How to play around the algorithm

The OP must be willing to list out the conditions into specific. What are the decks, what is the test size, etc, etc.

Vagueness and derail will always follow. In worse case, you will be lead along being derailed from your original intention.

Save your energy.

It reminds me of the reason I don’t believe in any god. Being all knowing, and all powerful (as gods are typically described as), any observation made is compatible with that belief. There is essentially no evidence that can be presented to disprove this belief. We can point out logical fallacies all we want, but at the end of the day there’s no counter evidence to be produced.

Some of these people in regard to matchmaking manipulation will go as far as to say that they would not believe there isn’t this manipulation even if the ‘actual’ code were released to them. Why? Well, because, that wouldn’t be the real code, of course.

It’s insulating one’s belief.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly.

To be fair, I have no desire to play the game now as is. This might give me energy to do so. But I would 100% lay out terms and have the OP solidify acknowledgement that if X happens or doesn’t happen then they will admit their claim holds no water.

Because of this, I don’t expect the OP the provide such a thing. People don’t like to be held accountable. The last person I did this with wouldn’t be specific enough either and they bailed. I expect the same outcome here.

lol we might be more alike in our beliefs than we think
Does the following list of people mean anything to you?
Christopher Hitchens
Sam Harris
Richard Dawkins
Carl Sagan
Dan Barker
Daniel Dennett

hahaha :+1:

2 Likes

I’ll get you that when you provide me with the information that backs up your statements.

You don’t get to say “No, it doesn’t work that way” without showing us your work.

Stop with the “can’t prove a negative” garbage. I’m not asking you to.

I’m asking you to prove a POSISITVE. I want the HS instruction manual.

Show me the information that states how things DO work.

Stating how things are done will easily disprove anything else said to the contrary.

If HS states “HS matchmaking includes only Black teapots” then anyone who speaks of Red teapots around Pluto will automatically be wrong, right?

If your name is Jeremy, and I keep calling you Ralph. I am not asking you to prove your name ISNT RALPH (proving the negative) you can shut me up by showing me your identification and SIMPLY showing me that your name is POSITIVLY Jeremy.

Do you understand?

So, go show me how things actually work, with proof and links to official Blizzard sources and statements, then anything to the contrary is wrong.

Right Ralph?

1 Like

Every single one mean something to me. Some less than others. :wink:

Q: How does matchmaking work for each season?

A: There are two matchmaking pools: matchmaking by rating (aka. MMR) and by rank.

When your star bonus multiplier is bigger than 1, or you are in Legend rank, you are (generally) in the first matchmaking pool; when your star bonus drops to 1, you are in the second pool.

Q: Why are there two matchmaking pools?

A: Since each player starts at the bottom of the ladder at start, we want fair matches for everyone (aka. win-rate close to 50%). At that time, your progression on ladder is protected by your star bonus, thus your net expected gain will be positive through the ladder. Once other players run out of star bonuses, matching by rank will allow for good players, or players who want to push themselves a bit, to be able to progress to a higher rank.

In short, having two matchmaking pools helps players progress in the ladder without having to grind as much, while still making most matches fair.

Q: If I “tank” my MMR at certain rank floor, will I be matched with easier opponents next season because you are matchmaking by MMR at the start?

A: No, in general you won’t. At the start of the season we will recover your MMR to certain threshold if it is dropped below that value, which is based on what your rank is in the previous season. Therefore, there would be no benefits to intentionally tank your MMR.

Q: How many stars bonuses do I get at the start of the season?

A: It depends on your current MMR and the rank you reached from your previous season, whichever gives a higher value. Generally, the minimal initial star bonuses you get for each rank floor you reached are:

Damn this lying Blizzard people the voices in my head say its rigged , why would i losse so many matchs otherwise no way im to blame and need to actualy improve .
I was born perfect if im not winning its because the whole game is rigged against me for reasons.

4 Likes

Orion

I have been asking for something like this for months, thank you. Could I have gone and looked it up, probably. I do appreciate you providing this.

One of the reasons I wanted it provided FOR me is because I am/was super curious where all of these people get their facts they are SO SURE OF.

Ty again

1 Like

No banter when you get what you wanted …bah you re no fun lmao.

WELL, I could pick it apart, but I’m tired. Looks legit and I have no problem assembling facts to be evaluated for the future.

Because I determine what I post, how I post, and when I post.
Any other boring questions?

Haha. This is not directed at you, good denizen.

Pot. Kettle. Black

You mean the post that quotes what I say, then asks a direct question related to my quote?
Yeah, there’s no way that was directed at me.

No, no. It’s in reference to person B asking person A why they bother posting because their post is “irrelevant.” Person B fails to see their hypocrisy.

I’ll be honest right now because it’ll probably bite me in the butt. I’m a massive hypocrite myself. So, there’s that.

If that’s how it works, you have no reason to be irritated by my reply.
Because we have the ‘‘right’’ to post what we want.

And before you claim you weren’t, we both know you were.

Uhh, probably luck is a bigger factor in deciding outcomes between decks that are evenly matched. Most decks win rates don’t improve drastically with increasing skill bands. Granted this can be difficult to tease out given the shifts in meta, completeness of decks, and skill level all being confounding variables.

Sure I do, I had to repeat my comment because you failed to read it in its entirety.

Hey look, person A continued the discussion aimed at me.
Interesting, right?

Wait what, that’s directed at me ?

I asked OP what streamer used his strategy to ‘‘counter’’ the rigged matchmaking or whatever he was talking about and Emerica gave me an example of a streamer who occasionally did that to entertain his audience, which has nothing to do with what OP described.

Which made me feel obliged to explain why his example is irrelevant to my question. How’s that hypocrisy ? My question is literally aimed at his topic and got an irrelevant answer.

it’s like asking why Kazakus is overpowered and having someone reply ‘‘snowfall guardian is overpowered too’’ which is completely irrelevant to the question.

False. There aren’t two pools.

The matchmaking attempts to match you with an opponent who has a similar MMR and the same rank. The longer you’re in queue, the more tolerant the matchmaking becomes regarding MMR and rank being further apart. It’s possible for Diamond 4 players to be matched against Legend players with very low MMR (generally from playing nothing but meme decks after getting to Legend — I’ve experienced this myself playing Boar Hunter). Or in other words it’s one pool where both factors, MMR and rank, are considered.

This is mostly false. Although there is a cap on how low you can tank your MMR based on your rank, tanking MMR to cap is lower MMR than not tanking it at all. If you are in Bronze 10 and queue up on the first day of the month, there’s going to be LOTS of players still at that rank, and you’re going to be matched with someone who has a similar MMR. The further into the month it gets, the more this effect is diluted as players tend to settle into ranks appropriate to their skill level.

It’s not that there’s no benefit to intentionally tank your MMR; it’s that the benefit is capped and has a “halflife” that fades over time.

I fully understood your comment.

You said:

What he does is clearly NOT what OP described. He does not try to ‘‘play around the algorithm’’ and it seems like you failed to understand how the 2 were different. At least you didn’t make it clear, so that’s on you, not me.

Just FYI, that’s a post from the forum manager directly quoting the Devs blog post.