Holding packs for better time?

Hello, everyone!
I am wondering is there a reason to hold packs until a better time or should I open them right away?
I have got a top tier deck and I am focused on it, but now I have a lot of packs.

Open them right away. No special events to save them for. Note: try to open packs from the same expansion at once, as opening a pack from a different expansion resets the pity timer.

Thank you for your answer!

There are other online card games where holding onto packs can be beneficial, but not here.

Where did you hear that? I’ve never seen any evidence of this, and I believe it is incorrect. I have read about the pity timer and how it works. From my reading and my understanding there is a separate pity timer for each set and it progresses with every pack you open.

Personally I have only hit the pity timer for a Legendary like 1 time, so I can’t say if switching affected it, but I believe that is incorrect.

This is part of the reason why I hate the “Year of the Dragon” packs and the “Hunter” packs because even if the pack contains only 1 set’s worth of cards like Classic or Descent of Dragons, those limited run packs have their own pity timer. So, if you’ve opened 39 packs of classic without getting a Legend and you open an all classic Hunter pack then you may not find a Legendary.

That’s how I understand it. If there is some evidence otherwise, please post it.

Thanks.

Stop spreading misinformation, cause this is not true.
Each set has it’s own pity timer.

I would wait til tomorrow for the big announcement, when we clearly know what the system revamp is going to be.

2 Likes

If you already have the packs, waiting till later to open them could make a difference, but that is very rare. A year ago, if you opened a classic pack it might have had Leeroy Jenkins, but that is no longer true. However, now it might have Natalie Seline, but that was not true one year ago.

Witchwood packs could once have had Baku or Genn, but that is no longer true.

I don’t remember any cards every being later “added” to any set other than Basic, Classic, or Hall of Fame (and so far you can’t have Basic or HoF packs).

When you can temporarily get full dust for a card that might be in one of your packs (such as Evocation from Descent of Dragons or Year of the Dragon, or Mage-only packs), you should almost certainly open them.

Waiting until tomorrow’s news is probably good advice.

Edit: Occasionally the rules change and you might have some reason to open before (or after) the rule change. For instance duplicate protection was added a few expansions ago, and opening packs with duplicate protection in place is almost always better (and almost never worse).

You probably already opened and didn’t answer anymore, just asked and thanked me for expecting more and more positive and attractive responses.

With the new expansion, there will now be some reason to hold onto some your packs, as there will be a new mini-set of 35 cards halfway through the expansion cycle.

The 35 new cards will come from the same packs. So if for example you’ve opened all commons/rares already, save some packs, so that you will open the new ones in the mini-set when it is released.

I agree… this is one of the unique cases where it does make sense to hold a few packs. This, just like other instances where it makes sense, is a special case as (to my knowledge) releasing a mini-set in the pre-existing card packs is a first for HS.

That being said, I doubt I will be able to hold onto any of my bundle packs until December when the mini-set launches. And… I’m willing to bet that is exactly what Blizzard is hoping for.

You can hold onto your Ranked reward packs, possibly.

I wonder how many to hold? For a normal release (135 cards) it takes about 60 packs to get two copies of all rares. For a 35-card mini-release (less than a third of that), having twenty packs should be plenty.

12-20 packs sounds about right.

I held onto 20… figuring that will net me 4 Epic, 20 Rare, 80 common, and 1 legendary. The trick will be not opening them until December. I think I will make it.