Implement Auto-Squelch Toggle

WOW, revelation!

THIS WHOLE TIME… I was assuming these guys who want AS would assume that ALL SQUELCHING would be shut off? Seriously? Are they suggesting they could still BM me?

No no no, you don’t get to emote either. Common sense.

2 Likes

It’s almost like you think people who emotes are scums, cheaters, scammers. Not everyone is a BM’er. In my 10 lost games, maybe only 1 person says “well played” at the end of the game. If you consider that as BM… idk man… I don’t think emotes are to be blamed.

Spamming emotes at every turn, that’s probably just a bored kid or a really lame adult. Imo Blizzard should add report feature and put those people together… instead of auto-squelche.

2 Likes

Perhaps you don’t understand how squelch works. Squelch doesn’t keep you from emoting. It only keeps me from seeing it. It’s actually a “mute” rather than a “squelch”.

Why would they surrender their privilege to emote? What if they just automatically squelched themselves when they squelch their opponent? Doesn’t that really give the same effect?

So they can have fun being amused by their own emotes, even if the opponent can’t see them.

Ok. So if you send friend requests to everyone after every single match, then by all means create a new thread and suggest they add a toggle tht automatically sends out the request. Maybe you’ll get some support.

Personally, I don’t emote and wouldn’t be affected by not being able to emote. But wouldn’t it give you the same result if the squelch was mutual? I squelch you and automatically squelch myself. I wouldn’t see your emotes and you wouldn’t see mine. Would that be ok?

Pretty amusing to have Skruff simultaneously claiming “all emotes are BM and therefore bad” and “I want to be able to emote still.”

3 Likes

I have no issue with there being a complete squelch option, muting you and your opponent. Yes Please!

I made my friend request silly (and stupid) example to illustrate poor comparisons. I’m tired of hearing AS compared to other features and settings of the game such as volume and music etc.

Volume =/= Squelch just like Friends List =/= Squelch

Talk about squelch. Stop making dumb comparisons or I will too.

(I am addressing everyone Skruff, not singling you out)

Another dumb response I could make is, you press the opponents portrait how many times a game? It’s required to do damage to your opponent. Why is 1 more face press killing all of you?

I call that a dumb response because it’s more than a face press for you guys, again, I don’t get it, I still say suck it up it’s a cartoon bubble, but I have grown to respect your wishes and needs.

On that note I wish and need my intelligence not be insulted with dumb comparisons and comments too.

You misunderstand me. I am not interested in emoting. I’m just trying to get an understanding of why folks want the squelcher barred from using the emote button. It seems that the objection is along the lines of, “If you can’t see my emotes, then I don’t want to see yours.” Am I accurate there? So if a player were to squelch you during a match, you want to not allow them to BM you. Well, you could always squelch them. But it would seem that you are asking for the “counter-squelch” to be automatic. So conceptually, you seem to agree in some form of auto-squelch.

I would like to know, though, if you guys would agree that squelching the opponent resulting in a self-squelch would be satisfactory. Or do you really want to completely disable their emote button, barring them from using it even for their own amusement?

It’s more an issue of “you’re preemptively writing off as rude anything anyone might ever say to you, ever, which strikes us as pretty rude.”

I get where you’re going now. But obviously I come at this from a different perspective. To me, squelch is a setting. Turn it on or leave it off. So why not let it stick on whichever way you have it set at the conclusion of the match?

Ok. I respect that you feel that way. So in response to that, you’d like not to see any emotes I might push, right? Or are you saying I should be penalized such that I cannot use the emote button at all, not even for my personal amusement? That seems a little misguided.

Again, I personally wouldn’t be emoting, but another player might not want to see your emotes, but still wants to, say, cycle through the emotes of a new hero.

1 Like

It’s not a setting like volume because it’s not just about you.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to convey here. Are you saying that my perspective isn’t the only one that matters? Then of course I agree. Your perspective obviously differs. And your perspective also matters.

So, why do you think squelch should function differently than volume or screen resolution or language?

1 Like

The squelch function itself, and your desire to automate it, isn’t just about you.

People don’t have the “right” to automatically have their emotes heard. It’s annoying and unnecessary for the game experience. It should be something that can be permenantly toggled off.

3 Likes

Or maybe this entire thread is pointless. These are stupid one liner quotes in a card game. You already have the option to squelch your opponent, it doesn’t need automation. And if your opponent doesn’t emote, there’s no point to squelching them at all, you’re assuming everyone emotes to BM. If you’re really that triggered about your opponent emoting after beating you, you really need to get a grip. Either deal with squelching everyone for fear of being BMed, or just stop, because it’s getting sad.

Need? No. But it would be a nice and simple improvement that would make the game more enjoyable for many players.

No. I’m assuming anyone might be emoting to BM. So to avoid the possibility of that happening, I squelch at the start of every match. And since I’m doing that anyway, it would be nice to just turn squelch on and have it stay on.

I am. Even when I’m winning, if my opponent emotes an obnoxious Well Played if I make an error, it sours my whole game experience.

I get that this is an easy response for someone who isn’t as affected by the emotes as others may be.

Of course not. I am passionate about the issue. And I welcome comments from all perspectives for discussion and debate. Unfortunately, some have tried to make this about personalities and take personal potshots at me. Hopefully that behavor will stop.

3 Likes

I am going to post in this thread everytime I get tilted by emotes I do not want to see.

The way you reply in this post is so petty, just keep squelching every game. The devs aren’t going to add the feature just because you keep whining about it, and dismissing my response by saying I’m not affected by it is also really stupid. I hate getting BMed by some Hunter or Priest but I deal with it because it’s a game, with funny emotes, get over it.

Well, you do have the option to manually squelch. I use it. Unfortunately, far too often on mobile devices squelch just falls off on it’s own and I have to reapply it. That tends to happen when I experience a brief connection hiccup or get a phone call. Then I have to re-apply the squelch. Very annoying.
Hey, Mary Anne, anything on the QA team fixing that problem with squelch falling off on mobile devices?

/sarcasm
Really? Just get over it?!? Oh my! Thank you so much Dude!! I’d never thought of “just getting over it” as a solution to the issue. And I can’t believe nobody had suggested this wonderful and innovative idea in the ten thousand posts on the topic.
/sarcasm off

Seriously though, I get that you aren’t as affected by the emotes as others might be. But you need to understand that not everyone experiences the game the same way you do. You might get a little miffed for a few seconds and then start a new game. Other people are much more strongly affected and they may choose to put the game down and not play for a while. That’s not a good thing. People feel the way they feel. They don’t just “get over it” because you typed it in a post.

2 Likes

If you can’t get over it, that’s a huge problem. How do you function in life if an emote triggers you this much, how do you react to actual people if this is your response to a game. Nobody cares if you stop playing because you were triggered by someone emoting, especially the devs. I implore you, that if the game affects you this much, just stop playing, because you’re really way more toxic than the people who BM with emotes.

1 Like

Wow, someone is really insecured here. What is your issue with this option ? If it happens to exist, you won’t have to use it you know.
How do you function in life if you need to constantly disagree with something which is not even related to you nor have any negative impact on anybody.

Edit : Really wondering who is toxic here

3 Likes