climb. I’ve had tcg experience so I’m “ok” at deck building but man the first few dozen matches were harsh. I felt completely outmatched.

Luckily as my card pool increases my win rate is increasing too.

I haven’t spent a dollar on the game yet but I might once I feel knowledgeable enough that it’s worth my time.