Lost due to exploit?

Was playing ranked and winning against a rogue as mage, player was ‘Edgar’, timer rope was stuck at the end with his card in the middle of screen and his avatar kept demoting

Left it running for about 10 min, I closed the app and reopened, lost

My internet was good cause I was watching YouTube on the other screen

On Windows

Floating card? See the sticky that is right above your post.

Well this was late mid game, and was really convenient for him

That sticky is 9 months old, is it possible that ppl figured out to use some form of trick to make your disconnect?

I know blizzard is a small indie company, think they have the time to fix this bug?

did you read the post? its a disconnect issue

Actually, there has been a version of that explanation available on the older forums for years. Now, is it possible that there is an exploit which forces people to disconnect? Yes, since those bugs have been found before, though typically this gets known by the community VERY fast, people who use it on purpose get suspended or banned and a fix is released ASAP.

One thing to keep in mind: this situation struck you because you were about to win. Everybody who complains about a disconnect like this is saying their opponent was about to loose. Nobody is complaining that the opponent was about to win, and I think the reason is that if one’s opponent is about to win, and it looks like they are BMing by holding the card, we just close the app or something to end it sooner, and don’t realize it is the same.

All that being said, if you think the opponent might have found an exploit, gather as much data as possible, minimum: all cards in play, all cards played in the last turn. Ideally also timing (with a video recording). And if it looks like a reproducible issue, DO NOT SHARE IT publicly! Instead, hacks can be reported here:

Problem with this explanation is that it makes it seem like it’s the user’s internet connect or something else on their side and this bug is ‘ok’ / blizzard does not fix it, so now its NOT getting fixed for years

My internet was working just fine, I was on a VPN on another laptop and watching YouTube

It’s a bug cause on the client side, if the rope is stuck, it should try to reconnect and / or do the popup for me to reconnect

Fix your game

the issue is your connection to the blizzard server, not your internet connection…

Blizzard HAS been improving the situation. As a player since the closed beta time, 6 years ago, I have seen some improvements for sure. For example, the game will often detect when you are disconnected, and you would then see a message that it is attempting to reconnect, and then once successful, you can continue the game. Once that game is over, it asks you to quit Hearthstone to restart it and thus fully reconnect.

Also, if you find that you are disconnected, you can force-quit Hearthstone (Alt+F4 in Windows) and start it again as soon as possible, in which case it will log you back into the game in progress. I am assuming there are other ways they have improved behind the scene. But given the number of variables between your computer and Blizzard’s servers, the connection could be lost along the way, without you or Blizzard being to blame.

I also play a fair amount of Rocket League, and it does happen, once in a while, that a player stops moving, then disappears completely with a “connection lost” system message in the chat. Connections issues do happen. If they happen to you, specifically, a lot, then chances are the issue is closer to you. Either your home network, or your ISP’s network. I am not a network expert, but the Technical Support forum has some of those lurking around, they can help you out. However, if it was just the one time, then don’t worry about finding the cause.

Remember that turns last only 75s (I think… or is is 80?), so if your opponent’s turn is taking longer than that while they don’t do anything (or just keep hold of a card above the field), you might have disconnected. If you opponent holds a card above the field AND emotes (or you can see the other cards highlight as they hover the mouse over the cards), then it is definitely a disconnect, since it is not possible to use the mouse to hold a card and emote at the same time! In that case, very quickly force-quit and restart to return to the game in progress. If you do it quickly enough, it will still be your turn.