I’ve collected my SPX files and also took some screenshots of the Activity Monitor & Fan speed. All sent to the
From what I can see the main issue is the CPU & GPU utilisation which increase the inside temperature and push the Fan to run full speed.
Let me describe the screenshots (timestamps in AEST TZ):
- “Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.42.47 am” - Showing CPU/GPU usage + temperature after running Hearthstone since a couple of minutes in the main menu
- “Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.49.38 am” - Showing my HS graphic setting during a game
- “Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.49.49 am” - Showing CPU/GPU usage + temperature during a game - then concede the game
- “Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.52.10 am” - Showing CPU/GPU usage + temperature after opening the Journal since 1 minute. (GPU usage increased, high Temperature & Fan running at max speed)
- “Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.52.28 am” - Showing CPU/GPU usage + temperature after closing the journal (CPU/GPU usage & temperature dropped, Fan still running high)
- “Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 10.53.00 am” - Showing CPU/GPU usage + temperature 30 secondes after closing the Journal (CPU/GPU & temperature dropped, Fan slowing down)
I did not reset the SMC and/or PRAM as the main issue seems to be related to the load from the game itself.
You laptop goes to sleep, when it’s overheating too much trying to protect the component fro high temperature. This is usually related with high CPU/GPU activity and the fans running at full speed not able to drop the temperature.
As the laptop goes to sleep, all running applications will be restored when restarting your laptop. If you don’t allow enough time for the inside temperature to drop, you will face the same problem again and again.
Please be aware that every time that your laptop goes to sleep to protect itself, this also means that component may start to be damaged.
I’m playing with Low graphical details, not running Full screen to keep an eye on the temperature.
I will suggest you to reduce the graphic details if you have set some higher value, and avoid playing too much and to monitor the temperature and fan speed as describe in my first comment.
I hope that can help you to play some games without damaging your laptop.