Is Arena awful or is it just me?

Yeah pretty much. Just like rigging believers. You’re being propagandized because you want a reason to place the blame for your failures elsewhere. This version just has a little less anti-corporatism and a little more anti-Chinese racism.

The difference is that there’s zero rigging but there’s actually a very small amount of botting. Like the difference between thin air and a grain of sand.

Sure, Donald, only you can save us.

You are very much not enough of a billionaire to be as much of … as you are, bud.

I guarantee you are very much single.

Tell us you no longer play the game without telling us.

In Arena. I probably should have qualified.

Also, the one part of the article I THOROUGHLY believe is real is this:

If Hearthstone players had absurd amounts of gold thanks to botting [in Wild], then there would be no incentives to play a run if their drafted decks weren’t insane.

Ranked, at first Classic and now Wild, is obviously infested with gold farming bots, and the owners of these bots use the gold on Arena runs that they only play if the decks are very strong.

What I DON’T believe is that such players make up the MAJORITY of Arena. If Rinse has said that you can’t go above six wins without running into one, that would be more believable.

Tell me you have not played the mode in a year without telling me.

The closure of the Asian server changed EU and NA.

There is demand for this content in China and botting is considered normal rather than cheating.

It is a fact despite your denials.

https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/barcode-accounts-explained-how-cheaters-and-botters-ruin-classic-and-arena/

Feel free to look through the current leaderboards and see the same thing. Also assume LavaMoose, TinyPants, BounceyKnight, and similar accounts are likely bot accounts, too.

There are less than 17k accounts that qualified for the leaderboards in arena, but many more accounts than that got banned.

You know, if you were the intellectually curious sort, you could do an analysis of past and present leaderboards and see how many accounts are on both lists.

You mean like how there are about 20k more players on the board with 30+ runs in season 39 vs season 40, when the massive ban wave happened? And how that number has crept back up 10k since, where bot accounts outnumber player accounts?

Ya, a guy who was not a complete moron would see enough napkin math to know better, but if you have time and nothing better, knock yourself out with some crazy analysis that you do not need to do to know better.

You know, you actually made a good point about that jump from 27k to 7k. You could maybe try to be less of a jerk about it.

You came into a conversation and condescended people who knew more than you (again), insulted them as being only slightly better than the conspiracy people, called them racist, and now you are telling me not to be a jerk?

Wow. Clearly I am still wrong, right? Right?

You don’t seem to understand how it works I’m guessing. They don’t “sell the accounts” as you’re imagining. It’s more like “borrow the account for $”. Or, “Here’s my PW, play my arena draft so my account shows up on your stream”.

And it’s a big “IF Blizzard bans the account”. Remember, these people are VPNing, so tracking it isn’t as easy as one might think.

Thus, the streamer themselves don’t buy a bot because they want to keep their account. They use these other accounts.

See above. Above scenarios I laid out just destroy your entire #2.

There’s another thread talking about this and someone literally posted how to see this arena playing via a draft deck in action firsthand.

Not that anecdotal evidence is great evidence, but I literally have friends on my friend list from China that have told me this is exactly what is happening. Not all Chinese players are happy about it.

Do you understand that reporting on facts can still be propagandistic/biased, right? Like if you show a clip of a speech that makes the speaker look bad, and leaving out clips that make them look good?

I stand by my comments that you quoted in reference the article Killuminati linked to. I still have contempt for that kind of “journalism” and I consider it justified. What I did that was wrong was I kinda wrapped you up in that, and for that I am sorry. The article that you linked is significantly better.

You’re kidding right? Please tell me that you’re kidding.

No, you don’t seem to understand what I’m saying. I’m saying that if X let’s Y use their account, a check for matching IPs on accounts to catch a botter won’t work. I was assuming that’s what you thought could happen to catch people sharing or selling accounts.

Also if X logs in at location A and then X logs in at location B within 10 minutes and A and B are 250 miles away types of checks won’t work.

The old “Netflix” trick if you will.

EDIT: No addressing anything else I said?

They also retire bad decks in front of you while streaming.

No IP address is required to ban an account. I understand what a VPN is, but it doesn’t do anything because IP addresses don’t matter. The Netflix analogy doesn’t apply.

fuglarg’s article basically explains how easy it is to track them:
https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/barcode-accounts-explained-how-cheaters-and-botters-ruin-classic-and-arena/
Go to the Arena leaderboards page and go to the last page. A full list of serial retirers.

Maybe you’re imagining some holy grail of IP banning the botter, but that’s making the perfect the enemy of the good. These bots should be dealt with before they enter the real money exchange part of their lifecycle, not allowed to survive in the false hope that the botter will forget to keep his VPN on so his IP can be snagged.

I don’t believe that you have. You know what would do it? Link me two or more Twitch streams where the draft portion isn’t streamed and they just go right into gameplay.

I think faking the draft (pretending a recording is live) is a key element, if streamers are doing it. But I believe that most of this abuse isn’t streamer related.

As a frequent arena player I’m gonna add my 2 cents.

I faced a few insane decks at 8-9 wins but they are far and wide. most games can go either way with some decks discover/random scumming their way to victory.

truth is, it is easier to determine a strategy because every deck has a legendary in their first pick. You can actually build around certain mechanics now (or be unlucky and forced to retire)

1 Like

Actually, watching streamers playing good drafts is just a waste of time. I don’t get the appeal but if I really have to watch a livestream, I’d choose a good player playing an average strength deck.

2 Likes

I would argue that the specific driver of this rule change was less about highlander and more about leveling the playing field and reducing the incentives to just retire drafts until you get an outlier.

You understand that I do not care about the speaker’s tax plan if they label everyone they do not like as an enemy of the state? It is not propaganda to focus on facts that are salient over facts that are secondary.

But to put a finer point on this whole thing, instead of just coming out and saying you were owned, you are out here fighting to save face… that you do not have.

You insulted me, got shown the receipts, and then continue to dodge more than accept.

Gonna be honest, this whole thread sounds like skill issue.

I just had my first 12 win run in October, have had multiple 7-10 win runs since and I’m currently on a 5-1 (and I didn’t even think my current deck was that good).

Yeah, I’ve had a couple 1-3 or 2-3 runs mixed in, but it’s RNG, of course you’re bound to get a few bad decks.

It’s like you don’t know what I’m saying. Lol

I didn’t say they ban IP addresses. I was referring to using it as a tool to catch someone account sharing. You obviously wouldn’t ban the IP address, you’d ban the account. And, I wasn’t suggesting they were doing that, I was merely replying that using that wouldn’t be an easy solution to finding botters because it’s near useless.

1 Like