[iOS] Hearthstone backs up 1 GB to iCloud

On the most recent version of Hearthstone for iOS, if you have iCloud backup turned on, Hearthstone takes up about 1 GB of your backup (of which you only have a 5 GB allotment to begin with). In contrast, the WoW companion app only takes 4 MB (less than 1% as much).

I’m guessing that the extra high-res assets that get downloaded are being stored in the wrong location (local vs. roaming state).

Workaround: Settings > Apple ID > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups > This iPhone > uncheck Hearthstone

3 Likes

I would like to bump this thread. It has gotten even worse. Now it uses over 2GB for backup. Add phone and ipad, and it eats up my free quota completely by itself. Totally unreasonable.

This problem still persists.
I think that Blizzard should figure out how to avoid storing all the downloaded data (assets) on iCloud.

Dear Blizzard staff,
PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

As of today (10/13/21), the Hearthstone iOS app takes up… wait for it… 4.23 GB of my 4.55 GB iCloud backup. It is singlehandedly making me near my free iCloud storage limit.

Blizzard - get this fixed. I am not paying for monthly iCloud storage just because Hearthstone can’t figure out how to properly organize its files on iOS.

2 Likes

You are right. At least they can explain what they actually backing up? Probably it’s because to download game assets back from apple servers when someone reinstalls

Yeah this is pretty crazy. iCloud Backup for apps that use this much space should be disabled until the user accepts a popup or something. At least we’re able to manually disable it.

I just upgraded my phone and was trying to figure out why I couldn’t back up my phone to iCloud. Hearthstone is trying to backup 2.55GB of game files. How the hell is this still a problem after 3+ years?! Tons of other games download files on demand but they don’t have this problem. The game shouldn’t be identifying game assets as backup material.