Is there such thing as a successful unique deck?

As a test, I’ve spent the last couple weeks making and playing exclusively with my OWN unique decks. No net-decking! I like to believe I have the basic concepts of deck building. (Like not having 30 taunt minions or selecting cards based on colors). I’ll make a deck and tweak it over and over in an attempt to up my win rate. I’ve tried rush decks, control, & mid-range. I’m sad to report that I’ve yet to be able to build MY OWN deck that can attain a better than 50/50 win rate.

Do I level up? Of course! Who doesn’t with this new ranking system designed to make you feel better about yourself?

Of course, I don’t believe that I can build a deck better than the pros, but…

where is the joy in building your own deck? If one of the joys to playing isn’t deck creation, why even have that as part of the game?

That being said, I do find joy in intentionally making a bad deck… I can lose ten or twenty in a row, but when I finally get a win it is very exciting!

However, making a competitive deck? Not probable when 90% of my opponents seem to be net-decking.

Context for those wondering: I’ve been playing since beta (off an on, but mostly on). I’m a casual player but I mostly keep up with cards and meta and the such. I’ll watch the tournaments here and there. Never reached legendary but I’ve been above rank 5 (old system) several times. Rank 2 being my best.

Short answer: Probably for 10 minutes, then people will copy it.

Longer answer: Great! You love creating decks! I always enjoy people coming up with their own ideas, no sarcasm.

But: not everybody is like you: some lack the creativity, or the time to make their own decks. Others simply don’t enjoy it. And yes, some people are looking for the easy way out. In my opinion, these players are also right in their own way: they simply enjoy different aspects of the game then you do.

Personally I am a mixture of both: I tend to look up decks, I find interesting, but sometimes I just throw cards together to have fun.

1 Like

If a deck is unique you’ll hardly meet it in the ladder and it has no chances to get into metareport so even if it has 100% winrate you’ll never know about it.

Actually yes. I myself experienced it once. I remember I hit legend with a 78% win rate. It is possible to create the right deck and counter the meta. But of course, it is not so easy. Give it a try :wink:

Note: Play at least 10-20 games to decide if the deck is ok or not.

Successful decks are designed to counter the decks that have the most meta presence. They “prey” on those matchups.

The issue with this meta is that DH is still overpowered (according to data, not An opinion) and some classes just don’t have the tools to deal (shaman and Paladin).

When you break down the meta, this is what it looks like; DH dominating, Highlander hunter doing what it does (without an insane win rate, so it’s actually balanced atm), warrior simply took a meta spot because it counters pretty much only DH, and priest and rogue are still leaning heavily on galakrond for enough value to outpace DH. There are no successful decks without galakrond for those two classes. (There have been others, but they are mostly meme decks or just unable to compete against DH.

The thing is:

When you are creating a deck, you are trying to make it the best it can be. And you know who already did this…? A pro.

So you are just doing all the work the pro already did. The pro already tried a deck and optimized it to the max. That’s why most people will not waste time building a deck.

Yes, there is. Just because it’s not in the ladder meta doesn’t mean it can’t be successful.

I, personally, have a strict rule; no meta builds. I’ve never looked at a meta guide, I’ve never followed some HS player to copy what he’s playing, and I mostly ignore card critiques.

Do most of my builds lose? Yea, they do. But they also win. And I fine tune them. Some of them get better and some of them get scrapped.

At the end of the day, I’d rather lose playing my custom decks built with my own hands than win playing some unoriginal, copy/paste deck that some HS YouTuber put out for everyone else to play.

Because it’s mine.